Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Reminds me of the old "territorial" picks the NFL used to have.
    AFL. Don’t recall the NFL doing that. Unless you mean NBA.
    Dux Servus

So the Gophers are with San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by amk8930 View Post
    So the Gophers are with San Diego?
    Stelter, Travis and Nelson are with San Diego, Cobb San Antonio.

I found a tweet that partially explained things. First-tier, each team has a list of schools within the footprint of the AAF they have first rights to players associated with those teams. Second-tier, if a player isn't associated with reserved college team, each team has has a list of associated NFL and CFL teams, The teams have first rights to the players based on the last pro team they were with. Third-tier, free agents not covered by tier one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    I found a tweet that partially explained things. First-tier, each team has a list of schools within the footprint of the AAF they have first rights to players associated with those teams. Second-tier, if a player isn't associated with reserved college team, each team has has a list of associated NFL and CFL teams, The teams have first rights to the players based on the last pro team they were with. Third-tier, free agents not covered by tier one or two.
    That’s not something one sees very often

ESPN now has an article.

I only heard of a draft for quarterbacks. How were other players assigned?

Three ways. First, the league figured out the top 30 NFL-producing colleges over the past 10 seasons (USC is No. 1), and gave each team three high-producing schools. Then they gave teams up to 30 other area schools in a certain range to pull allocations from.

If a player doesn't fit that grouping, they also assigned four NFL teams to each AAF team; if a player played for a team or was in training camp with a team, then his rights were given to the respective AAF team. This was done with both geographic and population data (for instance, San Antonio has the Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs and Eagles).

There is also at least one CFL team assigned to each team. If a player hits none of these lists, then there was a first-come, first-served rights list of 25 players. If multiple teams put in a request for the same player, they went by their waiver list.

"We may tweak it depending on what we see, but the concept is good," Polian said. "We know the concept is good, because it's working."

That placed Richardson on Birmingham, Murray on Atlanta and Asiata on Salt Lake City, for example.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ootball-season

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    ESPN now has an article.

I only heard of a draft for quarterbacks. How were other players assigned?

Three ways. First, the league figured out the top 30 NFL-producing colleges over the past 10 seasons (USC is No. 1), and gave each team three high-producing schools. Then they gave teams up to 30 other area schools in a certain range to pull allocations from.

If a player doesn't fit that grouping, they also assigned four NFL teams to each AAF team; if a player played for a team or was in training camp with a team, then his rights were given to the respective AAF team. This was done with both geographic and population data (for instance, San Antonio has the Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs and Eagles).

There is also at least one CFL team assigned to each team. If a player hits none of these lists, then there was a first-come, first-served rights list of 25 players. If multiple teams put in a request for the same player, they went by their waiver list.

"We may tweak it depending on what we see, but the concept is good," Polian said. "We know the concept is good, because it's working."

That placed Richardson on Birmingham, Murray on Atlanta and Asiata on Salt Lake City, for example.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ootball-season
    I would have chosen talent Rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Kind of sucks that they do it based on region yet they stick all of the teams in the south. Seems like it will be much harder for Gopher players to make a roster than guys from southern schools.

Like most things in the modern world, this system of allocating players seems needlessly complicated.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGophersUMN View Post
    Kind of sucks that they do it based on region yet they stick all of the teams in the south. Seems like it will be much harder for Gopher players to make a roster than guys from southern schools.
    The Big Ten schools are still assigned to an AAF team even if they aren't in the area. The Gophers must be assigned to San Diego since Stetler and Travis are playing for them. Cobb is on a different team because it's based on his time in the NFL.
    Last edited by GophersInIowa; 02-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.

I love the idea that Gopher alum in general are on one team... makes a rooting allegiance natural.

How'd the three of them look? Any stats?

Here are the Wikipedia pages for the San Diego Fleet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Fleet and the San Antonio Commanders https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Commanders
    Minnesota isn't listed on either one. David Cobb is on San Antonio based on the Sasktatchewan Rough Riders being his last pro team. Damarius Travis was last with the Patriots so which ever team has those rights must have passed on him.

Quote Originally Posted by PoockItInfor6 View Post
    I love the idea that Gopher alum in general are on one team... makes a rooting allegiance natural.
    Yep. Also, regarding that San Diego team, I REALLY like their name and logo. It's a perfect tie-in for the city of San Diego, and that logo in my opinion is just top-notch.

SD---800x600 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I would have chosen talent Rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kind of what they did if they just counted guys that made nfl rosters.
    Jamarcus Russell counts the same as Tom Brady if that’s what they did