Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Jordan Murphy

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • No need to pick between 2 studs.

Votes: 12 13.8%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Monster game for Murphy last night 16 pts, 19 boards!

Happ also had a double-double.

Happ is better offensively and gets more props. Murph is the better rebounder and is the double-double king.

Just wondering who people think is the better player.

BTW, Oturu with the double-double off the bench. I think he should probably be starting.

Lots to think about there. There is more to it than just scoring and rebounding.

Oturo is only coming off the bench due to his shoulder injury. It's likely Pitino will get him starting soon again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy answer, Happ. Murphy's height limits him to where Happ's does not.

Definitely Happ. Besides FT shooting, he is pretty complete. Love Murph though (except when he tries to feed the post from the top of the key! )

Curry doesn't look healthy to me. He is moving so slow, especially on D. Oturu should be starting again soon.

Well, Happ does seem to be pretty good at blowing kisses, so he has that going for him. (When he was blowing kisses right after the game, I assumed they were sarcastic kisses to the Minnesota student section, but could not tell who they were aimed at.)

I’ve always felt if Murphy were Happ’s height, he would already be in the NBA but he’s not so I think you have to lean Happ slightly. What I will say is the Wisconsin system and the shooters they have allow Happ to showcase his low post game a bit more. Team spacing has always been a bit of an issue through Murphy’s time here. It’s closer than I think the average College Basketball fan would think i’d say.

Love to have them both. I think the comments here are missing Happ's greatest strength: he is the consummate team player and leader. They run the ball through him much of the time and he is very good at finding open men. He is also very good at passing out of a double team. Of course, he also hustles constantly.

Happ is a better scorer, distributer, and defender. Murphy is a better rebounder. Happ is better.

I’ve always felt if Murphy were Happ’s height, he would already be in the NBA but he’s not so I think you have to lean Happ slightly. What I will say is the Wisconsin system and the shooters they have allow Happ to showcase his low post game a bit more. Team spacing has always been a bit of an issue through Murphy’s time here. It’s closer than I think the average College Basketball fan would think i’d say.

Murphy creates spacing problems because of his unusual skill set. He's a beast down low but is tough to feed on the low post because he is about 6-6 at best and faces a taller defender. So he likes to drive from 12-15 feet to give himself a chance to rise over a defender. But we also have a true big in Oturu or in Curry who then need to clear out to give Murphy space. As Murphy drives he draws 3 defenders often times because they don't respect our ability to shoot and Murph is not thinking pass very often when he gets the ball. I like the high low action they have been trying - Murphy to Oturu but last night Murphy threw two of the passes too low and got them intercepted. The big deal with Murphy is no jumper. The way he gets defended he could shoot open 15 footers all night but he won't because he isn't confident he can make them.

I'd reverse what they are doing at this point because of Oturu's progress. Start by trying to post Oturu low and get him the ball first in the block if possible. Let Murphy go after the garbage baskets. I think the spacing would work out better. Outside shooters still have to make shots- either way.

The homerism is showing in the poll results. Happ is a far better player. Murphy is a better rebounder (though barely - Happ averages a double-double) and free throw shooter. Happ is better (to far better) at every other facet of basketball.

It's also not a particularly fair comparison. If Murphy were 6'10" it would be a better discussion.

The homerism is showing in the poll results. Happ is a far better player. Murphy is a better rebounder (though barely - Happ averages a double-double) and free throw shooter. Happ is better (to far better) at every other facet of basketball.

It's also not a particularly fair comparison. If Murphy were 6'10" it would be a better discussion.

If Murphy were 6'10 I don't think it'd be close.

I’m not sure that Happ is much taller than Murph. I think his roster height is a bit inflated.

I don't think either has an nba future. Although Happ will be drafted.

Happ has a better skill set and is the better player. Last night it looked like he is only about an inch taller than Murphy to me.

We should honor classy and record-setting Gopher players on this board and let the WI board honor their players. IMO.

Honestly depends on what you have around them. Happ would be much worse with the gophers supporting cast than he is with wisconsin’s. Nobody can shoot.

Murphy would not be as good for Wisconsin as Happ is.

Edit: meant to say would not be

Last edited:

I think the two posts above are both right. Jordan Murphy has been a great Gopher.

Curry doesn't look healthy to me. He is moving so slow, especially on D. Oturu should be starting again soon.

Oturu is having an amazing freshman season. Kid is way ahead of where I thought he would be at this early. EC is not the same player right now. Hope he can get his bounce and confidence back, because next year they could be a nice combo.

Front court starters could be great, little depth in the frontcourt for next year on the roster currently. We could be pretty deep at guard and could potentially press!

Carr, IW, Gabe, Willis, Tre.

Oturu is having an amazing freshman season. Kid is way ahead of where I thought he would be at this early. EC is not the same player right now. Hope he can get his bounce and confidence back, because next year they could be a nice combo.

I think we all forget what Eric Curry was even as a freshman. He gave you 10-15 minutes a game and was decent. Yes, he had some big shots late in a few games. But he was in now way dominant and I just don't think he is a savior type at all. I would most definitely start Oturo. Right now, he is our most consistent performer. The kid is going to be really good. I'm talking all conference starting next year if he keeps improving. He was a great get.

The question isn't 'who is the better player?'. The question is 'who would you rather have?'.
Perfectly reasonable to prefer the one we actually have been engaging in following for 4 years.
It's also reasonable to argue who is better if that's what you enjoy.

We should honor classy and record-setting Gopher players on this board and let the WI board honor their players. IMO.

Murphy will go down as one of my favorite all time gophers I've watched play, I wish we could've had more success with him.

With that Said, I think Happ is better and it's ok to admit that, doesn't take away from Murphy. I wouldn't trade away Murphy for Happ if given the option

The question isn't 'who is the better player?'. The question is 'who would you rather have?'.
Perfectly reasonable to prefer the one we actually have been engaging in following for 4 years.

While true, I read it as whose Better so I picked Happ

I couldn't in good conscience trade Murphy for Happ, despite selecting Happ, because I went with whose better

Actually, he asks both - he asks "who would you rather have" in the poll, and then says "wondering who people think is the better player" in the initial post. So, it seems the OP himself is confused at what question he's actually asking.

And, again - anybody who looks at it dispassionately would state Happ, no matter which of the questions is being asked.

Actually, he asks both - he asks "who would you rather have" in the poll, and then says "wondering who people think is the better player" in the initial post. So, it seems the OP himself is confused at what question he's actually asking.

And, again - anybody who looks at it dispassionately would state Happ, no matter which of the questions is being asked.
Who would that be? :confused:

Good catch. Think each one is better for the program they are with. Happ handles the ball and is better at the pass out or in and he passes to better shooters. Both are warriors, awesome players with big holes. Neither can shoot with any kind of range and Happ is a terrible free throw shooter. Both are average screeners.

Happ is a much better player

Murphy is somewhat overrated on this board. He is a good rebounder and can get the scrappy buckets but he is a poor defender and limited offensively by his height. He might be a little more efficient offensively if he had a few shooters surrounding him but he struggles passing the ball out of double teams and turns the ball over pretty consistently. Happ is just a better player in most regards, and that's ok to admit.

Happ is a much better player

Murphy is somewhat overrated on this board. He is a good rebounder and can get the scrappy buckets but he is a poor defender and limited offensively by his height. He might be a little more efficient offensively if he had a few shooters surrounding him but he struggles passing the ball out of double teams and turns the ball over pretty consistently. Happ is just a better player in most regards, and that's ok to admit.

I agree with this.
If you need him to be your best player, Happ is the clear choice.
If surrounded by talent, it is close to a pick em.

I don’t think either will be in the nba

Last edited:

Happ by a mile. Better go-to scorer + good at passing out of the post to open shooters. That creates a great pick your poison scenario for WI.

Murphy has rebounding and garbage point ability which keeps him close, but Happ is the guy you want down the stretch or when your team needs buckets to stop a run or survive a cold shooting streak. Murphy can muscle in for a few, but mostly takes what is given to him. Happ has ability to beat competent defending consistently.

Last edited:

Top Bottom