Gophers ask Big Ten for clarification on questionable play in the Wisconsin game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

No foul was called by the officials when Wisconsin’s Brad Davison appeared to step intentionally under Gophers’ Jordan Murphy on a rebound in Wednesday night’s game at Williams Arena.

The Gophers athletics department contacted the Big Ten on Thursday for clarification on whether Davison should have been penalized for the play, according to a U spokesman.

The following statement was sent to the Star Tribune on behalf of the Big Ten about the request: “As is normal practice, the Big Ten reviews every play. If there was to be any action taken, that would be the first and only comment.”

Gophers coach Richard Pitino addressed Davison’s play on Murphy on the Gophers Coaches Show on Thursday.

“When things like that happen the league’s got to look at it,” Pitino said. “They’ve got to make decisions. It’s kind of out of our hands. My thoughts on what it was or what it wasn’t are kind of irrelevant. I’m a really, really big believer in focus on what you can control.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ionable-play-in-the-wisconsin-game/505573402/

Go Gophers!!

The conference has the opportunity to both send a message and do the right thing.

3 game suspension seems about right. Maybe that would make him (and WI) think about how they are playing the game.

I think they won’t do anything about it. It’s pretty clear there was intent but I don’t know if the BIG wants to set precedent, even with Davison’s history, of assumed intent. Just my guess as to what will happen.

I think they won’t do anything about it. It’s pretty clear there was intent but I don’t know if the BIG wants to set precedent, even with Davison’s history, of assumed intent. Just my guess as to what will happen.

Kind of with you on that to be honest. I'm trying to remember, did Grayson Allen ever get a suspension from the NCAA itself or was it all from Duke? I feel like Davison's maybe would warrant a game at most and that might be a stretch.

EDIT: Its almost like I assumed that blue bloods operate in a fair manner with respect to the rules lol

3 game suspension seems about right. Maybe that would make him (and WI) think about how they are playing the game.

3 games? Fernando stomped a guy and may not get suspended. Diamond Stone pushed a guy’s head into the ground and got 1 game. Probably a bit of an optimistic guess of 3.

What else has Wisconsin done that is dirty? Davison seems to be acting solo on this mission, though I haven’t watched all of their games. Enlighten me if so.

Kind of with you on that to be honest. I'm trying to remember, did Grayson Allen ever get a suspension from the NCAA itself or was it all from Duke?

I think Allen got a game. Davison’s play here may have been even more dangerous, but Allen clearly stuck his leg out for no reason other than to trip. Davison...I mean he probably was malicious but he could just say, “I was trying to box out.”

There wasn’t a plausible excuse for Allen. Davison’s history probably is getting to that point but in each of his plays he at least can say, “well I was trying to [insert basketball term]” even if it is clear BS.

I think Allen got a game. Davison’s play here may have been even more dangerous, but Allen clearly stuck his leg out for no reason other than to trip. Davison...I mean he probably was malicious but he could just say, “I was trying to box out.”

There wasn’t a plausible excuse for Allen. Davison’s history probably is getting to that point but in each of his plays he at least can say, “well I was trying to [insert basketball term]” even if it is clear BS.
Allen got a indefinite from coach K that turned out to be one game, the ACC did nothing.

Am I interpreting this right? Sounds like the league looked at it and said there will be no action taken

"If there was to be any action taken, that would be the first and only comment.”

Am I interpreting this right? Sounds like the league looked at it and said there will be no action taken

"If there was to be any action taken, that would be the first and only comment.”

That's how I read it too. That seems to be speaking in the past tense? Or maybe it's just poorly worded or we're just misunderstanding it? I don't know, but this feels like a pretty appropriate time for the conference to send a message to Davison, before his questionable tactics really get someone hurt.

That's how I read it too. That seems to be speaking in the past tense? Or maybe it's just poorly worded or we're just misunderstanding it? I don't know, but this feels like a pretty appropriate time for the conference to send a message to Davison, before his questionable tactics really get someone hurt.

I hope when he breaks some kid's ankle or tears their ACL and one of that player's team mates deck him in the face, the league will show similar restraint and "have no comment."

The good news is the refs seem to be wising up to Davidson's crap and not giving him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls. It is one thing to play hard and be gritty but it is another thing entirely to just be a dirty player. Bad for the game on all level when guys like Davidson run around out there playing dirty and trying to get away with cheap shots that could lead to injuries.

3 games? Fernando stomped a guy and may not get suspended. Diamond Stone pushed a guy’s head into the ground and got 1 game. Probably a bit of an optimistic guess of 3.

What else has Wisconsin done that is dirty? Davison seems to be acting solo on this mission, though I haven’t watched all of their games. Enlighten me if so.

I have witnessed a lot of Wi games and Davison is acting solo. He’s just a snot nosed dirty playing young man. If you suspend anybody it should be Gard. He knows what Davison is doing. Gard may have reacted to Davison antics since it appeared to me he behaved in the second half. The first half was the Murphy play and two other attempts at trips that I saw.

WI fans seem to think it’s only Gophers fans that thought this was dirty. Reality is it’s only them that think it wasn’t.

With Brad's history, there's no question that he's a dirty player. But don't be naive and act like Wisconsin has any recent history to suggest that they're dirty as a program. I personally can't think of anything besides what Davison has done to lead to that conclusion.

Pitino is talking like he hasn't heard a decision. Confusing story...

With Brad's history, there's no question that he's a dirty player. But don't be naive and act like Wisconsin has any recent history to suggest that they're dirty as a program. I personally can't think of anything besides what Davison has done to lead to that conclusion.

Was it Iowa or Wisconsin that stepped under Hollins? I didn't get the feeling Bo encouraged cheap play....thinking maybe Iowa.

WI fans seem to think it’s only Gophers fans that thought this was dirty. Reality is it’s only them that think it wasn’t.

Bomani Jones has a history of stoking the flame about “boring” Wisconsin basketball for twitter mentions. It’s a step in the right direction towards some national pub, though.

Bomani Jones has a history of stoking the flame about “boring” Wisconsin basketball for twitter mentions. It’s a step in the right direction towards some national pub, though.

Bomani and the whole Dan Lebatard show crew hate on Wisconsin regularly. Mostly because they’ve gotten beat by them regularly lately, but also cause they are slow and boring. I agree.

Bomani and the whole Dan Lebatard show crew hate on Wisconsin regularly. Mostly because they’ve gotten beat by them regularly lately, but also cause they are slow and boring. I agree.

Its called winning. With the types of players you can get at a Wisconsin. Kids don't get into too much trouble, Stay eligible, don't get suspended, fit the academic profile. You go ahead and try to make your team an NBA lite team though. I love looking down on the standings at Minnesota. But, you do play at a faster pace. LOL

Isn't the coaching staff responsible for its players on-court conduct? To me, the answer is unequivocally yes.

Maybe not recent history, but who was the WI doosh that stepped under Dre Hollins on a jumper and ruined his ankle? That garbage had being going on for years under the Grinch.

Its called winning. With the types of players you can get at a Wisconsin. Kids don't get into too much trouble, Stay eligible, don't get suspended, fit the academic profile. You go ahead and try to make your team an NBA lite team though. I love looking down on the standings at Minnesota. But, you do play at a faster pace. LOL

WI basketball saps the joy from the game. It's like a time capsule to the peach-basket basketball. I would rather seek an alternative formula for 100 years than to play that style. Joy and winning are not mutually exclusive. WI has a formula that keeps them as a recent approximate #25 team, playing a style that essentially is designed to bore the other team. If that is success to you, do enjoy.

In a nut shell--why we think so many Wisconsin fans are pricks

WI basketball saps the joy from the game. It's like a time capsule to the peach-basket basketball. I would rather seek an alternative formula for 100 years than to play that style. Joy and winning are not mutually exclusive. WI has a formula that keeps them as a recent approximate #25 team, playing a style that essentially is designed to bore the other team. If that is success to you, do enjoy.

Want to finish ahead of them but i can assure you hoe they play has nothing to do with trying to bore the other team . All it is designed to do is beat you. To each his own. I enjoy watching teams work for good shots, not turn the ball over and play great defense. They have a top 20 nearly every year.

Another reason I hate WI basketball and their fans. Bo Ryan was an azzhole and it continues today. I’m hoping someone gives Davison a beat down.

Top Bottom