Gophers Path To NCAA Tournament Bid (21 Wins)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Through Purdue game.

Wins Obtained: 16

Estimated Number of Wins Needed Prior to Big Ten Tournament for Stress-Free Selection Sunday: 5

The Big Boys -- no worse than 3-4 (1-2)
Jan. 3: @ Wisconsin (Won 59-52)
Jan. 22: @ Michigan (Lost 57-59)
Feb. 3: @ Purdue (Lost 63-73)
Feb. 6: Wisconsin
Feb. 9: @ Michigan State
Feb. 21: Michigan
March 5: Purdue

50-50s -- no worse than 3-4 (2-3)
Nov. 21: vs. Washington (Won 68-66)
Nov. 26: @ Boston College (Lost 56-68)
Dec. 2: @ Ohio State (Lost 59-79)
Dec. 5: Nebraska (Won 85-78)
Jan. 8: Maryland (Lost 67-82)
Feb. 13: @ Nebraska
March 8: @ Maryland

Likely Favored But Not A Gimme' -- no worse than 6-2 (4-1)
Nov. 12: Utah (Won 78-69)
Nov. 18: vs. Texas A&M (Won 69-64)
Nov. 30: vs. Oklahoma State (Won 83-76)
Jan. 16: @ Illinois (Lost 68-95)
Jan. 27: Iowa (Won 92-87)
Feb. 16: Indiana
Feb. 24: @ Rutgers
Feb. 28: @ Northwestern

Should Be Expected to Win -- win 'em all, go 9-0 (9-0) -- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Nov. 6: Omaha (Won 104-76)
Nov. 20: vs. Santa Clara (Won 80-66)
Dec. 8: Arkansas State (Won 72-56)
Dec. 11: North Florida (Won 80-71)
Dec. 21: North Carolina A&T (Won 86-67)
Dec. 30: Mount Saint Mary's (Won 71-53)
Jan. 12: Rutgers (Won 88-70)
Jan. 19: Penn State (Won 65-64)
Jan. 30: Illinois (Won 86-75)

Key to Season
No Worse Than 14-2 At Williams Arena: 11-1 so far

Estimated Requirements
Non-Conference: 9-2 (finished 10-1) -- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Big Ten: 12-8 (6-5 so far)

I am going to go on the record and say the gophers don’t need 21 wins to make tourney.
If the gophers win 4 more games, I think they’re in even without a big ten tourney win

Agreed that 4 probably gets us in (also the most likely scenario by my estimation). 3 might even make it in based on how those games go down. 5 would just make it a stress free Sunday!

I don’t think @Maryland is a pick em

Agreed that 4 probably gets us in (also the most likely scenario by my estimation). 3 might even make it in based on how those games go down. 5 would just make it a stress free Sunday!

3 more wins would be a losing record in the conference. Give our current ranking in indexes employing points, I don't think we'd get in with that. I also think a team like Indiana could end up with a better conference record than that if they have a good second half. Ohio State could as well.

We just have to take one game at a time. We win...we're in. We lose...we play NIT. It's the life of rooting for a perpetual bubble team.

I am going to go on the record and say the gophers don’t need 21 wins to make tourney.
If the gophers win 4 more games, I think they’re in even without a big ten tourney win

If we win 20 games with a 10-10 conference record, you would almost think we would have to be in if they take anything close to the number of teams from the conference some are predicting. However, you could have a situation like 2013. Iowa was passed over with a 9-9 conference record while they took both Minnesota and Illinois with 8-10 conference records.

If we win 20 games with a 10-10 conference record, you would almost think we would have to be in if they take anything close to the number of teams from the conference some are predicting. However, you could have a situation like 2013. Iowa was passed over with a 9-9 conference record while they took both Minnesota and Illinois with 8-10 conference records.

Do teams behind us have any notable non-con wins? I know IU bear Marquette and Ohio State way n road games against Creighton and Cincy.

Do teams behind us have any notable non-con wins? I know IU bear Marquette and Ohio State way n road games against Creighton and Cincy.

Mainly I was just working off the apparent assumption that their overall performances to this point are higher rated than us by the indexes even though they have poorer records. So, if they are one game behind us at the end of the season, they may still be valued more highly by the decision makers. They each have some quality non-conference wins. We have Washington and the Utah win is improving but that non-conference record may not be rated as high as theirs at the end of the season.

I don’t even think about that.

I think about 13-10 butler and 13-9 creighton being in bracket matrix’s first four out.

To me that doesn’t matter. I don’t think we are competing with Indiana for a spot. We aren’t competing with Indiana for seeding.
We are competing with central Florida and Butler for the last spot

To me that doesn’t matter. I don’t think we are competing with Indiana for a spot. We aren’t competing with Indiana for seeding.
We are competing with central Florida and Butler for the last spot

To me, it seems like there are six teams that are highly likely to get in from our conference -- Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa
it seems like there are four teams that are likely not under consideration -- Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, and Penn State
and four teams in the middle -- Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio State, and Nebraska

I know we aren't competing only against conference teams, but I'm hoping our resume looks better than those other three at the end of the conference season. If it does, I have a hard time seeing only six teams making the tournament when all projections have been 9 or 10 so far.

Top Bottom