Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No more kickoffs. Thoughts?

So this new AAF league starting tonight has no kickoffs. Teams just take the ball at the 25. I think we can all imagine a world where this eventually happens in college and/or pro football.

My first reaction was that sounds fine, we'll adapt. A lot of the time they come back from commercial, we watch it get kicked for a touchback (or increasingly in NCAA, fair caught), then there's another stoppage while things get set up, etc.

Then I considered what would be lost, and it's a biggie. If there were no kickoffs, then there would be no onside kicks. Thus, a whole lot of theoretically close games in the 4th quarter (relying on one or more onside kicks) would no longer be close. That could cause 4th quarters to be a lot less interesting, and the margin "cut line" for a game people keep watching would get moved up by quite a bit.

The AAF apparently thought of this, though. They are going to give a team a 4th-and-10 from their own 35 in lieu of an onside kick. Make it, take it. I like it.

If they do away with kickoffs we better not call it football anymore since the feet will no longer be involved in the game

It's really odd that they call it football in the first place.

It's like someone had a really bad misunderstanding and no one decided to ever correct it.
    Go Gophers!

Watching the Alliance game tonight the lack of a kickoff really takes away from the excitement of the game. Not to mention it takes away opportunities for field position and better opportunity for points. At some point everyone that watches and participates is going to have to accept there’s some risk and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    It's really odd that they call it football in the first place.

It's like someone had a really bad misunderstanding and no one decided to ever correct it.
    To be fair, the rules are completely different now from when the game started.
    Things such as touchdowns being worth 6, forward passes, etc

The land of cows, colleges and content providers.
    Blog Entries

How is this for an idea. After every touchdown, the ball is put on the 50 yard line. Both teams line up their 11 men on the line of scrimmage, arms linked. The team that can move the ball 5 yards gets control of the ball. Play will not end until the ball is moved 5 yards. The clock will not be involved. Once a side is determined for control, play resumes at the 20 yard line of their own side.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

A dumb idea because it is a major part of the game. But if you think that's bad, wait 'til they let women play (i.e. force women to be allowed to play) and outlaw tackling. If the right people get political power, such dictated changes will become routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Plains Gopher View Post
    But if you think that's bad, wait 'til they let women play (i.e. force women to be allowed to play) and outlaw tackling. If the right people get political power, such dictated changes will become routine.
    What are you talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Great Plains Gopher View Post
    A dumb idea because it is a major part of the game. But if you think that's bad, wait 'til they let women play (i.e. force women to be allowed to play) and outlaw tackling. If the right people get political power, such dictated changes will become routine.
    Oh please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fine with it happening in this league because it definitely does increase the pace of play but I wouldn't want it to happen in the NFL, college or highschool. Need to keep the game pure.

It's the correct way the game should evolve. It's basically the Schiano plan, except 4th and 12 instead of 4th and 15 (the yardage is an easy variable to change ... it simply sets the statistical rate over converting the play, like how often teams convert an onside kick).

No extra point kicks either, just 2pt plays. I also agree with this.

They still have regular FG of course, and punts, which will always have to stay part of the game, but are far, far less injury prone.

Kickoffs are easily the worst play in football. Vast majority are just touchbacks. But the risk of injury is just as high because the blockers never know if the guy is going to run it out or not, they still have to slam into each other at full speed.

And the kickoffs that actually do go for touchdowns are very boring, and almost devoid of any strategy.

There's a great Youtube video proving the above facts, using statistics of all Kickoffs over the last 10-15 years I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    It's the correct way the game should evolve. It's basically the Schiano plan, except 4th and 12 instead of 4th and 15 (the yardage is an easy variable to change ... it simply sets the statistical rate over converting the play, like how often teams convert an onside kick).

No extra point kicks either, just 2pt plays. I also agree with this.

They still have regular FG of course, and punts, which will always have to stay part of the game, but are far, far less injury prone.

Kickoffs are easily the worst play in football. Vast majority are just touchbacks. But the risk of injury is just as high because the blockers never know if the guy is going to run it out or not, they still have to slam into each other at full speed.

And the kickoffs that actually do go for touchdowns are very boring, and almost devoid of any strategy.

There's a great Youtube video proving the above facts, using statistics of all Kickoffs over the last 10-15 years I believe.
    Responding to bolded in order

Maybe, but I’ve never seen great evidence that more concussions are suffered on kickoffs, and let’s be real, that’s the injury everyone is (legally) worried about. IMO, if we start taking away key pieces of the game in an effort to eliminate concussions (critics will never be satisfied until this happens) it’s a slippery slope to many changes.

This is when we all realize you’re being a contrarian. Kickoff returns are among the most exciting TDs in football.

Let’s see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Maybe, but I’ve never seen great evidence that more concussions are suffered on kickoffs, and let’s be real, that’s the injury everyone is (legally) worried about. IMO, if we start taking away key pieces of the game in an effort to eliminate concussions (critics will never be satisfied until this happens) it’s a slippery slope to many changes.
    I'm not big on the slippery slope argument. I think it is used far too often to prevent something that would have been good and meaningful, without a shred of evidence that further actions would be taken after that which go "too far".

Kickoff returns are among the most exciting TDs in football.

Let’s see it.
    Obviously I can't "disprove" your opinion. You can make up any opinion you want.

So this is just this guy's opinion too, which you're free to argue he's just making up to get clicks/views. There is no objective correct answer on if it is an exciting play.

There is no evidence that KO are any more dangerous that any other play.

I'd like to see a study about pass plays over the middle when the QB fails to look off the DBs. Inexperienced QBs should be banned.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Responding to bolded in order

This is when we all realize you’re being a contrarian. Kickoff returns are among the most exciting TDs in football.

Let’s see it.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.943396

Table 3 of Report