Will the Gophers go with the Slap-A-Happ approach on Wendsday?

Otis

Reaction score
Just curious, as the Free Throw thread shows that Wisconsin attempts the lowest average for FTs per game.

Will the Gophers make them prove it at the line again?

And can we get Fa'a'le'le suited up to knock Happ and Davison around 5 times by then?

you can't right away...you start out the game and if he gets going you hack him to get him out of his routine.

you can't right away...you start out the game and if he gets going you hack him to get him out of his routine.

I'd use the fouls when he attacking the basket. Foul him hard enough to prevent an And 1 situation. Really hammer him. Frustrate him. Make him anticipate contact.

They will definitely use hack a Happ. Matz will be in play. I think that the most interesting strategy decision surrounds IW. He didn't play last time and we won but he has shown a lot of improvement since then. I think he gets 20 minutes this game.

Hopefully not “Slap a Happ”. Would be fun, but I think those would get us some ejections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think, just based on watching one recent WI game Happ has smoothed his free throws out a bit. Not a good strategy if he makes 3 of 4. He is an excellent post player passing, scoring, ball handling, rebounding, effort. If he was a Gopher he'd be our best player by far. Would he also be our best free throw shooter? lol We miss so many dang free throws.
WI is playing better.
Gonna be tough.

I think, just based on watching one recent WI game Happ has smoothed his free throws out a bit. Not a good strategy if he makes 3 of 4. He is an excellent post player passing, scoring, ball handling, rebounding, effort. If he was a Gopher he'd be our best player by far. Would he also be our best free throw shooter? lol We miss so many dang free throws.
WI is playing better.
Gonna be tough.

Ethan Happ's FT percentage this season is 47%, which would be good for being better than only Omersa on our roster. The walk-ons and Stull haven't attempted one this year so they are at 0%.

Hopefully not “Slap a Happ”. Would be fun, but I think those would get us some ejections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your Hacking Happ intentionally. That likely means the Badgers are ahead. Sounds like fun.

WI is playing better.
Gonna be tough.

I don't think he's FAR better than Coffey, but different skill set. But yes, Happ would be a good player to have, terrible FT% and all

If your Hacking Happ intentionally. That likely means the Badgers are ahead. Sounds like fun.

Last time they fouled Happ intentionally the Gophers were winning and won. You can foul guys when you're ahead if they shoot 47% on free throws. Because if he misses the front end of a 1 and 1...its an empty possession. Its good situational basketball.

Oh, this will turn into a FT contest for sure. But I don't think the Badgers will be bashful about sending the Gophers to the line in pressure situations either.

WI is playing better.
Gonna be tough.

Last 3 games

1-5 vs NW
0-3 vs Neb
6-12 vs MD

that's 7-20 or 35%

Last 3 games

1-5 vs NW
0-3 vs Neb
6-12 vs MD

that's 7-20 or 35%

With those stats once Wisconsin gets in the 1-1 each half the Gophers should automatically foul Happ when he touches the ball for a quick turnover.

Last time they fouled Happ intentionally the Gophers were winning and won. You can foul guys when you're ahead if they shoot 47% on free throws. Because if he misses the front end of a 1 and 1...its an empty possession. Its good situational basketball.

It has not proven to be "good situational basketball" the last 5 games where the Badgers are 5-0..I find it comical that you are attributing a good Gopher win to hack a happ.

It has not proven to be "good situational basketball" the last 5 games where the Badgers are 5-0..I find it comical that you are attributing a good Gopher win to hack a happ.

Did those teams Hack-A-Happ? Because it doesn't appear that they did. And they lost. The Gophers intentionally fouled Happ and won. Every game is different. Your argument is proving mine right. Thank you for making this so simple. Clears up the rest of my morning nicely. Might hit the gym.

You're right, the Gophers flat out beat Wisconsin the last time they played.

Once you run out to a lead against Whisky they will inevitably come back at some point. No better way to stop a Whisky run than to put Happ the chucker on the line!

Top Bottom