Alliance of American Football

mkAz

Reaction score
They kick off this weekend.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Philip Nelson can kiss a brick.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Has PN9 demanded he be the unchallenged starter yet - or does that come after he plays average in a few games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fascinating concept. I really enjoyed watching the CFL last fall - very entertaining brand of football. The best part was the “live mics” aspect - all coaches are live mic, QBs live mic 100% of the time. Sure there were some odd expletives but the canucks aren’t as dandy as we are. I hope they incorporate that. Th NFL is so insufferably vanilla maybe this entity can shake things up.

From wiki

Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer "full-screen commercials," with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.[16][21] In turn, the AAF aims to charge more money for the remaining commercial slots, also alluding to product placement opportunities that do not interrupt the game telecast.[1]

All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.[21]

There will be no kickoffs; halves, odd overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 28-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards.[22] (The original proposal for this play had teams making a 10-yard play from the 35-yard line.)[21][2]

The play clock will run only 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than in the NFL. (The league originally proposed a 30-second play clock,[21] but Ebersol concluded that a clock that short would have negative impact on the quality of play.)[1]

Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic.[21]

Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.[14]

In the event of a tie at the end of regulation, a single overtime period will be played, under the high school football rules of the "Kansas Playoff." Each team will begin on their opponent's 10-yard line and be given one possession (four downs) to score. If the score remains tied after each team has been given their possession, the game ends in a tie.[1]

Fascinating concept. I really enjoyed watching the CFL last fall - very entertaining brand of football. The best part was the “live mics” aspect - all coaches are live mic, QBs live mic 100% of the time. Sure there were some odd expletives but the canucks aren’t as dandy as we are. I hope they incorporate that. Th NFL is so insufferably vanilla maybe this entity can shake things up.

From wiki

Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer "full-screen commercials," with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.[16][21] In turn, the AAF aims to charge more money for the remaining commercial slots, also alluding to product placement opportunities that do not interrupt the game telecast.[1]

All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.[21]

There will be no kickoffs; halves, odd overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 28-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards.[22] (The original proposal for this play had teams making a 10-yard play from the 35-yard line.)[21][2]

The play clock will run only 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than in the NFL. (The league originally proposed a 30-second play clock,[21] but Ebersol concluded that a clock that short would have negative impact on the quality of play.)[1]

Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic.[21]

Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.[14]

In the event of a tie at the end of regulation, a single overtime period will be played, under the high school football rules of the "Kansas Playoff." Each team will begin on their opponent's 10-yard line and be given one possession (four downs) to score. If the score remains tied after each team has been given their possession, the game ends in a tie.[1]

The alternate for an onside kick seems way too easy compared to traditional onside kicks, unless they were trying to make it easier.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has PN9 demanded he be the unchallenged starter yet - or does that come after he plays average in a few games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, if I got passed by Liedner I might flee the state too

ESPN: AAF suspends operations; Polian 'disappointed'

After eight weeks of games and less than one season into Alliance of American Football's existence, league owner Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all operations, league co-founder Bill Polian confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football," Polian said in a statement Tuesday. "When Mr. Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all.

"The momentum generated by our players, coaches and football staff had us well positioned for future success. Regrettably, we will not have that opportunity."

The league had been struggling from the outset. After the first week of the season, Dundon -- owner of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes -- pledged a $250 million investment and essentially took command of the AAF.

The league shot down reports that it needed the money to stay afloat. Instead, sources told ESPN at the time that there was an issue with the payroll company the league was using.

"I sincerely regret that many that believed in this project will see their hopes and efforts unrewarded," Polian said in his statement Tuesday. "They gave their best for which I am deeply grateful. Unfortunately, Mr. Dundon has elected this course of action."

Employees were notified of the decision in a letter from the AAF board on Tuesday afternoon, according to The Associated Press.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/aaf-suspends-operations-polian-disappointed

Go Gophers!!

Looks like the AAF wont even register something as memorable as He Hate Me during its short life.

They needed the NFL. The NFL, or perhaps the NFLPA in the end (not sure?) said no.

It comes down to the question: "do you want there to be a viable professional life and opportunity for football players who aren't stars, outside the NFL" ?

I don't think the NFL wants that. I think they want only stars and significant contributors to stick around, long term. The rest of the players they want to be a constant cycling through, with new players from college under controlled rookie contracts. Guys who are 5-6 years removed, and are better than younger guys on practice squads, but not necessarily good enough to make 53 man rosters .... they don't want those guys sticking around pro football.

The secondary benefit, is that it prevents cities like, for example Salt Lake City, forming an identity with a hometown pro football team. Then other teams can use the thread of moving there to coerce new stadiums out of their current cities.

Another nail in the coffin that fans will pay to watch “minor league” professional football.

Considering all the star power around the league in terms of coaches, former NFL players, analysts it is telling that they couldn’t make it work even with major TV coverage every week.

I think they made a mistake in not following the lead of our more innovative canadian friends and using live mics on coaches/players 100% of the time, and using something different like the “command center” constant stat update multi-screen we see during the CFP. Fans (like me) will tune in if their attention is held and getting in on the usual coach banter is interesting. This AAF league was much more boring IMO than, eg the CFL or college football. I really missed the kickoffs as well.

Let’s see if the XFL can stir up the boring NFL formula.

Well they can use Nelson's backwards pass in their highlight reel to show everyone the quality of play they had.

Well they can use Nelson's backwards pass in their highlight reel to show everyone the quality of play they had.

Not quite “he’s running the wrong way!” but hilarious in its own right.

Not quite “he’s running the wrong way!” but hilarious in its own right.

The difference being that Jim Marshall did it by accident. Nelson made the god awful bonehead moronic pass on purpose.

Americans still are seasonal as to sports, despite the crazy overlaps the past few decades. An autumn rival league might grow into a kind of AAA farm system and pull a lot of not-very-academic college players away for pay and hopes to move up to the NFL. I didn't expect this one to catch on.

To make it, I think it had to be a presented in a totally different way than an NFL game. Basically do a "Last Chance U" type of deal where there's a TV show that goes into the prep week, and you watch what these folks are doing. So yes, that means the night before the game you get to see how the two teams playing each other prepared for that game. That'd really change the whole interest level and make it something very different than watching an NFL game.

They needed the NFL. The NFL, or perhaps the NFLPA in the end (not sure?) said no.

It comes down to the question: "do you want there to be a viable professional life and opportunity for football players who aren't stars, outside the NFL" ?

I don't think the NFL wants that. I think they want only stars and significant contributors to stick around, long term. The rest of the players they want to be a constant cycling through, with new players from college under controlled rookie contracts. Guys who are 5-6 years removed, and are better than younger guys on practice squads, but not necessarily good enough to make 53 man rosters .... they don't want those guys sticking around pro football.

The secondary benefit, is that it prevents cities like, for example Salt Lake City, forming an identity with a hometown pro football team. Then other teams can use the thread of moving there to coerce new stadiums out of their current cities.

The NFL fully supported this league, you flaming nitwit. The players association didn't play ball on a few concessions but for the most part, the AAF had the full support of the NFL. You're beyond help

There's simply no room for minor league football, even if the level of play is somewhat higher than the NCAA. Nobody has any allegiance to the new leagues/teams.

Paid minor league basketball or football have never gained much traction in America because there's already a system that people have supported for generations -- the NCAA. The NCAA is the only organization making money off of minor league sports because they don't pay the players and there's a massive historical following for college football and men's basketball.

Football also suffers from the need to have large rosters and guys taking hits/injuries that are just as real as the NFL. It's not like G League where each NBA team can build a 12 man roster with a few guys they are already paying plus some guys getting paid like junior office staffers.

Americans still are seasonal as to sports, despite the crazy overlaps the past few decades. An autumn rival league might grow into a kind of AAA farm system and pull a lot of not-very-academic college players away for pay and hopes to move up to the NFL. I didn't expect this one to catch on.

Academics or the pay has never been an issue for SEC guys.

The NCAA is the only organization making money off of minor league sports because they don't pay the players

If P5 confs were allowed to pay all athletes instead of giving them scholarships, and the confs capped the dollar amount per athlete to be no more than the school’s FCOA number, and capped the per sport dollar total at that number times the current scholarship caps ...... there would be literally not one cent difference from now.

So I doubt any current fan would care an iota.

If P5 confs were allowed to pay all athletes instead of giving them scholarships, and the confs capped the dollar amount per athlete to be no more than the school’s FCOA number, and capped the per sport dollar total at that number times the current scholarship caps ...... there would be literally not one cent difference from now.

So I doubt any current fan would care an iota.

This is already the case, unless I’m mistaken.

Why conferences aren’t shamed (or required by the NCAA) into rolling their revenue back into academics (you know, the schools that support them) via a salary cap system instead of blowing it on ridiculous staff salaries (1M for for Mark Coyle...let that sink in) and laughably overpriced facilities contract costs is beyond me.

Let’s promote a more level playing field and support the academic mission of the schools.

Yes, the maximum dollar value of all athletic schoolships is capped at the school’s FCOA number.

That’s the same number the Dept of Ed uses to cap the amount of aid any student can receive through FAFSA.

Hence why a student-athlete-employee salary (as opposed to a scholarship) capped at that same number, would again result in zero difference, and so fans wouldn’t care if players were paid.

I enjoyed the AAF games, living in Tampa I had season tix with some friends for the Orlando team. Was a fun excuse to tailgate and drink beer

Too bad. If former Vikings coach Jerry Burns was twenty years younger, imagine him wearing a live mic.

Last edited:

Top Bottom