Criminally Underrated Albums

Speaking of U2, of their biggest fans that I've talked to, the album they seem to like the least or even dislike is Zooropa...which of course happens to be my favorite. I think it's top shelf, original, distinctive.

... and i could be mistaken - have they done a Feeling Strangely Fine show yet, or has that been just talk up to now? I lost track.

I feel like they did it last summer and I couldn’t make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kinks were in one of the most epic musical zones of all time from about 1968-1971, and almost no one is aware of it. They were banging out concept album-masterpieces that rival anything Pink Floyd, the Beatles or the Who did, imo.

- The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968)

- Arthur, or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire (1969)

- Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround (Part I) (1970)

Hardline - Double Eclipse. They found a really bad time to be a hair metal-type band, but that album was amazing.

Double Eclipse, good call...I'd forgotten about that one.

I've always enjoyed Arrival by Journey. Not everyone liked them with Steve Augeri, but it's one of my favorite listens.

If anyone likes epic movie scores, I highly recommend two albums by Thomas Bergersen: Illusions and Sun.

An album by a lesser known group, The Showdown by Russel Allen and Jorn Lande. It's kind of an alternative/progressive rock style, but it's quite good.

Speaking of U2, of their biggest fans that I've talked to, the album they seem to like the least or even dislike is Zooropa...which of course happens to be my favorite. I think it's top shelf, original, distinctive.

As you can tell from my moniker, I kind of like them, but Zooropa has always been my least favorite offering. However, “Some Days Are Better Than Others” along with “Dirty Day” are gems off that recording and “The Wanderer” with Johnny Cash is cool as well.

Last edited:

As you can tell from my moniker, I kind of like them, but Zooropa has always been my least favorite offering. However, “Some Days Are Better Than Others” along with “Dirty Day” are gems off that recording and “The Wanderer” with Johnny Cash is cool as well.

Most U2 fans I know worship at the altar of "The Joshua Tree." It's obviously very good, but it always reminded me of when Michael McDonald took over the Doobie Brothers - slow, dirgey and borderline Adult Contemporary (although it's not all like that, admittedly). U2 is a little like the weather and Neil Young: if you don't like it, just wait around, and it'll change. I love that about them.

Last edited:

Most U2 fans I know worship at the altar of "The Joshua Tree." It's obviously very good, but it always reminded me of when Michael McDonald took over the Doobie Brothers - slow, dirgey and borderline Adult Contemporary (although it's not all like that, admittedly). U2 is a little like the weather and Neil Young: if you don't like it, just wait around, and it'll change. I love that about them.

That is my least favorite U2 album of the 80's/90's. Too anthem like for me.

Don't want to derail the thread, but.....I am a medium U2 fan. But the concert at TCF Bank Stadium a couple years ago in the rain was top 5 concert for me. Those guys brought it.

Don't want to derail the thread, but.....I am a medium U2 fan. But the concert at TCF Bank Stadium a couple years ago in the rain was top 5 concert for me. Those guys brought it.

Completely agree. The rain made it more special. I've seen them 3 times and that was by far the best show.

We were on vacation and missed it, and all our friends and relatives who were there keep raving about it to this day.

I'm not sure if it's criminally underrated, but an album I always liked was "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" by Warren Zevon. that was his follow-up album to "Excitable Boy," and it did not produce the same level of sales or airplay, but it had a few cuts I really liked, including "Jeannie needs a shooter," a duet with Springsteen, and "Bill Lee," a short but fun song about the former Red Sox pitcher. And, maybe my favorite Zevon song, "Gorilla, You're a desperado."

Admittedly, Zevon was an acquired taste for some, but if you like off-beat and/or sarcastic lyrics, he was great.

Soundgarden's album 'Superunknown' is commonly referred to as their best album with 'Badmotorfinger' second. I personally like 'Down on the Upside' the most.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Kinks were in one of the most epic musical zones of all time from about 1968-1971, and almost no one is aware of it. They were banging out concept album-masterpieces that rival anything Pink Floyd, the Beatles or the Who did, imo.

- The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968)

- Arthur, or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire (1969)

- Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround (Part I) (1970)

Yes! My favorite three sequential albums. You could even add Something Else to make it four.

I've always thought Breakfast in America by Supertramp is criminally underrated. Not compared to their other albums because those all suck, but compared to other albums of the era. A few years ago I bought a half dozen records off a guy at a flea market, including BiA and Rubber Soul. The guy says, "Rubber Soul is a great album; every song is really good." And I was like, "Yeah? That's how I feel about Breakfast in America." He kind of just looked at me and half chuckled, not sure if I was joking or not.

I'm also a big Elvis Costello fan. His early albums are obviously great (accurately rated I would say), but When I Was Cruel from early 2000's is fantastic. Full of quintessential EC spite and snark.

Can you imagine my surprise when I noticed that the Lemonheads' album "Come On Feel The Lemonheads" had only a 3.5-star composite review on Amazon! That for what is one of my top five favorite records of the 1990s. It would be on my desert island list if I had to choose.

Evan Dando has a new release and is touring with Tommy Stinson (probably already knew that).

One of my favorite singer song writers was Grant Hart (of Husker Du, Nova Mob, and then solo).
All post Husker stuff to me very good and underrated.
I would say Good News for Modern Man is one of my favorites for sure. Recorded at Pachyderm studio with Grant laying down all the vocal and instrument tracks except for 1 guest guitar on one song.
Looking forward to the future release of his Unabomber concept album about Ted K once the legal stuff is shook out.

Last edited:

Yes! My favorite three sequential albums. You could even add Something Else to make it four.

I've always thought Breakfast in America by Supertramp is criminally underrated. Not compared to their other albums because those all suck, but compared to other albums of the era. A few years ago I bought a half dozen records off a guy at a flea market, including BiA and Rubber Soul. The guy says, "Rubber Soul is a great album; every song is really good." And I was like, "Yeah? That's how I feel about Breakfast in America." He kind of just looked at me and half chuckled, not sure if I was joking or not.

I'm also a big Elvis Costello fan. His early albums are obviously great (accurately rated I would say), but When I Was Cruel from early 2000's is fantastic. Full of quintessential EC spite and snark.

You are alive!!

You are alive!!

Ha! Yeah... I still lurk on the FB and BB boards but dropped the OTB after Trump was elected, for the sake of my mental health. I checked in here to see if anyone was talking about Amy and noticed this thread. I had a feeling Costa might post something about The Kinks.

Ha! Yeah... I still lurk on the FB and BB boards but dropped the OTB after Trump was elected, for the sake of my mental health. I checked in here to see if anyone was talking about Amy and noticed this thread. I had a feeling Costa might post something about The Kinks.

And yet he skipped the Kinda Kinky show last December.

Everything by the Cult.

Still rocking all these years later.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANQj_ppku9o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Listening to Edie right now.

They used to be these guys and long long time ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k6PgftKbQnQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They used to be these guys and long long time ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k6PgftKbQnQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do U still wear skinny jeans:confused:

Do U still wear skinny jeans:confused:

He's that schlub in the Perkins commercials. Then he goes home and sits on the computer all day calling people dumb. Meaningful retirement funded by you and me.

He's that schlub in the Perkins commercials. Then he goes home and sits on the computer all day calling people dumb. Meaningful retirement funded by you and me.

I do wish there were not so many dumb people posting here that require that response You are a solid portion of that mother lode. Yes, you do waste a portion of my day. Smarten up a little bit, please.

Wow. Just stumbled across this band Fanny. They were around in the late 60's early 70's. First all woman hard rock band to sign to a major label, 4 albums and a couple singles that charted. They toured with the Kinks, Slade, Jethro Tull and Humble Pie and somehow were largely forgotten. Here's what Bowie had to say about them. “They were one of the finest ****ing rock bands of their time. They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like mother****ers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody’s ever mentioned them. They’re as important as anybody else who’s ever been, ever; it just wasn’t their time.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb1HpH42N8&t=637s

Wow. Just stumbled across this band Fanny. They were around in the late 60's early 70's. First all woman hard rock band to sign to a major label, 4 albums and a couple singles that charted. They toured with the Kinks, Slade, Jethro Tull and Humble Pie and somehow were largely forgotten. Here's what Bowie had to say about them. “They were one of the finest ****ing rock bands of their time. They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like mother****ers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody’s ever mentioned them. They’re as important as anybody else who’s ever been, ever; it just wasn’t their time.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb1HpH42N8&t=637s

I feel that they deserve a documentary done about them.

Top Bottom