STrib: Amir Coffey is leading Gophers, while developing potential NBA skills

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The last 10 Big Ten games offer a plethora of opportunities for Minnesota to boost its NCAA tournament résumé. At the same time, Coffey can boost his pro stock, too.

“If he wants to be an NBA player, now it comes down to his skill level, where he can dribble, pass, shoot and make decisions,” coach Richard Pitino said. “I believe he’ll play in the NBA at some point. I love his mentality right now. He’s competing. He has that look of a guy who wants to take the next step as a basketball player.”

Testing waters

In stretches this season, Coffey carried the Gophers offense (32 points vs. Nebraska and 29 points vs Rutgers), similar to Purdue’s Carsen Edwards and Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ. Both of those players declared for the draft last spring but returned to school and have played even better.

Whether or not his son is projected to get drafted this year, Richard Coffey wants Amir to test the process after the season, because that was the plan before his season-ending shoulder surgery his sophomore year.

“I really wanted Amir to go through that process last year, so he could gain that experience and that knowledge,” Richard Coffey said. “I think that helps kids when they come back to play another year. Amir didn’t get a chance to do that because he was hurt. This year we definitely plan on doing that for nothing else but the experience.”

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...le-developing-potential-nba-skills/505258872/

Go Gophers!!

Lol Marcus is kidding right! I feel bad for Amir he clearly doesn’t have what it takes to be a NBA guy but everyone in his ear claiming he is. They obviously don’t know what a NBA skill set looks like. Amir is a good college player enjoy it and great kid. To bad his dad is such a Richard!

Lol Marcus is kidding right! I feel bad for Amir he clearly doesn’t have what it takes to be a NBA guy but everyone in his ear claiming he is. They obviously don’t know what a NBA skill set looks like. Amir is a good college player enjoy it and great kid. To bad his dad is such a Richard!

Hey I couldn't care less as long as he comes back and is better for it! You always just worry they turn into one of those guys who got bad advice and went undrafted. That would be so Minnesota.

FYI, Ryan Arcidiacano is in "The League", as are many other players with physical tools and skill sets below those of Amir. He has enough to play in the NBA if he continues to improve (off hand and 3-pt shooting among others) and the chips fall right.

If he keeps putting up big numbers in premier games he’ll get a good long look. NBA can develop players better than college. His numbers aren’t much off Jimmy Buckets numbers at Marquette through 3 years.

I'm pretty sure numbers aren't a factor! If you score 30 a game it doesnt necessarily make you an NBA player. You say his numbers are Jimmy butler like, but what's the difference between the two? Jimmy butler has had a pretty good NBA career, but is coffey headed that direction?

6-8 and agility can’t be taught. Shooting and handling can be improved drastically.

Plenty of good 6-8 players in NBA. Yes he needs to improve drastically!

6-8 slasher is a huge advantage in NCAA. Coffey is hard to guard. All that slashing to the basket and hoping to get fouled or throwing up some garbage doesnt work in the NBA. Needs to knock down more threes and be a better shooter.

Lol. That happens when you’re out of college. NBA even G league has better developers than any college, plus more time.

6-8 slasher is a huge advantage in NCAA. Coffey is hard to guard. All that slashing to the basket and hoping to get fouled or throwing up some garbage doesnt work in the NBA. Needs to knock down more threes and be a better shooter.

Slashing still works, ie. Harden, Westbrook, it's just a lot harder to finish. Amir struggles to finish in college.

Top Bottom