Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Green New Deal

Hybrid View

Default Green New Deal

Howie is surely very upset at the lack of specifics.

https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasi...assive-governm

Despite her Green New Deal including plans to remake “every” building in the United States, impose Medicare-for-All, as well as a universal basic income, Ocasio-Cortez said her proposals are small compared to the crisis the world faces. [Her office posted an updated outline of the plan today.]

"Even the solutions that we have considered big and bold are nowhere near the scale of the actual problem that climate change presents to us," she told NPR.

Ocasio-Cortez also suggested there are ways to pay for her plans besides taxes, although she did not specify what.

“It is just certainly a lot of money,” Inskeep said. “You don’t specify where it’s going to come from other than saying it will all pay for itself.”

“Yeah, I think the first move we need to do is kind of break the mistaken idea that taxes pay for 100 percent of government expenditure,” Ocasio-Cortez answered. “It’s just not how government expenditure works. We can recoup costs, but oftentimes you look at, for example, the GOP tax cut which I think was an irresponsible use of government expenditure, but government projects are often financed by a combination of taxes, deficit spending and other kinds of investments, you know, bonds and so on.”

“Well, I get that, but deficit spending is borrowing money that has to be paid back eventually through taxes,” Inskeep reminded the freshman lawmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasi...assive-governm

Despite her Green New Deal including plans to remake “every” building in the United States, impose Medicare-for-All, as well as a universal basic income, Ocasio-Cortez said her proposals are small compared to the crisis the world faces. [Her office posted an updated outline of the plan today.]

"Even the solutions that we have considered big and bold are nowhere near the scale of the actual problem that climate change presents to us," she told NPR.

Ocasio-Cortez also suggested there are ways to pay for her plans besides taxes, although she did not specify what.

“It is just certainly a lot of money,” Inskeep said. “You don’t specify where it’s going to come from other than saying it will all pay for itself.”

“Yeah, I think the first move we need to do is kind of break the mistaken idea that taxes pay for 100 percent of government expenditure,” Ocasio-Cortez answered. “It’s just not how government expenditure works. We can recoup costs, but oftentimes you look at, for example, the GOP tax cut which I think was an irresponsible use of government expenditure, but government projects are often financed by a combination of taxes, deficit spending and other kinds of investments, you know, bonds and so on.”

“Well, I get that, but deficit spending is borrowing money that has to be paid back eventually through taxes,” Inskeep reminded the freshman lawmaker.
    Oh...my...god.

I'll sign up for a green deal. Where do I vote?

The deficit is a non-problem, that people throw temper tantrums about only when they want to limit govt spending for something (or in nutty cases, in general).

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The deficit is a non-problem, that people throw temper tantrums about only when they want to limit govt spending for something (or in nutty cases, in general).
    It is a problem that both sides ignore to their own peril. And God help me, you make posts like this and the goldbugs are going to come out.

Blog Entries

Wrong. No one is willing to deal with it, so we play a game of kick the can and hope that some magical growth rate will solve it. It won't.

Blog Entries

Eliminating air travel in the next 10 years. Sorry, 4life. You never get to ride on an airplane.
    Kingdom Warriors

Are you real and nutty or just a troll?

For those who claim NPR is basically Pravda, I give you Steve Inskeep. He was not going to let her get away with complete nonsense.

"universal basic income"

OMG, what a fiasco that would be. Don't do sh!t, gettin my basic income. Pass the bc bud...

It's looks like it's a ninth grade social studies group project.

Quote Originally Posted by balds View Post
    It's looks like it's a ninth grade social studies group project.
    That's who the Democrats new star is. She's risen to the level of bartender, so clearly capable of redesigning our entire economy.

None of you understand what's going on with the GND. That platform was released today, not any bills. Some items, none listed in this thread, are designed like California's 100% carbon free law to build broader coalitions for passage. Some items in the platform will never become law.

E4 guys, this is e4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    None of you understand what's going on with the GND. That platform was released today, not any bills. Some items, none listed in this thread, are designed like California's 100% carbon free law to build broader coalitions for passage. Some items in the platform will never become law.

E4 guys, this is e4.
    I understand that the platform is an embarrassment. But I sincerely hope California tries to lead the way on this one. Their high speed rail boondoggle is certainly showing us what their agenda is going to look like.