STrib: Greenville University scores 200 points. But is this a classy ending?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Sometimes, like when you're coaching seventh-grade basketball, the coach of a vastly superior team pretty much has an obligation to find ways to control the final score. By college, though, those rules disappear.

Teams make their choices and live with the outcome. But ...

Greenville University, a small southern Illinois school that plays a style designed to score points and not focus on defense, defeated Fontbonne University 200-146 on Saturday in a Division III men's game. Greenville may sound familiar to some Minnesota college football fans, because its football team plays in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference. The Panthers didn't play very well last season, giving up 47 points in a loss to St. Scholastica of Duluth and 63 to Martin Luther of New Ulm last season.

But here's what stands out about Saturday's game: Ahead 196-145 in the game's final minute, Greenville fouled intentionally to get the ball back. With 198 points and seconds remaining, Greenville did it again, hitting a lay-up at the buzzer to reach 200, including 103 in the second half.

Let's go to the video, which the school posted on its Twitter feed after getting some attention from ESPN.:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/greenvil...points-but-is-this-a-classy-ending/505305792/

Go Gophers!!

I mean I guess someday when those guys are old and grey they can sit their grandkids down and wow them with the story about the time they scored 200 points against something called Fontbonne University.

Pretty sad to be that desperately going after points against an opponent who probably wants nothing more than to get the game over with and get the heck out of there.

"If you don't like us scoring 200, stop it"-Lots of people, probably.

Wow. What a pathetic display. I've seen a lot of teams score like 97 and not pull this garbage.

Ok, the absurdity of employing this for an entire game is laughable. I still can't help but wish the Gophers took more out of this "playbook". We might not be able to keep up the pace for long, but we definitely seem at home when we don't let the other teams get set on D! Oh the other team is going on a run? Fine... Gentlemen, start your engines. Go!

You guys haven't been around the NET rankings much have you? Of course this was the smart thing to do.

You guys haven't been around the NET rankings much have you? Of course this was the smart thing to do.

I actually thought about going in and adding a NET comment to my original post. :)

If your at 196 with a minute left and leading by fifty, why not just go for the 200 mark.

Did they stop feeding Wilt the ball because they had a big lead? Hell, no.

If your at 196 with a minute left and leading by fifty, why not just go for the 200 mark.

Did they stop feeding Wilt the ball because they had a big lead? Hell, no.

Wilt was a ball hog. Al Attles was 8/8 the game he scored 100. Why not feed the hot hand?

If I'm the other team, I'd have fouled that last guy instead of letting him get the layup.

Top Bottom