STrib: Former Gophers receiver Jeff Jones attempting football comeback

He was enrolled in at least 3 junior colleges at one point. Iowa Western, Garden Community, and another. Im not sure he ever played a game for any though.

He played the 2010 season for Iowa Western, 247 lists him as having offers from Arizona and Iowa State. Another article that quoted Iowa Western's coach at the time said that if his academics were in order he would have had more D1 interest. The same article stated that Sam was taking 19 credits in Spring '10 in order to be eligible to transfer.

linked below is his highlight tape from Iowa Western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_BmkFYvviY

So I guess I'll be "that guy" and ask, why would JJ go back to football? What is the point? If he leads NAIA in rushing, receiving, passing, kicking and defense, I can't imagine an NFL team even thinking about taking him. The only two players from Waldorf who made the NFL were when it was a Junior College (apparently it still was in 1990) and they went on to Indiana and Nebraska, respectively. He can't transfer back to D1 because of the 4 years in 5 rule he'll be out of eligibility. He likely is getting a minimal scholarship, if any, why even bother? How is it going to further his career? I feel like he'd be better off trying out for XFL or Arena, if he wants to make money playing football. Or he's just playing football to have fun, which I suppose is fine if he has some other way to make a living...

So I guess I'll be "that guy" and ask, why would JJ go back to football? What is the point? If he leads NAIA in rushing, receiving, passing, kicking and defense, I can't imagine an NFL team even thinking about taking him. The only two players from Waldorf who made the NFL were when it was a Junior College (apparently it still was in 1990) and they went on to Indiana and Nebraska, respectively. He can't transfer back to D1 because of the 4 years in 5 rule he'll be out of eligibility. He likely is getting a minimal scholarship, if any, why even bother? How is it going to further his career? I feel like he'd be better off trying out for XFL or Arena, if he wants to make money playing football. Or he's just playing football to have fun, which I suppose is fine if he has some other way to make a living...

So I guess I’ll be that guy...
Why do 96% of college football players at all levels play? It’s not like they’ll make money from it...

Same reason most players play? Most players are going to "make a living" from it.

So I guess I’ll be that guy...
Why do 96% of college football players at all levels play? It’s not like they’ll make money from it...

Their financial aid package absolutely makes them money, particularly FBS. It’s more accurate to say like every other human being they’re always wanting more.

I've never made a cent playing football and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could. I love the sport. That has been the case with most of the guys I have played with.

Maresh had a huge drinking problem. He was pretty open about it later on. It derailed everything for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom