Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Mary Poppins is Racist...promotes black face...

    Apparently a professor has claimed that the chimney sweep scene with Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews is a racist scene depicting black face.

    Is this not PC culture run amok?

    https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/a...ey-sweep-scene


  2. #2

    Default

    On balance I find the piece goes too far, but I'd recommend reading the original NYT column. It goes beyond simply putting coal dust on her face:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/m...blackface.html

    This might seem like an innocuous comic scene if Travers’s novels didn’t associate chimney sweeps’ blackened faces with racial caricature. “Don’t touch me, you black heathen,” a housemaid screams in “Mary Poppins Opens the Door” (1943), as a sweep reaches out his darkened hand. When he tries to approach the cook, she threatens to quit: “If that Hottentot goes into the chimney, I shall go out the door,” she says, using an archaic slur for black South Africans that recurs on page and screen.


    The 1964 film replays this racial panic in a farcical key. When the dark figures of the chimney sweeps step in time on a roof, a naval buffoon, Admiral Boom, shouts, “We’re being attacked by Hottentots!” and orders his cannon to be fired at the “cheeky devils.” We’re in on the joke, such as it is: These aren’t really black Africans; they’re grinning white dancers in blackface. It’s a parody of black menace; it’s even posted on a white nationalist website as evidence of the film’s racial hierarchy. And it’s not only fools like the Admiral who invoke this language. In the 1952 novel “Mary Poppins in the Park,” the nanny herself tells an upset young Michael, “I understand that you’re behaving like a Hottentot.”
    In Travers’s first “Mary Poppins” novel, published in 1934, a magic compass transports the children around the world, including a stop where they meet a scantily clad “negro lady,” dandling “a tiny black pickaninny with nothing on at all.” (“Pickaninny” has long been seen as an offensive term for a black child.) She addresses Mary Poppins in minstrel dialect and invokes the convention of blacking up: “My, but dem’s very white babies. You wan’ use a li’l bit black boot polish on dem.”

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Apparently a professor has claimed that the chimney sweep scene with Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews is a racist scene depicting black face.

    Is this not PC culture run amok?

    https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/a...ey-sweep-scene
    How long can Bing Crosby's Holiday Inn survive?? The ban is coming.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    On balance I find the piece goes too far, but I'd recommend reading the original NYT column. It goes beyond simply putting coal dust on her face:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/m...blackface.html
    Burn Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Throw out To Kill a Mockingbird.
    It is fascinating to watch the neo-social structure and elite emerge. I suspect the lack of tolerance of the past will be supplanted by an equally intolerant present social elite. In some ways it is similar to watching the French Revolution.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Burn Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Throw out To Kill a Mockingbird.
    It is fascinating to watch the neo-social structure and elite emerge. I suspect the lack of tolerance of the past will be supplanted by an equally intolerant present social elite. In some ways it is similar to watching the French Revolution.
    Honestly, I canít find your point here. Nice word salad.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintpaulguy View Post
    Honestly, I canít find your point here. Nice word salad.
    It's okay if you don't get it.

  7. #7

    Default Mary Poppins is Racist...promotes black face...

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    It's okay if you don't get it.
    Thanks. I await your umbrage on Song of the South.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintpaulguy View Post
    Thanks. I await your umbrage on Song of the South.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    LOL, that damn rabbit...

  9. #9

    Default

    Neo social structure.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #10

    Default

    In a couple years, anyone who voted against gay marriage will be the next not worthy to hold jobs of any sort because of their scandalous past.
    Go Gophers!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    In a couple years, anyone who voted against gay marriage will be the next not worthy to hold jobs of any sort because of their scandalous past.
    Obama?

  12. #12

    Default Mary Poppins is Racist...promotes black face...

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    In a couple years, anyone who voted against gay marriage will be the next not worthy to hold jobs of any sort because of their scandalous past.
    Astute post. Please explain it to BGA, so he understands that he agrees with you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,182
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    In a couple years, anyone who voted against gay marriage will be the next not worthy to hold jobs of any sort because of their scandalous past.
    You're making Mike Pence sad.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Astute post. Please explain it to BGA, so he understands that he agrees with you.
    I agree with the statement as written. I have no idea whether the statement as issued by him is a warning of further far left fascism he fears or a warning to those he opposes. Obama did oppose gay marriage-which is why I responded that way rather than directly to his statement.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Burn Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Throw out To Kill a Mockingbird.
    It is fascinating to watch the neo-social structure and elite emerge. I suspect the lack of tolerance of the past will be supplanted by an equally intolerant present social elite. In some ways it is similar to watching the French Revolution.
    Strawman: annihilated!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •