ESPN: Kansas AD: Faith in NCAA 'shaken' following Silvio De Sousa ruling

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long grew emotional Saturday in his response to the NCAA's punishment of sophomore forward Silvio De Sousa, who was declared ineligible for this season and next because his guardian had received impermissible benefits.

During a brief news conference before the Kansas-Texas Tech game, Long said the school had provided the NCAA with all documents or information requested, and had held De Sousa out of competition in good faith all season.

"I have always respected the NCAA and trusted the process, but I must tell you that my faith has been shaken," Long said. "We stand behind our student-athletes when we believe they've been wronged."

At issue is not whether De Sousa's guardian, Fenny Falmagne, accepted a $2,500 payment from former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola to steer the prospect to Kansas. Rather, it's whether De Sousa, a native of Angola, had any knowledge of the pay-for-play scheme or benefited from it in any way.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-ncaa-shaken-following-silvio-de-sousa-ruling

Go Gophers!!

So if you keep it secret... it’s ok.

If only they paid off some non student athletes as well...

Poor Kansas. Can't catch a break. :rolleyes:

The real potential story here is, coupled with the Missouri story, are we starting to see some acceleration of the P5 leaving the NCAA?

Whaaaaahh, We're not going to win our conference for the __ year in a row! Injustice.

They are just mad because they got caught and are actually being punished as opposed to the standard slap on the wrist the NCAA usually hands out for the elite college basketball programs.

When you have been allowed to cheat as long as most of these blue bloods have it has to be a pretty big shock when you actually get punished a little.

They are just mad because they got caught and are actually being punished as opposed to the standard slap on the wrist the NCAA usually hands out for the elite college basketball programs.

When you have been allowed to cheat as long as most of these blue bloods have it has to be a pretty big shock when you actually get punished a little.

It's not a punishment. They should have to vacate wins and be banned from tournament play for years. They have to hold out a player for a season. That isn't a punishment. Give them the death sentence we got.

Paying players is the worst of the worst. They aren't even getting in any trouble for it.

It's not a punishment. They should have to vacate wins and be banned from tournament play for years. They have to hold out a player for a season. That isn't a punishment. Give them the death sentence we got.

Paying players is the worst of the worst. They aren't even getting in any trouble for it.

#levelplayingfield
#excusesareforlosers

This now marks the 4th player in the last several years that the NCAA has suspended from KU: Josh Selby, Cliff Alexander, and Billy Preston were the others. KU also got barred from postseason play in 1989

Actually De Sousa will miss 2 seasons.

It isn't. Many even advocate that players should be paid.

Irrelevant when right now it's against the rules to pay players. I may advocate at the top of my lungs to drive 90 MPH down my block, but it's a pointless argument when the law says the limit is 35.

Irrelevant when right now it's against the rules to pay players. I may advocate at the top of my lungs to drive 90 MPH down my block, but it's a pointless argument when the law says the limit is 35.

It is relevant because the post he responded to said paying players is the worst of the worst.

I think hiding widespread (or any) sexual assaults/rapes (Baylor football or Reggie Lynch come to mind), academic fraud and a host of other things is worse than giving a kid some cash to play for your institution. Apparently I value lives over sports.

I'd much rather have my school get caught paying kids to come there than hiding 100s of sexual assaults.

It is relevant because the post he responded to said paying players is the worst of the worst.

I think hiding widespread (or any) sexual assaults/rapes (Baylor football or Reggie Lynch come to mind), academic fraud and a host of other things is worse than giving a kid some cash to play for your institution. Apparently I value lives over sports.

I'd much rather have my school get caught paying kids to come there than hiding 100s of sexual assaults.

Iam not fine with either but agree that the penalty for one should be worse than another. I want all cheaters, abusers, criminals out. Consequences for actions.

Top Bottom