Silver lining

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
At least a real AD will be making the next hire. Didn’t watch a minute of the game, but I’m completely shocked a Richard Pitino team would completely collapse down the stretch/in crunch time with a lack of mental toughness, discipline, and confidence. Feel bad for the guys who committed to Minnesota like Coffey, Gabe, etc, but at least they’ll get to play for a coach hired by a real AD going forward. It’s not Pitino’s fault either, he just took what was given to him by a guy who had no business being an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I know the football board hate the AD, but I actually have a lot have a lot of confidence in Coyle.
I believe he will upgrade if he can, and he will make no move if he can’t.

He won’t pull a maturi/tongue and fire a guy with no plan in place

Aside from the obvious incidents, what makes you say Teague wasn't a real AD?

I'd say he deserves the most credit for making the Athletes Village a reality. IMO, it was ultimately his ambition that got it the whole projected started and we raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch. And he had a nice track record at VCU before this.

At least a real AD will be making the next hire. Didn’t watch a minute of the game, but I’m completely shocked a Richard Pitino team would completely collapse down the stretch/in crunch time with a lack of mental toughness, discipline, and confidence. Feel bad for the guys who committed to Minnesota like Coffey, Gabe, etc, but at least they’ll get to play for a coach hired by a real AD going forward. It’s not Pitino’s fault either, he just took what was given to him by a guy who had no business being an AD.

I agree with the notion we can make a good hire. The rest of your post is overly harsh on Pitino. I'm not too worried either way. If we miss the tournament and fire Richard, I have faith Coyle can get the right guy. If this team puts it together and makes the tournament and wins a game or two, then we have a young coach who will have appeared to turned a corner and this program will be in a good spot.

I'd rather see Pitino figure it out and ending up coaching here for a while....but if he doesn't, I think we can get a great hire.

Last edited:

Trolling

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Funny [emoji23][emoji1787] you think the Snake [emoji216] is a real AD. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Coyles hires so far have been good. Or at least perceived as good. Fleck is trending the right direction. I like the Whalen hire a lot, though it has not been fruitful thus far. Motzko is the same as Whalen. Extending McCutcheon was a no brainer. I do not like wrestling coach but his hand was forced a bit. I’m pretty certain that was Coyle at least.

Plus he hasn’t sexually harassed employees or a reporter (that we know about).

As far as the basketball hire I’m not sure who we could get. Isn’t my job to know. I know who I’d like but that doesn’t mean they’d come here regardless of our AD. I do know whoever it would be needs to be a real step up. Restarting again for the sake of restarting is a bad idea

Coyles hires so far have been good. Or at least perceived as good. Fleck is trending the right direction. I like the Whalen hire a lot, though it has not been fruitful thus far. Motzko is the same as Whalen. Extending McCutcheon was a no brainer. I do not like wrestling coach but his hand was forced a bit. I’m pretty certain that was Coyle at least.

Plus he hasn’t sexually harassed employees or a reporter (that we know about).

As far as the basketball hire I’m not sure who we could get. Isn’t my job to know. I know who I’d like but that doesn’t mean they’d come here regardless of our AD. I do know whoever it would be needs to be a real step up. Restarting again for the sake of restarting is a bad idea
Tim Miles will be looking for work...[emoji57]

Miles is not a big step up. Coyle is smarter than that and has a plan if he has to make a change.

He may have a plan but it takes two to tango, as they say. My plan would be to hire Mark Few, Bill Self, Coach K and John Calipari. You’d have a dominant coaching staff. My plan is fool proof aside from them having to agree to come here.

I have no doubt that Norwood had a plan A, B, C...all the way through O. Then he ended up with plan Pitino because no one else had the same plan as him. It happens. Hopefully not again if we fire Richard.

He may have a plan but it takes two to tango, as they say. My plan would be to hire Mark Few, Bill Self, Coach K and John Calipari. You’d have a dominant coaching staff. My plan is fool proof aside from them having to agree to come here.

I have no doubt that Norwood had a plan A, B, C...all the way through O. Then he ended up with plan Pitino because no one else had the same plan as him. It happens. Hopefully not again if we fire Richard.

Been very tough getting the first, second, or third choice to come to Mn.

So unbelievably predictable. Pathetic trolls come on here type **** full admitting they didn’t watch the he game.

Pitino didn’t piss this away. The same **** Purdue went through the first half and beginning of the second is what doomed us in the end. Maybe Purdue should fire Painter for that as well.

We’re 16-6. Bad losses, BC & Illinois. Every team in the B1G has one or 2 bad losses. Every loss, someone comes on here looking to replace the coach...then, IF WE DO, will be the same ones bitching because we’re rebuilding.

We rely heavily on 2 true freshmen...who, if they continue to develop have shown glimpses of being very special.

Pitino has faults, no doubt, all coaches do. But as a VERY well respected coach told me once “Coaches get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose”.

Let’s let the season play out instead of every loss thinking the season is lost. If we end up going into a big tailspin, one and done in the B1G tourney and don’t make the dance, of course the conversation should be had. Until then, I’m seeing things that make me believe we’re on the right track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good. Made me laugh. Ups and downs of a season (see MSU vss. Ind.). Big ten is much better tha anyone thought and we're right there. Win Wednesday and we're fine.

I remember when everyone (or least a lot of people) were all excited about Teague and his assistant Mike Ellis with the "Villa 7" connection - because that was going to be the magic pipeline to all the young, hot, up-and-coming coaching prospects. Ah, those were the days.

Your idea of a plan is too waste time on people you can not get. His plan is along the lines of hall of fame coaching recommendations. Feedback from peers. Big boy AD contacts. not little boy contacts. For now he has his coach. Win 6 of the next 9 and he keeps the job, no extension. Coyle has a great deal more equity with connects than Teague did. Teague was a terrible hire and people knew it.

Does Krzyzewski have a son we can hire? Going that route works well.

Does Krzyzewski have a son we can hire? Going that route works well.

My only question on here is if we do hire a new coach which obviously is a huge decision because like most people on here I dont want to start over and waste another 3 years, why people think tim miles is a candidate? Are we looking for an improvement or we looking for a coach who has shown he is very average and would be making a lateral move and also a team that has also been average in the big ten the past few years. I guess what I'm asking is why the love for him miles? Theres an argument out there somewhere saying Pitino is a better coach!

Miles is in real trouble at Nebraska. Bill MOOS is a highly driven AD and the second highest paid in the Big 10. Miles through 6 years at Nebraska had a conference winning % about 10 % over where Pitino is now and to me Nebraska is a much harder job. I would not make that move from RP to Miles. We must let the season play out. Pitino can still win the job forward but any AD worth his salt and we have had none until now has a succession plan. Coyle has a grand slam list and a list of the next Holtman or Archie Miller. Who is 38-40 and the Chris Mack on the way up. For now see if Pitino wins big this year and recruits well and has no more off the court garbage that he brings here.

Miles is in real trouble at Nebraska. Bill MOOS is a highly driven AD and the second highest paid in the Big 10. Miles through 6 years at Nebraska had a conference winning % about 10 % over where Pitino is now and to me Nebraska is a much harder job. I would not make that move from RP to Miles. We must let the season play out. Pitino can still win the job forward but any AD worth his salt and we have had none until now has a succession plan. Coyle has a grand slam list and a list of the next Holtman or Archie Miller. Who is 38-40 and the Chris Mack on the way up. For now see if Pitino wins big this year and recruits well and has no more off the court garbage that he brings here.

Yeah I agree miles is a stay away from. The only hire you can make here if you decide a change is a slam dunk! My indiana buddies cant stand Miller. Just goes to show ya what's actually out there that makes you happy!

Yeah I agree miles is a stay away from. The only hire you can make here if you decide a change is a slam dunk! My indiana buddies cant stand Miller. Just goes to show ya what's actually out there that makes you happy!

Miller will have all his own guys in 18 months from now and he will win. He was not their first choice but he was on the A list.

Miller will have all his own guys in 18 months from now and he will win. He was not their first choice but he was on the A list.

My buddies also dont understand that langford as good of a player that he is is still a freshman. He doesnt shoot it that well and his defense is not that great.

Y'all just realize we lost on the road to a team tied for the conference lead in a building we historically fail in, right? Or is this all just sarcasm?

FWIW, why do we always look for young coaches. How about a mid career guy who has done well but gone off the rails in another way that we could get 10-15 years out of if they keep their nose clean.

You know, a Bruce Pearl type.

My issue is who on that list would come here. I agree that this job is easier than Nebraska and if Tim can win 10% more there, I think he'd win more here as well, but I wouldn't drop Pitino and put Miles on the top of my list. I just don't know who'd come here is my issue. I'm not enamored with Hoiberg like others are, Nate Oats is starting to interest me, but he's been out east for awhile now so would he be a good candidate? Walter McCarty intrigues me, but he's still a couple years away and I don't know how he'd fit here. I think like with players, environment matters. Even Jay Wright has had struggles at Villanova. There needs to be a fit. I just am not sure what the right fit for MN is.

People throw around big names like Musselman, when we couldn’t get em, when really the best we can do is Medved. Or we could get another big in name only coach, that is overpaid. Alford sounds about right.

Y'all just realize we lost on the road to a team tied for the conference lead in a building we historically fail in, right? Or is this all just sarcasm?

FWIW, why do we always look for young coaches. How about a mid career guy who has done well but gone off the rails in another way that we could get 10-15 years out of if they keep their nose clean.

You know, a Bruce Pearl type.

Tubby Smith?

Top Bottom