Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Strawman: annihilated!
    Yawn...

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I agree with the statement as written. I have no idea whether the statement as issued by him is a warning of further far left fascism he fears or a warning to those he opposes. Obama did oppose gay marriage-which is why I responded that way rather than directly to his statement.
    I prefer not to single out any single politician, but many politicians were against gay marriage just 12 years ago, the list includes many, many Democrats and almost all Republicans at the time.

I understand holding people responsible for what they say and do now, and going forward based on what we publicly perceive to be acceptable and not acceptable, but the going back into history from 20-50 years ago to flame out people for comments and actions which at that point were hardly inexcusable at that time is wrong (if not dangerous) in my opinion.

If these actions were so terrible, why were they not called out and handled when they occurred?
    Go Gophers!

The question in the OP: is this PC culture run amok? It depends on what you call PC and running amok. Mary Poppins is what it is, and I personally think the original film treated it sensitively while still being faithful to the original art. And what's wrong with this writer writing about it and bringing it out into the open. At the very least, people who have an interest in literature will find it illuminating.

I've always been strong in my opinion that Disney should bring Song of the South out of the vault and available for airing and home video. They could do it sensitively and with whatever disclaimer will make it clear that what they're trying to do is exhibit a great piece of art, not perpetuate offensive stereotypes. And if some people don't like it, they aren't friends of film or art. When my girls were younger, we watched "Holiday Inn," which includes a blackface musical number. I merely explained up front that it's now considered in poor taste but at the time was accepted, and that's all there was to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    The question in the OP: is this PC culture run amok? It depends on what you call PC and running amok. Mary Poppins is what it is, and I personally think the original film treated it sensitively while still being faithful to the original art. And what's wrong with this writer writing about it and bringing it out into the open. At the very least, people who have an interest in literature will find it illuminating.

I've always been strong in my opinion that Disney should bring Song of the South out of the vault and available for airing and home video. They could do it sensitively and with whatever disclaimer will make it clear that what they're trying to do is exhibit a great piece of art, not perpetuate offensive stereotypes. And if some people don't like it, they aren't friends of film or art. When my girls were younger, we watched "Holiday Inn," which includes a blackface musical number. I merely explained up front that it's now considered in poor taste but at the time was accepted, and that's all there was to it.
    That is exactly how you should have handled it imo. I feel that the PC culture of today wants blood for any, and all, "injustices". It isn't enough to stop doing whatever is considered wrong...they want people to pay. I hope Dick Van Dyke is being safely guarded.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I have no idea whether the statement as issued by him is a warning of further far left fascism he fears or a warning to those he opposes.
    Yes, I know. And it's neither one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    I understand holding people responsible for what they say and do now, and going forward based on what we publicly perceive to be acceptable and not acceptable, but the going back into history from 20-50 years ago to flame out people for comments and actions which at that point were hardly inexcusable at that time is wrong (if not dangerous) in my opinion.
    Agree.

If these actions were so terrible, why were they not called out and handled when they occurred?
    They likely were, by some, but the winds hadn't shifted enough. But burying the fact that they were generally accepted and that art and other things created at that time will reflect that is not a good way to handle it after the enlightenment.

I'll say this: as a black man it truly sucks when you try to enjoy older books and movies but are smacked in the face with blatant racism. I decided a few years ago to dive into Agatha Christie's catalogue, particularly the Hercule Peirot novels. Sadly enough I kept running into random uses of the word 'ni**er' even though there wasn't a black character to be found. Then I happened to go to a play a friend was in called '10 Little Soldiers' only to find out before the show that it was based on a Christie book originally titled '10 Little Ni**ers'. So yea, no more Agatha Christie for me. So I suppose those unaffected can chalk these things up as PC culture, but of course you don't have to deal with these books and movies referring to your people as subhuman.

I prefer not to single out any single politician, but many politicians were against gay marriage just 12 years ago, the list includes many, many Democrats and almost all Republicans at the time.

I was and still am against gay marriage. I have never been against those same rights (marriage) being granted under a different name (civil union?).

I also donít lose any sleep that gay marriage became the acceptable term.

I donít think anyone who subscribes to a religion whose belief is against homosexuality should be criticized without said religion being criticized along with them......or not. Just stay consistent.

I also donít get the point of holding people accountable for something they did decades ago without considering their behavior between then and the present. People do change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oleboy41 View Post
    I'll say this: as a black man it truly sucks when you try to enjoy older books and movies but are smacked in the face with blatant racism. I decided a few years ago to dive into Agatha Christie's catalogue, particularly the Hercule Peirot novels. Sadly enough I kept running into random uses of the word 'ni**er' even though there wasn't a black character to be found. Then I happened to go to a play a friend was in called '10 Little Soldiers' only to find out before the show that it was based on a Christie book originally titled '10 Little Ni**ers'. So yea, no more Agatha Christie for me. So I suppose those unaffected can chalk these things up as PC culture, but of course you don't have to deal with these books and movies referring to your people as subhuman.
    I know right? These are the same people who are still pissed at Obama because he addressed racism....moderately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The land of cows, colleges and content providers.
    Blog Entries

Is the new minstrel show simply the elite pretending to be middle class?
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!