PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 2-3-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck was back on the WCCO Sports Huddle on Sunday.

Sid: you had a big junior deal this week?
PJ: our first junior day of the year. kept it small, focus on our top targets. we have two big junior days. we'll have a bigger one in March. had kids in for 2020, 21, 22 classes. got a commit for 2021. we've got some commits for 2020 already. Great to see, these kids want to be Gophers.

Sid: anything new with Smith and Brooks?
PJ: both are coming back. doing great job working out. just to look at them, you'd think they're ready to go. but they're still months away from being ready. great to have competition. Have Ibrahim, Williams coming back. need to keep building on what they've learned.

Sid: happy to keep OC?
PJ: absolutely. great to keep staff together. at the same time, I want staff to fulfill their dreams. let them understand that. try to help them. Kirk went through the process. realized that this is the place he needs to be. knows how good he thinks we can be. this is our 7th year together with him as coordinator. our 9th year together in our coaching careers. I'm thankful to have him back

Sid: 5 running backs
PJ: we've got a lot. can never have too many. after next year, we lose Rodney and Shannon. always thinking ahead. have Wiley coming in. Potts, he's coming back from ACL. always looking to add weapons. RB going to be deep. that's what you want. after next year we'll lose two of the best in the B1G.

Mona: Femi-Cole transferred. going somewhere he can play. how does process work?
PJ: we're educators. try to give the best opportunity to student athletes. if that's at the U of MN, great. we meet with every kid multiple times a year. tell them here's where you fit. are you OK with your role? we want honest feedback. some of them- they want to play. that might mean they drop down a level, go to group of 5. sometimes it doesn't work out here, so we try to help them move on.

Jeff Diamond: schedule in 2019. message to team in terms of goals?
PJ: had big team meeting when players got back. lay out what they can accomplish. with our returning starters, the sky's the limit if they do what they need to do to continue to grow. talk about dealing with expectations. train expectations and pressure every day in the weight room, spring ball, summer workouts. train sense of pressure. we don't look at the schedule. our goal is to be the best team we can be. if we take care of the ball, win the explosive plays, win the missed tackle battle, then we know how to win. need to apply that every single game.

Sid: transfers?
PJ: December is for HS players to sign. we try to keep 2-4 scholarships open to bring in transfers, fill void. Treadway is on campus. Big DT from ND, will really help us in this middle, with Smith leaving for NFL and Silver not able to play due to medical reasons. have two more left. use them based on need, what we want. we'll find out in the next few days how it all plays out.

Sid: JUCO's
PJ: bring in to fill needs. not many. Schad -had to stock up at DL, bring in 7 this year. similar to what we did with OL last year. stock up heavily. Schad will come in and help right away.

Mona: Spann-Ford?
PJ: 6-8, 270, he can run. needs to continue to become a better TE. become a better blocker - he's a really good receiver. keep becoming familiar with game. wonderful person. thankful we red-shirted him. RS FR coming back this year.

Diamond: QB's. two guys coming back, Clark coming in, Kramer.
PJ: a year ago, people said "you've only got one scholarship QB." now, we've got 4 scholarship QB's. we are a developmental program. bring in HS kids, develop them for 4 years. it takes time to get caught up on numbers. we're excited about QB's. Tanner played well at the end of year. Zach did well at the start of the year. Good to have QB's with experience. And we'll have an opportunity for the young guys to compete.

Sid: 8 returning offensive starters -will they have competition for spots?
PJ: told the players that's my job as head coach. take the level of talent up every year. your job is to keep your job. had some talented players come in early. more coming here in June. we will play the best people. told players, as you continue to grow on and off the field, that matters in if you play.

Sid: people love to hear about Gopher FB. Murray's. I want to come over and see you soon.
PJ: enjoy the Super Bowl. RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Sid: you had a big junior deal this week?
PJ: our first junior day of the year. kept it small, focus on our top targets. we have two big junior days. we'll have a bigger one in March. had kids in for 2020, 21, 22 classes. got a commit for 2021. we've got some commits for 2020 already. Great to see, these kids want to be Gophers.
Who's committed for 2021?

Thanks for the update SON. I really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks, shorty. You always do a better job when Fleck is there! :)

Surprise that there was a report today! Thanks for doing this Son! Very much appreciated!

Great recap.
Thanks SON.

Once again SON you filled my Sunday with your Gopher report. After watching the BB game, I needed some good news. PBR wasn doing it. Thanks again.

Thanks SON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom