Who would you rather have?

• Ethan Happ

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Jordan Murphy

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • No need to pick between 2 studs.

Votes: 12 13.8%

• Total voters
Happ by a mile. Better go-to scorer + good at passing out of the post to open shooters. That creates a great pick your poison scenario for WI.

Murphy has rebounding and garbage point ability which keeps him close, but Happ is the guy you want down the stretch or when your team needs buckets to stop a run or survive a cold shooting streak. Murphy can muscle in for a few, but mostly takes what is given to him. Happ has ability to beat competent defending consistently.

I actually think Murphy is the better passer out of the double.
When going 1 on 1 we don’t know who the better passer is because Happ just scores every time

So we are comparing an All-American to a second team all big ten player?

As much as I cannot stand Wisconsin, there is no comparison. Looking at the voting, we are homering our way into thinking Jordan is as good or better than Happ.
I would trade him for Happ in a New York minute.

Would you trade freshman Happ for current freshman Oturu? I wouldn’t.

This thread is a example of where gopherhole discussions become ridiculous.
Sure, discuss who you think the better player is. People do that all the time. I have no probelm with that.

The poll question above the responses still is "Who would you rather have?"

Maybe I am just too pragmatic, but it doesnt serve my enjoyment of the season to prefer someone we dont have over the guy who has shattered rebounding records in the BT. Why bother? Just to prove that I'm willing to throw my admiration for a player under the bus to demonstrate how insightful I am?

Considering people who say 'the player we have is the player I want' as a 'homer' is where we veer into pathetic. And a silly insistence that the way they interpreted the question must be applied to everyone's answer.
Maybe so many have abandoned following actual sports teams and are now so brilliantly unbiased and wise in their fantasy leagues, that we 'homers' who actually are aware we can't just trade one player for another in real life are hopelessly blinded by our biased interest in an actual season with an actual team.
I have no concern for my personal bias in preferring Murphy over Happ. I don't care who the better player is. They're both good in different ways. I'll take Murphy, please.

I voted Happ, but it's a virtual toss up. The free throw shooting is a big deal. Happ is down to 47% this year, while Murphy is at 70%. Happ becomes a liability to have on the floor at the end of close games. The problem with Jordan is that even though he's really, really good when he is on, he is much more prone to duds. Happ is much more consistent IMO.

This thread is a example of where gopherhole discussions become ridiculous.
Sure, discuss who you think the better player is. People do that all the time. I have no probelm with that.

The poll question above the responses still is "Who would you rather have?"

Maybe I am just too pragmatic, but it doesnt serve my enjoyment of the season to prefer someone we dont have over the guy who has shattered rebounding records in the BT. Why bother? Just to prove that I'm willing to throw my admiration for a player under the bus to demonstrate how insightful I am?

Considering people who say 'the player we have is the player I want' as a 'homer' is where we veer into pathetic. And a silly insistence that the way they interpreted the question must be applied to everyone's answer.
Maybe so many have abandoned following actual sports teams and are now so brilliantly unbiased and wise in their fantasy leagues, that we 'homers' who actually are aware we can't just trade one player for another in real life are hopelessly blinded by our biased interest in an actual season with an actual team.
I have no concern for my personal bias in preferring Murphy over Happ. I don't care who the better player is. They're both good in different ways. I'll take Murphy, please.

Happ without question. Happ can change the way other teams play the game. Murphy, not at all. He still has the same issues (cheap fouls, poor shooting %'s for an inside player, jumping out of control at head fakes to name a few) that have prevented him from becoming a much better player.

Happ without question. Happ can change the way other teams play the game. Murphy, not at all. He still has the same issues (cheap fouls, poor shooting %'s for an inside player, jumping out of control at head fakes to name a few) that have prevented him from becoming a much better player.

Happ has had a couple horrendous games with turnovers and incredibly bad free throw shooting. For having such a high usage percentage, he’s not been that good recently.

Outside of the last play of the game, Murphy put the team on his back and put them in a spot to win the game.

Murph put the team on his back tonight. He also saved them from what probably would have been a season ending defeat with a fantastic individual play against Penn State with his put back slam. He has his flaws as does Happ, but I feel like it Pitino and Gard switched teams, Gard's squad would have as good or better of a record than they currently have with Gopher personnel while Pitino would have this Badger group under .500. That coaching difference really magnifies the difference between Happ and Murphy. Late career Tim Duncan (as an example) looked a lot better playing for Pop and that Spurs system than he would have looked playing for Mark Jackson or Kurt Rambis.

Even with that said, I am not sure how much you can recognize a player who put up great stats in one specific category, but also (likely) played on 3 losing B1G teams including 2 of the worst teams in the schools history. That's not Murph's fault, but it has to be a consideration.

Murphy has been terrific as a Gopher. If only he had developed a reliable jump shot. Unstoppable. Happ doesn't have one either but he is craftier off the dribble and with the pass. Murphy is a bull.

Murphy is a much better person than Happ. I take Jordan and Happ can go wine to the refs.

I should have made this, " You can have 1 of Happ or Murphy, but you have to have Pitino as your coach. Who do you pick?"

I'm beginning to think Gard could have the Gopher roster and easily get into the NCAAs. I just don't think Pitino is creating an environment where these guys can succeed. Like having Stull guard Watson in man-to-man.

I should have made this, " You can have 1 of Happ or Murphy, but you have to have Pitino as your coach. Who do you pick?"

I'm beginning to think Gard could have the Gopher roster and easily get into the NCAAs. I just don't think Pitino is creating an environment where these guys can succeed. Like having Stull guard Watson in man-to-man.
Ok, lets start over. Who would you rather have, and you have to have Stull on the court with him as point guard.

Stick with what you have:

"...And there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with..."

Murph is the only one foolish, fickle fans. Murph IS a GOPHER. Happ is a stinking badger. Fact of life kids. Murph has given the GOPHER all he has. How can any fickle fans ask for more? Happ breaks hearts at the free throw line. When the game is on the line: foul Happ! It has been done successfully by a lot of Big Ten Coaches. Happ has never figured out how to consistently make free throws. I know...rocket science right? He can't help it? Or, he is just too lazy to do it? He should have been able to keep working on free throws after all these years of playing. Larry Bird...Magic...Kevin McHale couldn't be depended on for pressure free throws? That helped make them a cut above many. Happ happens to be haphazzard when the game is on the line in the final five minutes due to that most basic of basketball fundamental skills.

How much is a rebound worth? I'd have to rate rebounding right up there with the ability to score...the ability to defend...the ability to make assists and the ability to walk and to deserve one of the five spots on the floor for any and every hoops team. The GOPHER has been blessed to have Murph for these years. Only ONE other player who has played Big Ten Basketball has MORE rebounds than MURPH. Does anyone else realize just WHAT that means? That is a crazy...crazy impressive statistic and accomplishment. Murph will FOREVER be one of the GREATEST Men's basketball players to have EVER been a GOPHER hoops player. Squeeze together a little more Lou Hudson, Kevin McHale, Michael Thompson, Randy Breuer and make room for the GOPHER faithful to honor Jordan Murphy. Offensive and defensive rebounding, along with the ability hit a respectable percentage of free throws makes up at least 50% of the skills to be one of the most golden of the GOPHER hoops players. Murph is the MOST in the category of rebounders to have ever played for the Maroon & Gold! Thanks for all the memories during a typical GOPHER basketball career. Thank you for being among that handful of the GREATEST to have played their home games in the BARN!

Last edited:

Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with

Murph is the only one foolish, fickle fans. Murph IS a GOPHER. Happ is a stinking badger. Fact of life kids. Murph has given the GOPHER all he has. How can any fickle fans ask for more? Happ breaks hearts at the free throw line. When the game is on the line: foul Happ! It has been done successfully by a lot of Big Ten Coaches. Happ has never figured out how to consistently make free throws. I know...rocket science right? He can't help it? Or, he is just too lazy to do it? He should have been able to keep working on free throws after all these years of playing. Larry Bird...Magic...Kevin McHale couldn't be depended on for pressure free throws? That helped make them a cut above many. Happ happens to be haphazzard when the game is on the line in the final five minutes due to that most basic of basketball fundamental skills.

How much is a rebound worth? I'd have to rate rebounding right up there with the ability to score...the ability to defend...the ability to make assists and the ability to walk and to deserve one of the five spots on the floor for any and every hoops team. The GOPHER has been blessed to have Murph for these years. Only ONE other player who has played Big Ten Basketball has MORE rebounds than MURPH. Does anyone else realize just WHAT that means? That is a crazy...crazy impressive statistic and accomplishment. Murph will FOREVER be one of the GREATEST Men's basketball players to have EVER been a GOPHER hoops player. Squeeze together a little more Lou Hudson, Kevin McHale, Michael Thompson, Randy Breuer and make room for the GOPHER faithful to honor Jordan Murphy. Offensive and defensive rebounding, along with the ability hit a respectable percentage of free throws makes up at least 50% of the skills to be one of the most golden of the GOPHER hoops players. Murph is the MOST in the category of rebounders to have ever played for the Maroon & Gold! Thanks for all the memories during a typical GOPHER basketball career. Thank you for being among that handful of the GREATEST to have played their home games in the BARN!

Impossible for me to agree with this more than I already do. Also impossible for me to express this sentiment better than you already have. But that won't stop me from trying... Not now though... I've had a few too many which means my capacity for articulation is diminished just enough that I'd feel I hadn't done Murph justice. Murph deserves my best - God knows he gives us his best every game. Murph, you've got a missive from me commin' up that will let you know how much we all love and appreciate you. Keep at it and go get a B1G championship: when you guys play your best, you can do it. No question.

Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with

I didn't expect Stephen Stills mention in this thread but well done.

Top Bottom