Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1

    Default MLB Must Finally Add Designated Hitter to NL After 46-Year Mistake

    per Bleacher Report:

    Through the grapevine has come a hint that the designated hitter may become a universal reality in Major League Baseball in the not-too-distant future.

    Hurry up. Oh, for the love of David Ortiz, Edgar Martinez and Frank Thomas, please hurry up.

    Per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic and Jeff Passan of ESPN, the MLB Players Association has been pushing for the DH—which has been saving American League pitchers from hitting for themselves since 1973—to come to the National League for the 2019 season.

    With pitchers and catchers due to report for spring training next week, it's probably a bit late to adapt such a seismic change for the coming season. The same goes for some of the other big ideas (e.g., a 20-second pitch clock and a three-batter minimum for pitchers) being kicked around by the MLB and the MLBPA.

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral

    Win Twins!!


  2. #2

    Default

    No. Leave it alone. The one thing baseball has going for it is its uniqueness of each league.

  3. #3

    Default

    Get rid of DH

  4. #4

    Default

    NL should have had DH’s at the same time AL did. Just stupid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    In '73 when the DH came in, the AL and the NL had very distinct personalities and styles of play, which the DH helped accentuate. The NL featured base-running and small ball. the AL was the 3-run homer league.

    But - in the ensuring years, especially since the adoption of inter-league play, the differences between the two leagues have diminished. If you put in the DH in the NL, you would not be able to tell - based on style of play - which league a team was in. Right now, the NL is obviously different with pitchers hitting, leading to higher use of pinch-hitters and the double switch. But, if you put in the DH, a random NL team would look just the same as a random AL team.

    I think the time has come. The "strategy" that old-time NL fans promote is based on having a guy in the lineup who can't hit. that in turns leads to the #8 batter getting pitched around, and later in the games, the parade of pinch-hitters. I would rather see a guy in the lineup who has a chance to hit the ball.

    There are other proposed rule changes I like - like pitchers having to face three batters - and the pitch clock is a must.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    In '73 when the DH came in, the AL and the NL had very distinct personalities and styles of play, which the DH helped accentuate. The NL featured base-running and small ball. the AL was the 3-run homer league.

    But - in the ensuring years, especially since the adoption of inter-league play, the differences between the two leagues have diminished. If you put in the DH in the NL, you would not be able to tell - based on style of play - which league a team was in. Right now, the NL is obviously different with pitchers hitting, leading to higher use of pinch-hitters and the double switch. But, if you put in the DH, a random NL team would look just the same as a random AL team.

    I think the time has come. The "strategy" that old-time NL fans promote is based on having a guy in the lineup who can't hit. that in turns leads to the #8 batter getting pitched around, and later in the games, the parade of pinch-hitters. I would rather see a guy in the lineup who has a chance to hit the ball.
    Good reasoning, good post. You have changed my mind, on why it was beneficial for the NL in the past.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    12,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    No. Leave it alone. The one thing baseball has going for it is its uniqueness of each league.
    Exactly
    Aloha Mr. Hand

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,739
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Of all the rules they could change, this doesn't crack my top 10. I like the idea of a 20 second pitch clock and a 3 batter minimum for pitchers. If they need this as a bargaining chip with the union (15 more high paying jobs) than I guess that's fine.

  9. #9

    Default

    why don't we just allow up to nine non-fielding batters? middle infielders and catchers suck at batting too.
    We have a philosophical difference on what constitutes a law

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    why don't we just allow up to nine non-fielding batters? middle infielders and catchers suck at batting too.
    Have honestly thought the same thing. Except you really only need four. Only three guys can be on the bases max.

    Would make the game more fun.


    I wonder if we'll see someone attempt an "AAF" type competitor to MLB baseball? With a lot more of these "radical" type rule changes, to 1) make the game less boring, and 2) make the game shorter. IE, make it a better product for TV.

  11. #11

    Default

    I wish they would get rid of the DH and make pitchers hit the way the game was designed. After all they are the best athletes out there, they should be able to hit just fine.
    Who hates iowa?

  12. #12

    Default

    Question for the board. How many pitchers who have spent the bulk of their career in the NL have benefited from have their stats padded (automatic out every 9th batter.)

    Atlanta pitchers in the 80’s and 90’s always looked ordinary in the World Series. I attributed it to them being overrated due to the league they played in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Default MLB Must Finally Add Designated Hitter to NL After 46-Year Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Question for the board. How many pitchers who have spent the bulk of their career in the NL have benefited from have their stats padded (automatic out every 9th batter.)
    All of them? Well, for most stats. Not wins, not saves, etc. But sure, ERA, etc, of course.

  14. #14

    Default

    Get rid of it in both leagues.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    All of them? Well, for most stats. Not wins, not saves, etc. But sure, ERA, etc, of course.
    To various degrees, all of them. If you pitch a complete game against 27 batters and 1/3 (9) of them or automatic outs....I would say that’s a hell of an advantage. One that will have a positive benefit in all pitching categories.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •