Off ball movement

upnorthkid

Reaction score
Watching this team is painful in many ways on the offensive end but something I just can’t understand is the utter lack of movement away from the ball. You watch Mich St and their guys are cutting constantly or floating to shooting locations when the post has the ball. It’s so easy to make it easier on yourself if you cut hard and make yourself available and the players just don’t put the effort in. Whether that’s coaching or will I don’t know, but it’s incredibly frustrating

Watching this team is painful in many ways on the offensive end but something I just can’t understand is the utter lack of movement away from the ball. You watch Mich St and their guys are cutting constantly or floating to shooting locations when the post has the ball. It’s so easy to make it easier on yourself if you cut hard and make yourself available and the players just don’t put the effort in. Whether that’s coaching or will I don’t know, but it’s incredibly frustrating

Funny. I was literally just opening Gopherhole to post something like this.
Everywhere the Gophers go on offense is SLOW. No one goes to their destination with a purpose or sense of urgency. It is painful to watch.
And for your last question. It absolutely is coaching. Sad to say, but these boys don't have the level of respect they need to have for Coach Pitino. That, or they have literally no idea what they are doing on offense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

very true, great post

this offensive stagnation is particularly obvious when IW is on the floor. He is probing the defense, getting into the lane, drawing defenders, and looking for cutting teammates, yet everybody else is just standing as if their feet are in cement.

Pitino's offensive system is so incredibly unimaginative. Maybe he is limited because there's no shooters out on the floor, but it certainly is not designed to take advantage of the players' talents.

I’ve stated this a few games ago. It’s a problem when Murphy is receiving the ball just inside the 3 point line. He then tries to back down his defender gets called for an offensive foul, travels, or loses the ball. Oturu is the only big who is willing to bang down low and actually post up. And aside from the 3 man weave at the top of the key I have nothing else.

I’ve stated this a few games ago. It’s a problem when Murphy is receiving the ball just inside the 3 point line. He then tries to back down his defender gets called for an offensive foul, travels, or loses the ball. Oturu is the only big who is willing to bang down low and actually post up. And aside from the 3 man weave at the top of the key I have nothing else.

We are awful at feeding the post. Isn't this a fundamental skill kids should learn by HS? I guess not, because all kids concentrate on is dunking and jacking up threes. Our post players rarely fight for post up position and when they do, the wings don't feed them the ball. So the bigs quit working for position -- why bother? The coaches and the bigs need to DEMAND that the ball gets fed inside, then kicked back out if a double team comes. Of course, it would help if a guard could knock down an occasional shot.

Top Bottom