View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ethan Happ

37 44.58%
  • Jordan Murphy

35 42.17%
  • No need to pick between 2 studs.

11 13.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We should honor classy and record-setting Gopher players on this board and let the WI board honor their players. IMO.

Honestly depends on what you have around them. Happ would be much worse with the gophers supporting cast than he is with wisconsin’s. Nobody can shoot.

Murphy would not be as good for Wisconsin as Happ is.

Edit: meant to say would not be
    Last edited by Some guy; 02-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.

I think the two posts above are both right. Jordan Murphy has been a great Gopher.

Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    Curry doesn't look healthy to me. He is moving so slow, especially on D. Oturu should be starting again soon.
    Oturu is having an amazing freshman season. Kid is way ahead of where I thought he would be at this early. EC is not the same player right now. Hope he can get his bounce and confidence back, because next year they could be a nice combo.

Front court starters could be great, little depth in the frontcourt for next year on the roster currently. We could be pretty deep at guard and could potentially press!

Carr, IW, Gabe, Willis, Tre.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOP DREAMS View Post
    Oturu is having an amazing freshman season. Kid is way ahead of where I thought he would be at this early. EC is not the same player right now. Hope he can get his bounce and confidence back, because next year they could be a nice combo.
    I think we all forget what Eric Curry was even as a freshman. He gave you 10-15 minutes a game and was decent. Yes, he had some big shots late in a few games. But he was in now way dominant and I just don't think he is a savior type at all. I would most definitely start Oturo. Right now, he is our most consistent performer. The kid is going to be really good. I'm talking all conference starting next year if he keeps improving. He was a great get.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    The homerism is showing in the poll results. Happ is a far better player. Murphy is a better rebounder (though barely - Happ averages a double-double) and free throw shooter. Happ is better (to far better) at every other facet of basketball.

It's also not a particularly fair comparison. If Murphy were 6'10" it would be a better discussion.
    The question isn't 'who is the better player?'. The question is 'who would you rather have?'.
    Perfectly reasonable to prefer the one we actually have been engaging in following for 4 years.
    It's also reasonable to argue who is better if that's what you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by benlaur View Post
    We should honor classy and record-setting Gopher players on this board and let the WI board honor their players. IMO.

Murphy will go down as one of my favorite all time gophers I've watched play, I wish we could've had more success with him.

With that Said, I think Happ is better and it's ok to admit that, doesn't take away from Murphy. I wouldn't trade away Murphy for Happ if given the option

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    The question isn't 'who is the better player?'. The question is 'who would you rather have?'.
    Perfectly reasonable to prefer the one we actually have been engaging in following for 4 years.

While true, I read it as whose Better so I picked Happ

I couldn't in good conscience trade Murphy for Happ, despite selecting Happ, because I went with whose better

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Actually, he asks both - he asks "who would you rather have" in the poll, and then says "wondering who people think is the better player" in the initial post. So, it seems the OP himself is confused at what question he's actually asking.

And, again - anybody who looks at it dispassionately would state Happ, no matter which of the questions is being asked.

Actually, he asks both - he asks "who would you rather have" in the poll, and then says "wondering who people think is the better player" in the initial post. So, it seems the OP himself is confused at what question he's actually asking.

And, again - anybody who looks at it dispassionately would state Happ, no matter which of the questions is being asked.
    Who would that be?

Good catch. Think each one is better for the program they are with. Happ handles the ball and is better at the pass out or in and he passes to better shooters. Both are warriors, awesome players with big holes. Neither can shoot with any kind of range and Happ is a terrible free throw shooter. Both are average screeners.

Happ is a much better player

Murphy is somewhat overrated on this board. He is a good rebounder and can get the scrappy buckets but he is a poor defender and limited offensively by his height. He might be a little more efficient offensively if he had a few shooters surrounding him but he struggles passing the ball out of double teams and turns the ball over pretty consistently. Happ is just a better player in most regards, and that's ok to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by A nonymous View Post
    Happ is a much better player

Murphy is somewhat overrated on this board. He is a good rebounder and can get the scrappy buckets but he is a poor defender and limited offensively by his height. He might be a little more efficient offensively if he had a few shooters surrounding him but he struggles passing the ball out of double teams and turns the ball over pretty consistently. Happ is just a better player in most regards, and that's ok to admit.

I agree with this.
    If you need him to be your best player, Happ is the clear choice.
    If surrounded by talent, it is close to a pick em.

I don’t think either will be in the nba
    Last edited by Some guy; 02-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Happ by a mile. Better go-to scorer + good at passing out of the post to open shooters. That creates a great pick your poison scenario for WI.

Murphy has rebounding and garbage point ability which keeps him close, but Happ is the guy you want down the stretch or when your team needs buckets to stop a run or survive a cold shooting streak. Murphy can muscle in for a few, but mostly takes what is given to him. Happ has ability to beat competent defending consistently.
    Last edited by bfast; 02-09-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    "If these rafters could talk, imagine the stories they would tell... of the teams, and the players... the moments and the memories that have made Williams Arena one of the cathedrals of college basketball..."