Silver lining

Aside from the obvious incidents, what makes you say Teague wasn't a real AD?

I'd say he deserves the most credit for making the Athletes Village a reality. IMO, it was ultimately his ambition that got it the whole projected started and we raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch. And he had a nice track record at VCU before this.

I didn't like Teague, but you make a very good point that should be stated as reminders of what ADs are actually supposed to do. Most college sports fans look at ADs like they were professional GMs but they are first and foremost business managers. The last thing the typical GM probably wants to do is fire and hire coaches. If an AD leads a very good fundraising effort he's doing his most important job.

I didn't like Teague, but you make a very good point that should be stated as reminders of what ADs are actually supposed to do. Most college sports fans look at ADs like they were professional GMs but they are first and foremost business managers. The last thing the typical GM probably wants to do is fire and hire coaches. If an AD leads a very good fundraising effort he's doing his most important job.

And his fundraising and tickets sales go up dramatically as winning coaches win games and raise money. Boosters love winning coaches. They donate millions on occasion, build arenas, pay of debts and even give annuities for coaches. Hiring the right coaches is tied directly to fundraising. Pat Richter knew this the minute he left Oscar Meyer he laid out a business plan that would hire great people. He did quick math on selling out Camp Randall instead of looking at 40,000 empty seats. Winning brought a great deal of money. Getting Alvarez did that. Then he used the recommendation of Al Maguire, Bob Knight, Coach K and Keady on who could build and teach and with the promise of the Kohl Center that got Bennett. Ab Nicholas and Herb Kohl kicked in 65 million and followed for year with large gifts after the final 4. After one interim year They hired Ryan on similar proof and the tenants of sound, precision basketball and the money just kept coming. Bigger donations, more fan interest, seat licenses, more apparel, better deals with the shoe companies, more applications.

Aside from the obvious incidents, what makes you say Teague wasn't a real AD?

I'd say he deserves the most credit for making the Athletes Village a reality. IMO, it was ultimately his ambition that got it the whole projected started and we raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch. And he had a nice track record at VCU before this.

He deserves almost no credit for the Athletes Village. It’s Jerry Kill who fat and away deserves the most credit, along with Lou Nanne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to be selfish and bump this thread. It applies tonight as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom