Former Baylor coach Art Briles will interview for Southern Miss OC job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

To be honest, I doubt there are B1G rules that prohibit or address who universities can hire, either. I don't know why a conference would have such a rule? NCAA - sure, conference???

To be honest, I doubt there are B1G rules that prohibit or address who universities can hire, either. I don't know why a conference would have such a rule? NCAA - sure, conference???

Even with such rules... it would be a legal nightmare.

California already told the NCAA to take a hike with NCAA rules who they can or can't hire.

Well we have Minnesota rules I believe. Perhaps with the new AD we don't have them.

Honestly if a school is willing to bring him in as an OC they should just make him head coach.

Coach Bliss as recruiting coordinator to boot?

Baylor has had two coaches in this century involved in coverups for rape and murder.

I can't fathom how they have stayed relevant in football and basketball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don’t know why some of the Gopholers are against him. It’s not like he had direct knowledge of what actually happened on campus. Yes, some players were expelled, but not any different than what happened at the U. Had TC had Briles pedigree, he would have survived.

Briles isn’t the first or last coach to allegedly overlook shady behavior by players that help them win. The list is long. AFAIK the allegation against Briles are that he didn’t directly report an allegation to the campus Title IX office, instead telling her to go to the police (she didn’t). He also denied knowing the details about a player’s dismissal from Boise State that allegedly included domestic and/or sexual assault allegations among other things. Honestly, I’ve never seen a concise listing of Brile’s failures in all this. It would be interesting for a journalist to try and piece it all together and find out the real stories but being a private institution and with privacy law it’s unlikely we’ll ever know (most of) the facts other than what’s come out in the 2 or 3 lawsuits that have gone to trial. Mostly hearsay and allegations dropped by aggrieved parties.

Would not surprise me if it came out that the old, white Baptists who run Baylor decided to use Briles as a scapegoat.

Geez, let the man work. I’m sure everyone is full aware of his past. As a non-HC, he will not be central to reporting information for the FB team. Let those of you without fault cast the first stone.

History has shown some people like to be outraged even when they know less than half the facts (or in some cases none). It’s very likely Briles isn’t as evil as some think, or as good as his daughter thinks he is. Most people are somewhere in between. I don’t know enough about the facts of all this to know if I should be outraged or not. Someone surely has to have looked into this at some point. Please post if you have a good accounting.

Geez, let the man work. I’m sure everyone is full aware of his past. As a non-HC, he will not be central to reporting information for the FB team. Let those of you without fault cast the first stone.

Quite a first stone- abetting rapists. Not like he was fired for shoplifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a first stone- abetting rapists. Not like he was fired for shoplifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this were true he’d be in facing jail. He was rightly fired for failing to follow procedure and for being the head of a culture that apparently wasn’t conforming to a Title IX standard (as was the campus as a whole). When accusers refuse to go to the police or report to campus resources (ie EOAA) is that abetting rapists?

Again, I don’t know all the details. There was a recent incident at the U where an accuser said up to 20 football players assaulted her. We don’t know all the facts there either.

If this were true he’d be in facing jail. He was rightly fired for failing to follow procedure and for being the head of a culture that apparently wasn’t conforming to a Title IX standard (as was the campus as a whole). When accusers refuse to go to the police or report to campus resources (ie EOAA) is that abetting rapists?

Again, I don’t know all the details. There was a recent incident at the U where an accuser said up to 20 football players assaulted her. We don’t know all the facts there either.

For sure, the head coach not reporting sexual assault allegations is the same situation as an accuser not wanting to come forward publicly.

You should just stop talking now

For sure, the head coach not reporting sexual assault allegations is the same situation as an accuser not wanting to come forward publicly.

What makes you think that Coach Briles knew about the supposed rape? I am sure one of his players didn stop in his office and say “Coach I raped a girl last night”. Didn’t know, can’t report. Pretty simple when you think about it.

As a mandatory reporter he failed if he knew about it and was rightly fired. Obviously there were other allegations swirling around but how many came out before his time there or surfaced afterward isn’t clear to me. What doesn’t make sense to me is why he was the point of contact for the accuser - maybe the student was just confused, or wanted retribution without involving the school administration. I don’t know but found it curious a student sought out the head coach.

I think what bothers me is the breathless venom thrown around - “he’s pro rape and sheltered rapists and is a terrible person that should never work again”, or in the case of the Maryland coach “he murdered a kid” and there are many examples with other issues. Why can’t the facts stand on their own without all the added hyperbole?

As a mandatory reporter he failed if he knew about it and was rightly fired. Obviously there were other allegations swirling around but how many came out before his time there or surfaced afterward isn’t clear to me. What doesn’t make sense to me is why he was the point of contact for the accuser - maybe the student was just confused, or wanted retribution without involving the school administration. I don’t know but found it curious a student sought out the head coach.

I think what bothers me is the breathless venom thrown around - “he’s pro rape and sheltered rapists and is a terrible person that should never work again”, or in the case of the Maryland coach “he murdered a kid” and there are many examples with other issues. Why can’t the facts stand on their own without all the added hyperbole?

I know nothing about anything about Baylor.

My two points were this:
1) if you’re willing to bring him in as the OC then you should fire your coach and make him head coach. He is a really good head coach. So if off the field stuff isn’t disqualifying not sure why you’d make him just a coordinator

2) you asked if an accuser refusing to prosecute was abetting rapist. Comparing a woman not wanting her name in the public to an accused non-reporter makes you look like an idiot. So I advised you to stop making that comparison.

I know nothing about anything about Baylor.

My two points were this:
1) if you’re willing to bring him in as the OC then you should fire your coach and make him head coach. He is a really good head coach. So if off the field stuff isn’t disqualifying not sure why you’d make him just a coordinator

2) you asked if an accuser refusing to prosecute was abetting rapist. Comparing a woman not wanting her name in the public to an accused non-reporter makes you look like an idiot. So I advised you to stop making that comparison.

The police and media don't release names. The school doesn't release names. WTF are you talking about?

So the plot thickens. Southern Miss announced:

We have met with Art Briles regarding a position with the Southern Miss football program. Following that meeting, we informed him that he is not a candidate. The university will have no further comment on this matter.

It seems like the school knew they stepped in it.

On the other hand the Southern Miss's HC ... doesn't seem to agree:

I'll belive the coach believes what he says about forgiveness... but it also seems like convenient self interest ... with religion used to justify it.

The police and media don't release names. The school doesn't release names. WTF are you talking about?
You compared a victim not reporting to a coach not recording and asked

“When accusers refuse to go to the police or report to campus resources (ie EOAA) is that abetting rapists? ”

I have no idea what happened at baylor. Didn’t follow follow it much. But when you make statements like you made you make yourself look like an idiot.
If you’re fine with that, do go on

You compared a victim not reporting to a coach not recording and asked

“When accusers refuse to go to the police or report to campus resources (ie EOAA) is that abetting rapists? ”

I have no idea what happened at baylor. Didn’t follow follow it much. But when you make statements like you made you make yourself look like an idiot.
If you’re fine with that, do go on

What are you trying to say? The accuser refused to report a crime and wasn’t going to cooperate either way. We can argue whether that’s ok because of the idea the accuser may be too psychologically damaged to go forward but an argument can also be made that the report can’t really be actionable without the cooperation of the accuser, and history says such non-comittal behavior can be for any variety of reasons. The Minnesota EOAA does not (or at least have not) moved forward with investigations in cases where the accuser decides to not cooperate. It’s obviously a complicated issue and Briles should have picked up the phone but to what end is anyone’s guess. All I’m saying it’s a bit different to aid and abet a crime than it is to not follow administrative protocol.

So the plot thickens. Southern Miss announced:

It seems like the school knew they stepped in it.

On the other hand the Southern Miss's HC ... doesn't seem to agree:

I'll belive the coach believes what he says about forgiveness... but it also seems like convenient self interest ... with religion used to justify it.

WOW the southern baptists really have it out for Briles! Destroying their precious Baylor.

He isn't going to get any job in the south, where they have sway.

Top Bottom