Reaction score
@Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
@Northwestern
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland

We need 4 of these. Other than today, we've been playing hard and in every game since the Illinois debacle. I think we will be dialed back in on Wednesday. But really, asking us to beat a couple lower teams on the road and take down one of the best teams at home is not asking that much for a team with our experience and talent. It's not. Question is, will the vets show up down the stretch?

If they don't and we don't make the tourney, I'm 100% okay with a change at the top.

I can see anywhere from 1-6 to 5-2. However, the former feels more likely.

I only see us winning two of these games: Indiana & Rutgers.

Nebraska is a trap game. Neb needs a win and we are just the team to give it to them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We never win at Nebraska - our offense is atrocious (people have figured out Coffey and Murphy)

I only see us winning two of these games: Indiana & Rutgers.

Nebraska is a trap game. Neb needs a win and we are just the team to give it to them.

We were playing good ball against the top teams before this gnarly 2-game offensive funk. Even with nothing going on offense, we still battled Sconny to one possession near the end. So I guess I'm banking on us pulling our heads out of our asses as far as shooting.

Regardless, after Nebraska loses at Purdue today, that will be 7 in a row. Their confidence can't be high. We'll see how much Tim can get out of them.

Regardless, after Nebraska loses at Purdue today, that will be 7 in a row. Their confidence can't be high. We'll see how much Tim can get out of them.

Gophers have lost 3 in a row. Same could be said about them Pitino.

I don’t see this team as mentally or physically tough enough to win 2 out of the 4 road games no matter who they play.

Also don’t see them sweeping the 3 home games. Unless something drastically changes the Gophers at this point look headed to the NIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll spell it out for you.

This team is S-A-W-F-T, sawwffttt!!!

Gophers have lost 3 in a row. Same could be said about them Pitino.

I don’t see this team as mentally or physically tough enough to win 2 out of the 4 road games no matter who they play.

Also don’t see them sweeping the 3 home games. Unless something drastically changes the Gophers at this point look headed to the NIT.

This week is definitely make or break. We can see what Pitino is made of as a coach and a motivator.

I'll spell it out for you.

This team is S-A-W-F-T, sawwffttt!!!

They showed a lot of grit at Wisconsin, at Michigan and against Iowa at home.

I am going with four wins. We pull it together and win four or five

I think we only need 3

This team won't get in the NCAA tournament with 3 more wins because the team simply won't be rated highly enough. How much do you think beating Nebraska, Northwestern, and Indiana or Rutgers is going to move the needle if we lose the other 4 games (with three of them possibly being by double digits)?

This team won't get in the NCAA tournament with 3 more wins because the team simply won't be rated highly enough. How much do you think beating Nebraska, Northwestern, and Indiana or Rutgers is going to move the needle if we lose the other 4 games (with three of them possibly being by double digits)?

As Selection Sunday has noted- it depends on who you beat. If they beat Purdue and Michigan then 1 more might do it. Otherwise, because they have been routed three times now, we need to be 10-10 or better. The team is in a funk. We'll see how they respond.

Agreed. I think the only way 3 more wins is good enough is if Michigan, Purdue or Maryland is one of them. Which means multiple potentially bad losses to Nebraska, IU, Rutgers or NW.

Why do you think beating the most reeling team in the conference is going to be some kind of test of the Gophers' mettle? I could easily see the team beating Nebraska, Northwestern, and maybe pulling out one more. I don't see why that performance over the last seven games should impress anyone.

Why do you think beating the most reeling team in the conference is going to be some kind of test of the Gophers' mettle? I could easily see the team beating Nebraska, Northwestern, and maybe pulling out one more. I don't see why that performance over the last seven games should impress anyone.

No one is saying that a win there is a great achievement. But a loss there is devastating. And winning on the road in the B1G is hard.

Because we haven't been good on the road, especially not in Lincoln. Everyone is expecting us to lose now. I think its an important first step on getting back on a good path

@Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
@Northwestern
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland

We need 4 of these. Other than today, we've been playing hard and in every game since the Illinois debacle. I think we will be dialed back in on Wednesday. But really, asking us to beat a couple lower teams on the road and take down one of the best teams at home is not asking that much for a team with our experience and talent. It's not. Question is, will the vets show up down the stretch?

If they don't and we don't make the tourney, I'm 100% okay with a change at the top.

+1 This is where I am at. Play the games. If Pitino can't get it done, then so be it.

If sneaking into the tournament means Pitino is back then.....

None of these games will move the needle up or down either way in the net rankings.
Hell, penn State is still in the top 100

@Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
@Northwestern
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland

Could you give a break down of games against the big boys, 50-50 games, and games we will likely be favored in....and then figure out how we need to do in each category in order to make the tournament?

Thanks

If sneaking into the tournament means Pitino is back then.....

I get what your saying.

From someone who thinks Pitino should be gone if they don’t make the tourney I’ve come to believe he will be back next year regardless of how this season ends.

@Nebraska. We pull together and win
Indiana. We win
Michigan. We either beat Mich or Purdue at home - one of the two good wins left
@Northwestern. We win one of the road games at NW or Rutgers
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland. We lose.

That puts us at 10-10. Would that get us in?

Indiana. We win
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland. We lose.

Without question IMO

I get what your saying.

From someone who thinks Pitino should be gone if they don’t make the tourney I’ve come to believe he will be back next year regardless of how this season ends.

Why do you think that? Did Coyle not show himself willing to make a change when he easily could of stuck with the incumbent with the football program?

Indiana. We win
@Rutgers
Purdue
@Maryland. We lose.

That plus a win in the B1G tourney would likely be enough. About 80% chance we’d be in

That coupled with losing our first B1G tourney game would really depend on how the other bubble teams finished their seasons. Maybe 30% to get in

Why do you think that? Did Coyle not show himself willing to make a change when he easily could of stuck with the incumbent with the football program?

Different situations. Football coach was given the job by default and kept on by an interim AD. Coyle wanted his guy running the football program. Though Coyle didn’t hire Pitino word has been Coyle likes him.

Even though not making the tourney this year IMO should be the end of Pitino I just have the feeling Coyle gives him another year.

Last edited:

That plus a win in the B1G tourney would likely be enough. About 80% chance we’d be in

That coupled with losing our first B1G tourney game would really depend on how the other bubble teams finished their seasons. Maybe 30% to get in

If you think 10-10 minnesota who loses to someone like Iowa in their first big ten tourney game only would have a 30% chance of getting in, you clearly don’t pay attention to college basketball outside the big ten.

Right now these teams are in bracket matrix’ first 8 out:
13-10 Nebraska
18-5 Utah state
15-8 Clemson
12-10 Florida
14-8 Arkansas
13-10 creighton
14-10 butler
21-3 UNC Greensborough

Here are some teams that are currently in:
Indiana 13-10
Temple 17-7
Central Florida 16-5
Seton hall 13-9

Seriously. The bubble sucks.
We are probably no worse than a 50/50 shot if we go 9-11 and avoid a bad loss in the BTT

Different situations. Football coach was given the job by default and kept on by an interim AD. Coyle wanted his guy running the football program. Though Coyle didn’t hire Pitino word has been Coyle likes him.

Even though not making the tourney this year IMO should be the end of Pitino I just have the feeling Coyle gives him another year.

Id guess a lot depends how we finish the season. If we have no fight and they look like they did today, I think he would make a move. But I don't see that kind of finish happening. McBrayer has to eventually pull it together and Murphy will be battling for his last shot at the tourney

If you think 10-10 minnesota who loses to someone like Iowa in their first big ten tourney game only would have a 30% chance of getting in, you clearly don’t pay attention to college basketball outside the big ten.

Right now these teams are in bracket matrix’ first 8 out:
13-10 Nebraska
18-5 Utah state
15-8 Clemson
12-10 Florida
14-8 Arkansas
13-10 creighton
14-10 butler
21-3 UNC Greensborough

Here are some teams that are currently in:
Indiana 13-10
Temple 17-7
Central Florida 16-5
Seton hall 13-9

Seriously. The bubble sucks.
We are probably no worse than a 50/50 shot if we go 9-11 and avoid a bad loss in the BTT

Sorry that you don’t like it but that’s the way it is.

The bubble is getting better. Clemson beat Va Tech today. Butler picked up a Q1 win at Georgetown. One of Seton Hall or Creighton is going to pick up a quality win today since they play each other.

This site breaks it down by number of wins. Not saying this is perfect, but it seems to be more in line with my percentages than yours.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/minnesota-golden-gophers/bracketology

Haha. We wouldn’t really even be a bubble team at 9-11

Last edited:

Top Bottom