Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    This is such an interesting point.
    - no way Purdue is a higher ranked school
    - no way Purdue has better facilities than us
    - no way does Purdue have a “better” modern history of winning than us
    - you can argue one way or another, but I would argue that Brohm is not a more talented salesman than Fleck
    - don’t think they can offer more immediate playing time

So what was it?? How did they pull it off?

You can always speculate funny stuff (bagmen), but I’m going to assume that was not the case.

So that leads me to he only other thing I can think of: geography. Being physically located more closely to more people and more four star athletes. Closer to them, and the recruit is closer to home.

What else could it be?? Even Madison and Iowa City are closer to Chicago and he “core” Midwest/Great Lakes football areas.

Our distance and isolation from the population centers of higher end football talent, has statistically hurt us over the years. That’s all I can conclude.
    It's perception. Brohm took a team that had won nine games total (three total in the B1G) in the four years preceding him to seven wins (four in B1G) his first year. Beat three ranked teams in 2018 and went 5-4 in B1G. He can't bump along at 6 or 7 wins though...will impact his future classes pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    1st or 2nd in the Big Ten West. What I'm hoping for is top 25 ranking based on the recruiting prowess we are paying $3.5MM+ a year for. Ideally our goal should be top 5 in the Big Ten, but "that's not possible". Unless you're Purdue this year. Doing it once is great, sustaining it is what I'm looking for.

my assessment is not how Minnesota ranks from year to year, but how they rank relative to the rest of the Big 10 west from year to year. This class could have been worse in terms of average and number of 4/5 star players, but if we were still 2nd relative to the Big Ten west, I'd be less concerned.
    You keep tossing around that 3.5 million salary number like that is supposed to be impressive. I get that it is quite a bit more then we have paid around here traditionally but by comparison it is still one of the lowest salaries in the Big Ten.

https://n.rivals.com/news/breaking-d...in-the-big-ten

Purdue has 26 recruits and their average player rank is 86.63 on rivals. We have 22 recruits and an average of 85.80. Their top 2 guys are both from Indiana and their highest rated guy was from friggin West Lafayette.

I'm not saying you are wrong in wanting us to recruit at the top of the Big Ten West but that is always going to be tough around here because our in state talent base is pretty weak most years. The important thing is that we are recruiting similar talent to the teams we are up against and I would argue that there is very little difference in the classes from top to bottom in the Big Ten West this year. A few might have more headliners but none of the classes are bad or way behind the others. Only 3 teams in the Big Ten pulled down what would be considered great recruiting classes on paper and those are Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    You keep tossing around that 3.5 million salary number like that is supposed to be impressive. I get that it is quite a bit more then we have paid around here traditionally but by comparison it is still one of the lowest salaries in the Big Ten.

Purdue has 26 recruits and their average player rank is 86.63 on rivals. We have 22 recruits and an average of 85.80. Their top 2 guys are both from Indiana and their highest rated guy was from friggin West Lafayette.

I'm not saying you are wrong in wanting us to recruit at the top of the Big Ten West but that is always going to be tough around here because our in state talent base is pretty weak most years. The important thing is that we are recruiting similar talent to the teams we are up against and I would argue that there is very little difference in the classes from top to bottom in the Big Ten West this year. A few might have more headliners but none of the classes are bad or way behind the others. Only 3 teams in the Big Ten pulled down what would be considered great recruiting classes on paper and those are Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan.
    caliG lays it out in post #42.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post

When Fleck was hired, $3.5MM was in the 6-8 range in the Big Ten. It’s up to him to deliver results to increase that salary.

Stop making excuses as to why we can’t recruit. We can. We took a step up last year. A small step back this year. I expect him to be going forward. Each year at least right now given “how bad a situation he took over” it shouldn’t be an expectation that gets pushback.

In recruiting we can’t say that this year. It’s supposed to be his strength. We should expect more. He has more tools and resources than any coach at the U since 1961. Stadium, facilities, salaries for assistants, funds for recruiting, etc. I expect him to make use of it. If he can’t, we aren’t moving forward. We’ve been idling for too long. Changing coaches isn’t the answer. Fleck delivering on his schtick needs to happen. I’d say he’s not earning his $3.5MM no matter how low that falls on the scale in the big ten. He needs to. He’s said repeatedly that better recruiting will get us there. His model in the MAC was to our recruit everyone. The good news is he’s still out recruiting the MAC. The bad news is we play in the Big Ten. He needs to up his game. Like he needed to fix his horrible hire at DC. He did that. He didn’t come through on the recruiting trail this year.

To clarify on Purdue. They had a good recruiting year this year. That’s great. Sustaining it is what will change fortunes. Going backwards won’t. We’ll see where we end up next year. Hopefully top of the Bog Ten west and ahead of wisconsin, Iowa, and Purdue (and Indiana) next season and in line with or above Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.