Sid: Hard to believe top-20 finalists for the John Wooden Award didn’t include Murphy

Forget the Wooden, there’s a possibility Murphy may not even make first team All-Big Ten. I’d say 4 of the 5 spots are already locked down (Winston, Edwards, Happ and Brazdeikis), so he’ll need to battle with Cook, Ward and Langford, among others, for the final slot.

It isn’t surprising. He isn’t even close to a top 20 player.
Definitely a top 100 player. Not a top 20 player.

It isn’t surprising. He isn’t even close to a top 20 player.
Definitely a top 100 player. Not a top 20 player.

Just my opinion but by production i would give him 1st team all Big 10. WE maybe have 3 conference wins max without him. 3rd team all american but he will not get it. Retired Jersey he will.

Just my opinion but by production i would give him 1st team all Big 10. WE maybe have 3 conference wins max without him. 3rd team all american but he will not get it. Retired Jersey he will.

He is close on 1st all big ten.
I hope he gets it but I bet he doesn’t. We won’t win enough games.

He would be a better player if he did less. If you take away every offensive play where he tried to dribble more than once (good and bad results) he would be a net better player.

He would be a better player if he did less. If you take away every offensive play where he tried to dribble more than once (good and bad results) he would be a net better player.

This. I love Jordan, he is an all-time favorite but if there's a flaw in his game besides his uncanny knack to pick up inexcusable fouls, it's that his offensive game is to score on putbacks and the garbage baskets on a miss. His post up game is not very good and him dribbling the ball more than twice is a trainwreck waiting to happen more often than not.

This. I love Jordan, he is an all-time favorite but if there's a flaw in his game besides his uncanny knack to pick up inexcusable fouls, it's that his offensive game is to score on putbacks and the garbage baskets on a miss. His post up game is not very good and him dribbling the ball more than twice is a trainwreck waiting to happen more often than not.

Fortunately for Jordan and his stat line, he plays on a team that can't shoot so there's plenty of opportunities for offensive rebounds and put-backs. Wish his teammates would go to the boards with the same determination.

I love Murph, but it’s not a given he’ll even be 2nd team All Big Ten. Top 20 in the country is a huge stretch.

Fortunately for Jordan and his stat line, he plays on a team that can't shoot so there's plenty of opportunities for offensive rebounds and put-backs. Wish his teammates would go to the boards with the same determination.

That's kind of what I'm alluding too: Jordan's offensive game should be him going up for second chance attempts, not him trying to dribble from the top of the key in (guaranteed charge) or him trying to use post moves on guys because he can't do that consistently.

If Murph had developed a consistent 3 point shot, he would be on all the lists. His inability to stretch a defense hurts his chances.

Mike Daum is on there. Solid player. But if Murph played against the talent that Daum plays against, he maybe would be the NCAA all time leading rebounder and average about 25pts a game.

Top Bottom