Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives

Blog Entries

Default Positives

I really get tired of reading all the negative posts... "what ifs", "fire coach", "need better players", "can't shoot" ect…… (I get it)

Positives

Defense has been and is pretty good

I believe Pitino coaches defense too...Hmmm

Oturo is gonna be REALLY good!

Gabe will be a go to player in the future

Please add more!

I like that Gabe seems to be trying harder to pick up where teammates have been lacking. He was hesitant to do so earlier in the season.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherbbdude View Post
    I really get tired of reading all the negative posts... "what ifs", "fire coach", "need better players", "can't shoot" ect…… (I get it)

Positives

Please add more!
    Would you be able to tell me the defensive ranking for Minnesota in the Big 10?

Hint.........look toward the bottom.

You forgot to mention:

Coffey doesn't look good enough to go pro yet.

in your list of positives.

Dropped this in another thread but I think this applies to the positives as well. Oturu is having a really nice season. Comparison to a few other notable freshman centers.

Oturu is having a much better season as a freshman than Przybilla did. Added Humphries for fun.

Oturu:10.7pts, 7.5 rebounds, 58.5% FG on 7.2 shots per game. 1.7 blocks, 64% FT, 58.5% EFG in 22.8 minutes per game.

Przybilla: 6.7pts, 5.8 rebounds, 56% FG on 5 shots per game. 3 blocks, ~58% FT, 59.1% EFG in 25.5 minutes per game.

Humphries: 21.7pts, 10.1 rebounds, 44.4% FG on 17.2 shots per game. 1.1 blocks (.7 assists...), ~74% FT, 46.1% EFG in 34.1 minutes per game.

Solid returning group if there's a coaching change. Won't be a total rebuild.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

No situation is 100% negative. And I don't think anyone is saying that Pitino is an absolute failure as a coach.

The question, as I see it, is similar to the discussions on the FB board:

"Is the current coach the right coach to elevate the program to a higher level of competition?"

And that all hinges on whether you believe Pitino has more upside - or if this is as good as it's going to get.

I think this could be one of those deals where it depends on the age of the fan/poster.

Some of us remember the good teams under Dutcher and Clem and the current team doesn't look as good by comparison. Others have a shorter time-span in which to compare.

I think we have a pretty good foundation for next year

Next year
    C-Oturu
    PF-Curry
    SF-Coffey
    SG-Kalscheur
    PG-Carr

Bench-
    Omersa
    Hurt
    Washington
    Willis
    Tre Williams

TBD
    TBD
    TBD

The 3 TBD spots will be crucial, I would love to get a grad transfer big man or juco big man that is eligible right away.

the other 2 spots, I'm ok if they're transfers/red-shirt candidates (I know RS isn't coming in bball). I just hope TBD have ability to hit a 3

I'm optimistic about future. I think Murphy is only real loss. Nothing against Dupree, he hasn't shown to be irreplaceable. I think Coffey can still be better

Blog Entries

Positives

Please add more!
    Yes your right. This team can be pretty good. Unfortunately, one thing that kills us and i just cant figure out is how are upperclassmen are sometimes non existent. Our freshman at times have been freshman, but overall are getting better and have been great! With Coffey, its always when he decides hes gonna get agressive. Sometimes that's early and sometimes its too late. Mcbrayer has had way too many games that he is 1-10 shooting. We, like most teams rely on the upperclassmen!

Quote Originally Posted by gophereric30 View Post
    Yes your right. This team can be pretty good. Unfortunately, one thing that kills us and i just cant figure out is how are upperclassmen are sometimes non existent. Our freshman at times have been freshman, but overall are getting better and have been great! With Coffey, its always when he decides hes gonna get agressive. Sometimes that's early and sometimes its too late. Mcbrayer has had way too many games that he is 1-10 shooting. We, like most teams rely on the upperclassmen!

The killer has been production from our supposed leaders past 2 games. Murphy/Mcbrayer were quiet vs purude and mcbrayer/coffey quiet vs Wisconsin

We don't have a lot of options

Quote Originally Posted by LesBolstad View Post
    Solid returning group if there's a coaching change. Won't be a total rebuild.
    ++

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I think this could be one of those deals where it depends on the age of the fan/poster.

Some of us remember the good teams under Dutcher and Clem and the current team doesn't look as good by comparison. Others have a shorter time-span in which to compare.
    Not only that, older people have less time left to waste watching disappointing seasons so they're bound to be a little less patient.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    Not only that, older people have less time left to waste watching disappointing seasons so they're bound to be a little less patient.
    I would think the reverse would be true as well.

Old is relative :-)

Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    I think we have a pretty good foundation for next year

Next year
    C-Oturu
    PF-Curry
    SF-Coffey
    SG-Kalscheur
    PG-Carr

Bench-
    Omersa
    Hurt
    Washington
    Willis
    Tre Williams

TBD
    TBD
    TBD

The 3 TBD spots will be crucial, I would love to get a grad transfer big man or juco big man that is eligible right away.

the other 2 spots, I'm ok if they're transfers/red-shirt candidates (I know RS isn't coming in bball). I just hope TBD have ability to hit a 3

I'm optimistic about future. I think Murphy is only real loss. Nothing against Dupree, he hasn't shown to be irreplaceable. I think Coffey can still be better
    the 3 TBA's are huge I agree!
    best case....
    Grad transfer PF who can shoot the 3 and battle with Curry for the starting PF spot
    Grad transfer C who can back up Oturu
    SF freshman
    this would allow us to have 4 open scholarships for the 2020 class

ok with
    Grad transfer PF/C type to add to the mix
    Skogman/Ihnen freshman PF either of whom seem to be the stretch 4 type
    SF Freshman
    this would still give us 3 open spots for the 2020 class.

Old is relative :-)
    No. Old is old. It's not how you feel. It's not how you think. It's how many expected years you have left. If you have 30 years behind you and 50 expected years ahead of you, you are young and have lots of time left. If you have 60 years behind you and 20 expected years ahead of you, you don't have so much time left.