Alliance of American Football

Burnsie's 92 and still kicking.

I’m sure something could be worked out.

Point was, paying players salaries or paying them scholarships, doesn’t matter. Fans won’t care.

You seem to care. I care. Guess it’s just the two of us that care.

You seem to care. I care. Guess it’s just the two of us that care.

You wouldn’t stop watching the Gophers if the players were paid tax-exempt salaries of $30k per year (or whatever the FCOA number is). I certainly wouldn’t stop, in fact I’d be applauding. No one else would stop. That’s what I meant by “care”.

You wouldn’t stop watching the Gophers if the players were paid tax-exempt salaries of $30k per year (or whatever the FCOA number is). I certainly wouldn’t stop, in fact I’d be applauding. No one else would stop. That’s what I meant by “care”.

I think interest would drop if college players were professional. I think you're underestimating the impact it would have. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, but I think there's a significant crowd that it would.

I think interest would drop if college players were professional. I think you're underestimating the impact it would have. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, but I think there's a significant crowd that it would.

They already are professionals, being paid scholarships worth five figures.

Does hand-waiving and historical English made-up concepts (“amateurism”) REALLY give you the warm fuzzies?? I think you should stop deluding yourself.

You watch because you’re a fan of Gopher football. The name on the front. You root for the players on the team, to beat the other schools. None of that would be any different.

They already are professionals, being paid scholarships worth five figures.

Does hand-waiving and historical English made-up concepts (“amateurism”) REALLY give you the warm fuzzies?? I think you should stop deluding yourself.

You watch because you’re a fan of Gopher football. The name on the front. You root for the players on the team, to beat the other schools. None of that would be any different.

People would definitely care. I already have the option to watch professional sports and in fact everyone, until earlier this week, had another option to watch minor league football. And they didn't.

People would definitely care. I already have the option to watch professional sports and in fact everyone, until earlier this week, had another option to watch minor league football. And they didn't.

But they’d continue to watch to watch college football, which would be zero percent different.

College players are paid now, and they’d be paid then. Why aren’t you being honest with yourself about that??

I truly want to know, because you’re so sure, so convinced that it would be a step change. Why would player salaries, of exactly the same dollar figure that they’re paid now via scholarship, be such a huge turn off???

Why? What is the psychology of it, that you cant get past?

But they’d continue to watch to watch college football, which would be zero percent different.

College players are paid now, and they’d be paid then. Why aren’t you being honest with yourself about that??

I truly want to know, because you’re so sure, so convinced that it would be a step change. Why would player salaries, of exactly the same dollar figure that they’re paid now via scholarship, be such a huge turn off???

Compensation does not equal salary. Receiving a scholarship is not the same as cash and you should not equate them as identical.

I think to many fans the fact that the athletes are students is a major component to why they watch college football. It is perceived by some as a nobler pursuit to play in exchange for an education rather than a paycheck.

You do realize that those proposing paying the players are not proposing that the pay would be in lieu of scholarships?

But as to why I am so sure that it would change the fanbase? Because I know I would care and many of my other friends and acquaintances would as well. I know you are kind of a weird guy on here, all over the place, but I fail to understand why you think people would be lying about that? If you wouldn't fine, but others would. You might have to come to grips that others don't hold the same opinion as you.

Top Bottom