Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default D-tackle Kristian Williams leaves 2019 recruiting class

per Greder:

Defensive tackle Kristian Williams announced Monday he has left the Gophers’ 2019 recruiting class.

“After talking it over with both my family and coaches, we believe it’s best at this time to de-commit from the University of Minnesota,” Williams wrote in a message on Twitter.

Williams, a a 6-foot-3, 297-pound prospect from Memphis, Tenn., gave an oral commitment to Minnesota ahead of the early signing period on Dec. 19, but decided to wait when the rest of the class made it official with national letters of intent.

“I appreciate everything the Gopher staff, fan base and players have done for me, and this decision doesn’t determine the love and appreciation that I have for that university.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/0...ruiting-class/

Go Gophers!!

Well, he did ask God for advice, so...

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Greder:

Defensive tackle Kristian Williams announced Monday he has left the Gophers’ 2019 recruiting class.

“After talking it over with both my family and coaches, we believe it’s best at this time to de-commit from the University of Minnesota,” Williams wrote in a message on Twitter.

Williams, a a 6-foot-3, 297-pound prospect from Memphis, Tenn., gave an oral commitment to Minnesota ahead of the early signing period on Dec. 19, but decided to wait when the rest of the class made it official with national letters of intent.

“I appreciate everything the Gopher staff, fan base and players have done for me, and this decision doesn’t determine the love and appreciation that I have for that university.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/0...ruiting-class/

Go Gophers!!
    Looks like maybe he's going to Oregon?

https://247sports.com/Player/Kristia...iams-46040808/

Interesting that all the schools are listed as "cool". Wonder if there are some academic issues or something else? Hope things work out for him regardless (unless he plays the Gophers! ).

Polar vortex, damn you
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Not too shocking, glad he didn't drag it out all the way till signing day I guess.

Warmer to a couple schools as opposed to us. Something is obviously up in the air. Time to move on I guess.

Well, he still loves and appreciates us. Very touching.

Kristian, we hardly knew yee.
    F wisconsin and I do really hate Iowa.

Blog Entries

Like sands through the hour glass...., so ends this saga.

Better now, than realizing you do not want to be here after a semester or two.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Blog Entries

He’s not that good anymore since he drop from 4⭐️ To 3⭐️.

I hate to sound cynical, but I see this as a growing trend. I don't have any numbers to back this up - just a feeling or impression that this is happening far more often than it used to.

Of course, there is far more attention paid to recruiting now, so these de-commits and flipping gets a lot more attention. But, I just don't remember this happening a lot in "the good old days."

My guess is that it's a by-product of the move to an earlier signing day. kids feel pressure to make decisions sooner, and I think it's human nature to second-guess yourself or have doubts - especially if you think you might have made a premature decision. In a perfect world, kids would not make commitments until they were 100% sure about their decision. but, when you're dealing with 17-yr old kids, that's not going to happen.

so, it's unfortunate, but I don't think it's any reflection on the Gophers program or coaches. No recruit is a sure thing until they send in a signed LOI. until that moment, there is always a chance of something happening.

I know some of you think that recruiting rankings from 20-45 don't matter but I hate to see us lose our only four-ish star commit.
    I admit, I savored last season. We got the AXE back. That was huge bragging rights for a Gopher living in Wisconsin cause of my job but I have higher aspirations for this team.
    We should be able to land at least one or two 4* players with our improvement and new facilities, shouldn't we. Beating Wisconsin shouldn't be all we settle for.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyCross66 View Post
    I know some of you think that recruiting rankings from 20-45 don't matter but I hate to see us lose our only four-ish star commit.
    I admit, I savored last season. We got the AXE back. That was huge bragging rights for a Gopher living in Wisconsin cause of my job but I have higher aspirations for this team.
    We should be able to land at least one or two 4* players with our improvement and new facilities, shouldn't we. Beating Wisconsin shouldn't be all we settle for.
    Pretty sure Rashad Cheney, Tyler Nubin and Jacob Clark are "four-ish" stars.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    Pretty sure Rashad Cheney, Tyler Nubin and Jacob Clark are "four-ish" stars.
    Schad and Namdi too