Pitino Interview on BTN

Did he actually say he regrets scheduling so hard in the non conference ?

Can you blame him? Apparently we should have scheduled a couple more cupcakes and beat them 110-30.

Can you blame him? Apparently we should have scheduled a couple more cupcakes and beat them 110-30.

Or scheduled top 20 programs and won ! Our non con must be in the 270's . To call that tough is a gross lie to those of us who want to see big time games.

Tubbys noncon was way worse

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He did but I think it was Pitino being Pitino...tongue in cheek because the NET ranking gives them NO respect and the 20 Big Ten conference games is an absolute grinder. Just inserting the awareness they have had a lot of tough games on their schedule and reminding everyone they do have 16 wins and they didn't play patsies to achieve them.

Tubbys noncon was way worse

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was it? I thought I remembered Tubby’s staff having kind of a knack for scheduling mids and lows who ended up finishing toward the top of their conferences and avoiding teams with an RPI of 200, 300, or higher. SS might be able to speak more to that.

Or scheduled top 20 programs and won ! Our non con must be in the 270's . To call that tough is a gross lie to those of us who want to see big time games.

When in the last 30 years have we scheduled Top 20 programs non conference? (unless it's part of conference challenges) We aren't at that level. For us we did play some reputable games non conference that we were in jeopardy of losing. That is progress. In the path to 21 wins thread...6 of our non-conference games are in the expected to win column...so 6 cupcakes out of 11 non conf games is tougher than recent history. And that's navigating the new gauntlet of 20 Big Ten games for the first time , in addition...plus the December Big Ten games to schedule around. No issues with our non conference schedule from me.

He scheduled NCAA tourney teams Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Washington and Utah who were rising NIT teams from last year. Got unlucky in getting Boston College (and then losing.) He scheduled only five buy games (lowest in at least 20 years).

Caught some bad luck in Texas A&M having guys go pro and Oklahoma State and Utah not being as good as hoped. Washington is a top notch win.

Although Tubby, I think did play better competition in the warm weather 3 day December tournament games. I did appreciate those.

When in the last 30 years have we scheduled Top 20 programs non conference? (unless it's part of conference challenges) We aren't at that level. For us we did play some reputable games non conference that we were in jeopardy of losing. That is progress. In the path to 21 wins thread...6 of our non-conference games are in the expected to win column...so 6 cupcakes out of 11 non conf games is tougher than recent history. And that's navigating the new gauntlet of 20 Big Ten games for the first time , in addition...plus the December Big Ten games to schedule around. No issues with our non conference schedule from me.

My opinion that the non con schedule of 271 is not tough. My opinion.

There is talk that in the future, teams will likely schedule more cupcakes to win by large margins to appease the NET gods and improve efficiency ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion that the non con schedule of 271 is not tough. My opinion.

Well, yeah, they didn't know Utah and Okie State and Texas A&M were going to bad.

Honestly I think this was the most ambitious non-conference schedule Minnesota has had in at least 20 years. More Power 6 teams than anything in the past two decades, fewer buy games than any schedule in decades, and then some bad luck and a bad loss hurt it.

Where they need to get better is avoiding the 250+ and 300+ dog teams. If they were better in that, the 271 number would be not nearly as bad.

Was it? I thought I remembered Tubby’s staff having kind of a knack for scheduling mids and lows who ended up finishing toward the top of their conferences and avoiding teams with an RPI of 200, 300, or higher. SS might be able to speak more to that.

I seem to remember that as well, at least in Tubby's latter years.

There is talk that in the future, teams will likely schedule more cupcakes to win by large margins to appease the NET gods and improve efficiency ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they'll wait and see how the committee treats a team like NC State, who played an awful nonconf schedule and has been propped up by strong computer numbers. Things like overall SOS, nonconf SOS, and other metrics that aren't as kind to teams that schedule that way are still used.

Plus, that is a high-risk way to do it. A bad SOS usually means a lower margin for error.

He scheduled NCAA tourney teams Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Washington and Utah who were rising NIT teams from last year. Got unlucky in getting Boston College (and then losing.) He scheduled only five buy games (lowest in at least 20 years).

Caught some bad luck in Texas A&M having guys go pro and Oklahoma State and Utah not being as good as hoped. Washington is a top notch win.

I think you confused Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and are incorrect about the Gophers being unlucky this year with their strength of schedule due to Oklahoma State, Utah and BC. Last year Okie State was under .500 in conference (with some good wins), and did not go to the NCAA tourney. This year, Okie State was predicted to be at or near the bottom of the Big 12, e.g. the Sporting New picked the pre-season to finish last. Okie State is currently one place ahead of last, which is right about where people thought they would be.

Utah lost a lot from last year's team, and was generally picked pre-season to finish 8th in the Pac 12, which is a pretty bad league. Utah currently sits in a tie for 6th place in the league, so Utah too is not underperforming. No bad luck there for the Gophers.

Also, when you finish one game out of last place last year, the deal is that you will get an ACC bottom feeder in the Big Ten-ACC challenge. Iowa got Pitt, and the Gophers got BC. Nothing unlucky about either draw. Also, the Gophers were at home in the ACC challenge the year before, so it was there time to play on the road. Nothing unlucky about that.

When the Gophers agreed in 2017 to go play in Vancouver, perhaps they thought Texas A&M would be a better team, but after the end of last season, with A&M's departures, A&M was widely predicted to be a bottom feeder this year in the SEC, which is exactly where they are. They could have filled in the schedule this year, knowing that A&M would be a bad SEC team.

Ultimately, it is not unlucky that the Gophers have a Ken POM non-conference SOS of 267, and a RPI NC SOS of 190. It's the schedule that Coach Pitino chose.

In contrast, Tubby's last year, when the Gophers got into the NCAA with an under .500 conference record, which is a hard thing to do, the SOS got in them in the dance. They ended the season with an RPI SOS of 5, and Ken Pom had their NC SOS as 103, no doubt helped by playing Duke (RPI 1) and Memphis (RPI 14), and a road game at USC, in addition to the ACC challenge road game at FSU. Tubby only played 2 sub 200 RPI teams that last year, and had nothing like this year's 4-consecutive-game rip off of season ticket holders with Arkansas State (RPI 200), North Florida (RPI 239), NC A&T (RPI 226) and Mount Saint Mary's (RPI 313).

I think you confused Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and are incorrect about the Gophers being unlucky this year with their strength of schedule due to Oklahoma State, Utah and BC. Last year Okie State was under .500 in conference (with some good wins), and did not go to the NCAA tourney. This year, Okie State was predicted to be at or near the bottom of the Big 12, e.g. the Sporting New picked the pre-season to finish last. Okie State is currently one place ahead of last, which is right about where people thought they would be.

Utah lost a lot from last year's team, and was generally picked pre-season to finish 8th in the Pac 12, which is a pretty bad league. Utah currently sits in a tie for 6th place in the league, so Utah too is not underperforming. No bad luck there for the Gophers.

Also, when you finish one game out of last place last year, the deal is that you will get an ACC bottom feeder in the Big Ten-ACC challenge. Iowa got Pitt, and the Gophers got BC. Nothing unlucky about either draw. Also, the Gophers were at home in the ACC challenge the year before, so it was there time to play on the road. Nothing unlucky about that.

When the Gophers agreed in 2017 to go play in Vancouver, perhaps they thought Texas A&M would be a better team, but after the end of last season, with A&M's departures, A&M was widely predicted to be a bottom feeder this year in the SEC, which is exactly where they are. They could have filled in the schedule this year, knowing that A&M would be a bad SEC team.

Ultimately, it is not unlucky that the Gophers have a Ken POM non-conference SOS of 267, and a RPI NC SOS of 190. It's the schedule that Coach Pitino chose.

In contrast, Tubby's last year, when the Gophers got into the NCAA with an under .500 conference record, which is a hard thing to do, the SOS got in them in the dance. They ended the season with an RPI SOS of 5, and Ken Pom had their NC SOS as 103, no doubt helped by playing Duke (RPI 1) and Memphis (RPI 14), and a road game at USC, in addition to the ACC challenge road game at FSU. Tubby only played 2 sub 200 RPI teams that last year, and had nothing like this year's 4-consecutive-game rip off of season ticket holders with Arkansas State (RPI 200), North Florida (RPI 239), NC A&T (RPI 226) and Mount Saint Mary's (RPI 313).

Great post. Be careful for posting facts as they are not welcome when not favoring our team.

Way too many facts and sound logic for this to be posted on Gopherhole.

Top Bottom