Pitino said Gophers are looking into playing Brock Stull more to give 3 pt threat

Not really, but I might try it for a stretch if I was Pitino. Either way, I would get McBrayer out of the starting 5 right now. He is hurting them this season.

That lineup would make both offense and defense more difficult for us. I wouldn't try it even for a second.

I agree that Dupree needs his minutes reduced though. Start IW and let him play 25+ minutes.

Stull's reluctance to shoot is really amazing. I just double checked his 3 pt stats for his last two seasons at UWM:

57-143 / .399
72-190 / .379

The dude was bombing over 6 3's a game last season and now looks paralyzed by fear. Something doesn't add up even considering he's out of shape and factoring in the step up in competition.

How long does it take a guy to get into shape? Guys been practicing everyday for over 4 months and he isn't in shape yet?

That’s a very good question, but go look at photos of him in action at Milwaukee. Dude looked strong and looked like a D1 athlete. Now look at him in a gopher uniform — looks like the team manager just suited up.

I don’t know what the deal is, but he did not get it done in the weight room/training room. Very disappointing.

Stull's reluctance to shoot is really amazing. I just double checked his 3 pt stats for his last two seasons at UWM:

57-143 / .399
72-190 / .379

The dude was bombing over 6 3's a game last season and now looks paralyzed by fear. Something doesn't add up even considering he's out of shape and factoring in the step up in competition.

I feel like a few guys get zero wiggle room from Pitino, and Stull is one of them. I'm sure he doesn't want to screw up when he's in because he will be back on the bench in a heartbeat.

Why don't we play more zone? We have length with Oturu, Coffey, McBrayer, Stockman.

That’s a very good question, but go look at photos of him in action at Milwaukee. Dude looked strong and looked like a D1 athlete. Now look at him in a gopher uniform — looks like the team manager just suited up.

I don’t know what the deal is, but he did not get it done in the weight room/training room. Very disappointing.

When I saw some video from the M&G scrimmage, I had no idea who he was. Partially because I kind of forgot about him, but also due to the fact that he looked a lot different.

57-143 / .399
72-190 / .379

He hasn't had much playing time to get shots up. My guess is the short leash is based on defense. He's a senior with no pro ball in his future. No better time to play fearless and confident. This chapter of his life is ending. I'd love to see him come out hitting open 3's and being a significant contributor from now until the end of the season. If he is, it will likely mean success for the team.

Maybe the dude needs to find some new roommates who eat his pizza rolls. Maybe that's what he had at Milwaukee, and maybe that's why he left!

Seriously, this is a medium-size mystery. What the heck happened to this guy over the off-season?

What is funny is everyone keeps ripping Stull as if this is his fault. I by no means think he is going to completely turn this team around but he averaged 14ppg last year playing Div 1 basketball. I know all the rubes are going to say ya but it wasnt Big10 basketball. Ok great, but our bench is so horrific and the fact Pitino cannot get a 5th year senior minutes who averaged 14ppg last year shows Pitino is not a good offensive mind. Some of or most of the blame should be on Pitino not using Stull correctly.

No basketball player can play their best when they sit 2 games in a row and next game they get 11 minutes and next game zero and then next game 18 minutes. He should have been getting 15 minutes a game, every game since day 1.

Not ripping stull at all. Ripping Pitino for bringing him in and then playing him

What is funny is everyone keeps ripping Stull as if this is his fault. I by no means think he is going to completely turn this team around but he averaged 14ppg last year playing Div 1 basketball. I know all the rubes are going to say ya but it wasnt Big10 basketball. Ok great, but our bench is so horrific and the fact Pitino cannot get a 5th year senior minutes who averaged 14ppg last year shows Pitino is not a good offensive mind. Some of or most of the blame should be on Pitino not using Stull correctly.

No basketball player can play their best when they sit 2 games in a row and next game they get 11 minutes and next game zero and then next game 18 minutes. He should have been getting 15 minutes a game, every game since day 1.

So after reading many posts this past year, I've noticed we complain about that we dont have a coach with an offensive mind, and we have people that complain that we dont have a coach that is very good with defense. So if I'm reading all this right we have a coach who doesnt know much about offense and defense? Lol

So after reading many posts this past year, I've noticed we complain about that we dont have a coach with an offensive mind, and we have people that complain that we dont have a coach that is very good with defense. So if I'm reading all this right we have a coach who doesnt know much about offense and defense? Lol

If you are really reading that right you know that we have fans who think that the coach doesn't know much about offense and defense.
You are never getting it right unless you are winning or have won a ton in the past. If it is the players' fault the coach recruited them and it is still the coach's fault. Either way it ends up on the coach unless the coach has built up enough goodwill with the fans. We rarely get to that point...
We hire a new great coach, get excited and begin to dump on the coach in year 3 if they aren't winning. I can't figure this out, this job should be so easy!

Top Bottom