A candidate for top PF award, Jordan Murphy takes a beating but keeps battling

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

No player in the Big Ten gets pushed, shoved and is the on the receiving end of more questionable fouls during a game it seems than Jordan Murphy.

Still, the Gophers senior forward gets up, shakes off the hits and continues to battle in the paint often against players bigger and taller than his 6-foot-7 frame.

Murphy, who had 16 points and 19 rebounds in Wednesday’s 56-51 loss against Wisconsin, was named to the top-10 watch list Thursday for the Karl Malone Award, given to the top power forward in college basketball. He ranks No. 2 all-time in Big Ten history with 1,189 rebounds and averages a league-best 12.1 per game this season.

On Wednesday, Murphy addressed the physical and sometimes questionable tactics used by the Badgers to frustrate him and his teammates, including when Wisconsin guard Brad Davison apparently sticking his foot under Murphy on a rebound.

“At the end of the day, you just got to keep playing and have some heart,” Murphy said. “There are many plays where I ended up on the ground. It’s not just Brad and all that, just him by himself. I think there are a couple plays that were close to being a foul or something more than that. It’s not just him in general. I know he has a reputation, but I didn’t think he did anything tonight that I saw.”

http://www.startribune.com/a-candid...takes-a-beating-but-keeps-battling/505513882/

Go Gophers!!

He's a tough competitor. I wish he showed more leadership skills.

I will really miss watching him. At his size, to do what he has done is incredible.

To do what he has done is incredible...period.

This. I think people qualifying his achievements by mentioning his size is tired. Leading rebounder in program history. Second in conference history. 60+? Double doubles. Truly incredible regardless of if he was 7’6 or 6’6

He's a tough competitor. I wish he showed more leadership skills.

If he was our third best player we would be national champs and everyone would be saying how good of a leader he is. His lack of success has nothing to do with leadership skills and everything to do with him not having the offensive skill to be a #1 scoring option.
When he is our number 1, we are below average.
When Coffey is going and he is our number 2, we are above average.
When Coffey plus one more are going and he is our number 3, we are a really good team.

This. I think people qualifying his achievements by mentioning his size is tired. Leading rebounder in program history. Second in conference history. 60+? Double doubles. Truly incredible regardless of if he was 7’6 or 6’6

The comment about competing at his size is not a negative it is considering the numbers he achieves to overcome the things he can not do well like feed from the high post, intimidate shooters. His work effort, anticipation and prepriception are off the charts.

Top Bottom