Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Green New Deal

Default Green New Deal

Howie is surely very upset at the lack of specifics.

https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasi...assive-governm

Despite her Green New Deal including plans to remake “every” building in the United States, impose Medicare-for-All, as well as a universal basic income, Ocasio-Cortez said her proposals are small compared to the crisis the world faces. [Her office posted an updated outline of the plan today.]

"Even the solutions that we have considered big and bold are nowhere near the scale of the actual problem that climate change presents to us," she told NPR.

Ocasio-Cortez also suggested there are ways to pay for her plans besides taxes, although she did not specify what.

“It is just certainly a lot of money,” Inskeep said. “You don’t specify where it’s going to come from other than saying it will all pay for itself.”

“Yeah, I think the first move we need to do is kind of break the mistaken idea that taxes pay for 100 percent of government expenditure,” Ocasio-Cortez answered. “It’s just not how government expenditure works. We can recoup costs, but oftentimes you look at, for example, the GOP tax cut which I think was an irresponsible use of government expenditure, but government projects are often financed by a combination of taxes, deficit spending and other kinds of investments, you know, bonds and so on.”

“Well, I get that, but deficit spending is borrowing money that has to be paid back eventually through taxes,” Inskeep reminded the freshman lawmaker.

I'll sign up for a green deal. Where do I vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasi...assive-governm

Despite her Green New Deal including plans to remake “every” building in the United States, impose Medicare-for-All, as well as a universal basic income, Ocasio-Cortez said her proposals are small compared to the crisis the world faces. [Her office posted an updated outline of the plan today.]

"Even the solutions that we have considered big and bold are nowhere near the scale of the actual problem that climate change presents to us," she told NPR.

Ocasio-Cortez also suggested there are ways to pay for her plans besides taxes, although she did not specify what.

“It is just certainly a lot of money,” Inskeep said. “You don’t specify where it’s going to come from other than saying it will all pay for itself.”

“Yeah, I think the first move we need to do is kind of break the mistaken idea that taxes pay for 100 percent of government expenditure,” Ocasio-Cortez answered. “It’s just not how government expenditure works. We can recoup costs, but oftentimes you look at, for example, the GOP tax cut which I think was an irresponsible use of government expenditure, but government projects are often financed by a combination of taxes, deficit spending and other kinds of investments, you know, bonds and so on.”

“Well, I get that, but deficit spending is borrowing money that has to be paid back eventually through taxes,” Inskeep reminded the freshman lawmaker.
    Oh...my...god.

The deficit is a non-problem, that people throw temper tantrums about only when they want to limit govt spending for something (or in nutty cases, in general).

For those who claim NPR is basically Pravda, I give you Steve Inskeep. He was not going to let her get away with complete nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The deficit is a non-problem, that people throw temper tantrums about only when they want to limit govt spending for something (or in nutty cases, in general).
    It is a problem that both sides ignore to their own peril. And God help me, you make posts like this and the goldbugs are going to come out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Wrong. No one is willing to deal with it, so we play a game of kick the can and hope that some magical growth rate will solve it. It won't.

"universal basic income"

OMG, what a fiasco that would be. Don't do sh!t, gettin my basic income. Pass the bc bud...

It's looks like it's a ninth grade social studies group project.

Quote Originally Posted by balds View Post
    It's looks like it's a ninth grade social studies group project.
    That's who the Democrats new star is. She's risen to the level of bartender, so clearly capable of redesigning our entire economy.

None of you understand what's going on with the GND. That platform was released today, not any bills. Some items, none listed in this thread, are designed like California's 100% carbon free law to build broader coalitions for passage. Some items in the platform will never become law.

E4 guys, this is e4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    None of you understand what's going on with the GND. That platform was released today, not any bills. Some items, none listed in this thread, are designed like California's 100% carbon free law to build broader coalitions for passage. Some items in the platform will never become law.

E4 guys, this is e4.
    I understand that the platform is an embarrassment. But I sincerely hope California tries to lead the way on this one. Their high speed rail boondoggle is certainly showing us what their agenda is going to look like.

I think this is the beginning of the end for AOC. The following is an opinion article, but Ben Shapiro has a great skill for summing things up:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43194...st-ben-shapiro

On Thursday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) released a six-page proposal for her much-ballyhooed Green New Deal. Before so much as reading it, presumably, Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA), who happens to be a 2020 presidential frontrunner, endorsed it.

She should have read it.

Whoever wrote the proposal is, to put it kindly, dense. Idiotic. Moronic. Even Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) found herself unable to pretend to take it seriously; she said she hadn’t seen it yet, but “it’s enthusiastic and I appreciate the enthusiasm.” This, not coincidentally, is precisely what I say when I find out that my 2-year-old son has used his magic markers on his bedroom wall. When Nancy Pelosi has to pat you on the head and tell you that your picture of a doggie – which, for the record, looks like a blob with three legs and a spaghetti sauce stain – is just great honey, you’re in trouble.

She added that the Green New Deal “will be one of several or maybe many suggestions that we receive. The green dream or whatever they call it nobody knows what it is but they’re for it, right?”

For her part, AOC seems to know that she can’t declare war on Pelosi without the cagey veteran nuking her. “I don’t consider that to be a dismissive term. I think it’s a great term,” the farcical 29-year-old former bartender-turned-Congresswoman eagerly said. To which New York Post columnist Karol Markowicz correctly tweeted, “Oh, honey.”

How bad is the Green New Deal paper? Putting aside the fact that, as written, it would receive a C+ in any high school English class, it essentially articulates a magical world in which the skies rain chocolate, the world is powered by unicorn farts, and AOC dances through the gumdrop meadows to Lisztomania. The proposal calls for the United States to be free of carbon emissions within 10 years without the use of nuclear power. It calls for every building in the United States to be replaced or retrofitted in green fashion. It calls for universal healthcare, free college education, the replacement of airplanes with high-speed trains, charging stations “everywhere” (this is the sort of exactness the proposal contains), replacement of “every combustion-engine vehicle,” government-provided jobs, family and medical leave, vacations, retirement security, and the abolition of “farting cows.” It also calls for total “economic security” for anyone “unable or unwilling to work.”

Whether AOC plans to chain up billionaires and work them against their will or simply engage in anti-billionaire dekulakization remains to be seen. After all, somebody will have to pay for this.

Or not. According to AOC, nobody will have to pay for this – like a timeshare you bought on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1997, this thing will pay for itself! This is a direct quote: “At the end of the day, this is an investment in our economy that should grow our wealth as a nation, so the question isn’t how we will pay for it, but what will we do with our new shared prosperity.”

The question, guys, isn’t how to pay for the Fyre Festival – it’s what we’ll do with the free drinks, the beautiful cabanas, and the epic memories we’ll create together!

I correct myself: my two-year-old son could come up with a better, more realistic proposal than this one. It’s not actually much of a competition.

But, we’ve been told, AOC is the Fresh Face™ of the Democratic Party – So Fresh, So Face. Sadly, the intellectual content that emanates from that fresh face is indistinguishable from the product of the cows she seeks to abolish.

I didn’t read the article posted above. Just wanted to ask: Ben who?? Is this an actual known person, or a writer on some hyper conservative blog? Thanks in advance!