***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***!!!!!!!

The program he inherited had not been over 9-9 in conference in 6 years. Builtbadgers would call that BAD. The program Pitino took over was not in rebuild but it was not in good shape either.

And it’s exactly the same as he found it. He hasn’t done a thing to move the program forward in 6 years.

Pitino doesn’t deserve anyone’s blind faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always interesting reading some of the stuff that "fans" will post after the Gophers lose. If people actually put things in perspective, they would realize that the Gophers lost on the ROAD to the 17th-ranked team in the country. I didn't bother to look through more than 3-4 pages of the most recent posts, but in those posts, I saw no mention of Haarms for Purdue. Haarms made the difference for Purdue, today, and I wouldn't expect him to do the same the next time they meet. It will be interesting to see what the posts look like if/when the Gophers put another whooping on Wisconsin on Wednesday...I'm assuming some posters will magically disappear.

I’m not going to argue on the court performance and records, but IMO Pitino has put together a roster that is, currently, way less reliant on single individuals or specific recruiting classes. There’s way more in the cupboard for the next couple years than what was there when the last regime ended. For some reason, I’ve always felt like Pitino has had the arrow pointing north for the following year. I feel the same for next year, as well. There was a dark cloud out in front of the program in 2013.

It's always interesting reading some of the stuff that "fans" will post after the Gophers lose. If people actually put things in perspective, they would realize that the Gophers lost on the ROAD to the 17th-ranked team in the country. I didn't bother to look through more than 3-4 pages of the most recent posts, but in those posts, I saw no mention of Haarms for Purdue. Haarms made the difference for Purdue, today, and I wouldn't expect him to do the same the next time they meet. It will be interesting to see what the posts look like if/when the Gophers put another whooping on Wisconsin on Wednesday...I'm assuming some posters will magically disappear.

Yep. And had them on the ropes too. Purdue could very easily end this season in top 10 given their schedule. No shame.

And it’s exactly the same as he found it. He hasn’t done a thing to move the program forward in 6 years.

Pitino doesn’t deserve anyone’s blind faith.

Let’s see what happens this year I believe we’ll make the tourney. If it wasn’t for a suspension and a rash of injuries last year we make it for the 2nd straight year. If we make the tourney this year I don’t know how you can say Pitino hasn’t improved the program. Again let’s see what this year brings.

It's always interesting reading some of the stuff that "fans" will post after the Gophers lose. If people actually put things in perspective, they would realize that the Gophers lost on the ROAD to the 17th-ranked team in the country.

IALTO - put it in perspective. Not one poster in this thread is overreacting to this one game.

Winning this game was going to be extremely difficult.

Trying putting into perspective being out scored 39-16 the last 14 minutes of the game. There is no perspective that can justify that.

IALTO - put it in perspective. Not one poster in this thread is overreacting to this one game.

Trying putting into perspective being out scored 39-16 the last 14 minutes of the game. There is no perspective that can justify that.

Why cherry pick the last 14 minutes? We lost on the road in one of the most difficult places to play in the country. We did what Michigan State did there, lost by about 10. I’m more encouraged by what I saw today than discouraged. Call me a Pollyanna I guess.

Why cherry pick the last 14 minutes? We lost on the road in one of the most difficult places to play in the country. We did what Michigan State did there, lost by about 10. I’m more encouraged by what I saw today than discouraged. Call me a Pollyanna I guess.

Cherry pick? The game was lost in the last 14 minutes. What other minutes should we use?

You saw the same thing you have seen for the last 6 years. It’s not that they lost it’s how they lost. If that is what encourages you so be it.

We had a 22 minute period where we outscored them 47-26- what perspective can justify that?

It was a game of runs and when Purdue made their run- they hit threes and made plays, we missed the front end of one and ones twice and missed wide open shots. I never saw us stop battling or get out coached. They made more plays. It would have helped a lot if we had been better than 2-16 on three point shots. 6-16 wins the game.

Because that’s the most important part of the game, duh. They call it crunch time Holmes.

We had a 22 minute period where we outscored them 47-26- what perspective can justify that?.

No perspective can justify it when you lose the game.

We had a 22 minute period where we outscored them 47-26- what perspective can justify that?

It was a game of runs and when Purdue made their run- they hit threes and made plays, we missed the front end of one and ones twice and missed wide open shots. I never saw us stop battling or get out coached. They made more plays. It would have helped a lot if we had been better than 2-16 on three point shots. 6-16 wins the game.

Purdue, an excellent shooting team, was freezing cold if you look at the glass as half empty. Then they got a shot in the arm of energy and also hit their shots down the stretch.

As someone who has seen every home, either in person or on tv. I was not surprised that theGophers gave up the lead in the second half. I have yet to see the Gophers come out of. Timeout and run a set play that was successful. and that my friends is lack of coaching. I would imagine that Amir’s Dad is going crazy. I don’t know what the buy-out is, but if someone would start a “a go fund me page” count me in.
Plenty of set aysnoutnof time outs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Part of me believes the Gopher basketball team is just never going to be one of those perennial top 5 Big Ten Teams.
The best we can do is live through bubble year after bubble year and then lose early in the tournament.

This is not an endorsement of a coach or an ask to change.
I think it's just basketball at the U of M.

Let’s see what happens this year I believe we’ll make the tourney. If it wasn’t for a suspension and a rash of injuries last year we make it for the 2nd straight year. If we make the tourney this year I don’t know how you can say Pitino hasn’t improved the program. Again let’s see what this year brings.

I can say the roster is in far better shape now but i can not take excuses about injuries, in 6 years everyone has them. I still see that awful conference record. Iam glad we moved on from Tubby but after 6 years he had 3 NCAA's and a much better conference record. I am proud of the fight today but 40 points in 14 minutes is not ever going to work. I see the fans frustration and the acceptance of less than mediocre record. I stand by the team to the end. Cheer hard every game. We did need to hire a younger coach after Tubby but there is no denying the guys who would have done far better. I see both sides. Until this program plays lockdown defense we will not win the conference . I have studied this for decades. Unless you recruit like blue bloods you will not pile up victories. Plus, it is not like the offense is very good either. The non blue bloods that built conference champions and sustained success did it with elite defense. Not every ounce of that is on Pitino, the players have to commit to it and the coach has to create the culture. Then when your winning more, you attract better players. Other coaches point to our lack of success, Pitino never sniffing the top and present the success their own program has. We all want more winning and it is very difficult but you demand excellence on defense or kids do not play. Rob Jeter has talked about that culture. You recruit to that dedication to that kind of hard work, discipline and mental and physical toughness. That becomes your identity. Otherwise your stuck living in that hope of a hot shooting night and a poor shooting night by the other team and that is a plan of failure. Look at the non blue blood programs and you will see. Obviously super hard to do otherwise everyone would do it. Finding great coaches is the most critical piece and then that guy can never compromise on character.

The only issue today was the rotation that made absolutely no sense. Game started and starters brought absolutely nothing. Jelly comes in and easy bucket after easy bucket and oturo very good. 2nd half starts starters off to great start build big lead and then here comes hurt and jelly. Oturo has not been stopped he turns ankle and then is fine but sits forever to get him in the game.

Please someone tell me what Mcbrayer does for this team? This year? Great kid does nothing well. Time to put best players on the floor to win games let’s go!

The only issue today was the rotation that made absolutely no sense. Game started and starters brought absolutely nothing. Jelly comes in and easy bucket after easy bucket and oturo very good. 2nd half starts starters off to great start build big lead and then here comes hurt and jelly. Oturo has not been stopped he turns ankle and then is fine but sits forever to get him in the game.

I almost always side with Pitino on who he plays and when he plays them because he has all the information i do not but if Daniel was healthy he needed to be in the game sooner. I also think against quicker teams i would use IW more often but he does need to have better shot selection and at his size to get up and under his man defensively by being low and wide. I have zero doubt Pitino stresses this. Not sure why that message does not stick. I would rarely play Hurt and did love how he used Stull against UW because he could match in situation.

Please someone tell me what Mcbrayer does for this team? This year? Great kid does nothing well. Time to put best players on the floor to win games let’s go!

I get what your saying about mcbrayer because every road game we have a key guy as a no show, but I'm curious who you think is better who's gonna just take his minutes and be more effective and be more consistent. At this point of the season I would say NOBODY! Nobody is consistent! I know your frustrated, but your gonna have to deal with it!

I'm concerned with the half court offense, when the other team gets hot and starts making baskets the offense stalls, when they get rebounds and can get out and run they do okay, even if the recruits are better suited for a fast break type of offense it doesn't negate the need for disciplined sets that generate good shots.

We can all blame Pitino for the loss, but let's be honest the thing that killed us is something we have known at some point will kill us and that is we missed 2 one and ones to increase the lead and didnt. When things were going bad we had a chance to stop momentum and by missing front ends we just gave them momentum.

We can all blame Pitino for the loss, but let's be honest the thing that killed us is something we have known at some point will kill us and that is we missed 2 one and ones to increase the lead and didnt. When things were going bad we had a chance to stop momentum and by missing front ends we just gave them momentum.

That is when defense digs in and instead of being outscored 20-2 it is more like 10-2.

That is when defense digs in and instead of being outscored 20-2 it is more like 10-2.

I agree. Everyone in basketball will make a run, but the key is to weather the storm. Yes your right it's all about defense!

Like much of what i saw but once again giving up 46 in a half is a recipe for losing. Still do not have a single identity to hang our hat on in year 6.

Could not agree more.

I coach a different sport. It's still the same. You have to have an identity.

Every team that is successful in the long term has one.

What is ours?

If you can't answer that after six years, then we have a problem.

Didnt see the game but from what I can pick up Gabe did really well guarding Edwards. Nice that he can play well defensively when struggling on offense. Sounds like Coffey also did well on Cline. Apparently Dupree not so much, he doesnt seem the same player as before injury.

Enjoyable game...until it wasn't. It was fun while it lasted, but when they started to miss front ends of 1-and-1s, their confidence tanked, and they couldn't do much right after that. Those are the things that have hurt them the most this year: free throw shooting and horrific stretches within games. Purdue is way too good a team for the Gophers to exhibit both of those elements and still expect to win.

Toward the end you could see that Pitino was pissed. Just guessing, but I think part of the reason is that he knew he could have played his hand out differently to keep his team in the game, and he screwed up. In particular, he should have tried to nip the Purdue rally by calling a timeout earlier, when it became apparent they were making their run. I was surprised at the time that he had such a sluggish trigger finger on calling a timeout and thought it was a potentially fatal tactical error as it was occurring.

This one hurts because you had a double digit lead on the road in an extremely tough environment, you're up 13 with 14 minutes to play. You miss the front end of a 1-and-1 twice, IW's wasn't even close. Missing shots affected the defensive intensity, which has happened multiple times this season.

Gabe was tremendous on D against Edwards, but 0-5 from 3-land. Kalscheur, Murphy and Dupree were a combined 5-of-19 from the field. Add in IW and it's 6-25. Some of it was shot selection, other times shots just didn't go in. But Murphy has to be more consistent offensively, and we got killed on the boards at crucial times because of missed box outs.

It would be one thing if we trailed most of the game but kept it at arms length. But you had a 13-point lead and melted down because of missed shots. A huge missed opportunity. Interestingly, Seth Davis has the Gophers as "Almost Famous" in his weekly top 25 poll, the equivalent of receiving votes. It would be huge to win 3 of the next 4, you're not winning at Sparty. You've got Wisconsin at home, Nebraska is without one of its best players with an ACL (Copeland) and Indiana is having a weird season. Can't do anything about Purdue now, other than get it back when they come to The Barn next month.

Enjoyable game...until it wasn't. It was fun while it lasted, but when they started to miss front ends of 1-and-1s, their confidence tanked, and they couldn't do much right after that. Those are the things that have hurt them the most this year: free throw shooting and horrific stretches within games. Purdue is way too good a team for the Gophers to exhibit both of those elements and still expect to win.

Toward the end you could see that Pitino was pissed. Just guessing, but I think part of the reason is that he knew he could have played his hand out differently to keep his team in the game, and he screwed up. In particular, he should have tried to nip the Purdue rally by calling a timeout earlier, when it became apparent they were making their run. I was surprised at the time that he had such a sluggish trigger finger on calling a timeout and thought it was a potentially fatal tactical error as it was occurring.

What was this sequence? Looks to me like he saw it right away.

13:46 Matt Haarms made Layup. Assisted by Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:31 Foul on Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:15 Foul on Eric Hunter Jr.. 47 - 36
13:15 Isaiah Washington missed Free Throw. 47 - 36
13:15 Matt Haarms Defensive Rebound. 47 - 36
13:00 Carsen Edwards made Three Point Jumper. 47 - 39
play
12:52 Minnesota Timeout 47 - 39

Following the time out, we continued to miss shots and free throws. There was a TV time out in the 11 minute range and then we called another time out with 8:43 left

Last edited:

What was this sequence?

13:46Matt Haarms made Layup. Assisted by Carsen Edwards.47 - 36
13:31Foul on Carsen Edwards.47 - 36
13:15Foul on Eric Hunter Jr..47 - 36
13:15Isaiah Washington missed Free Throw.47 - 36
13:15Matt Haarms Defensive Rebound.47 - 36
13:00Carsen Edwards made Three Point Jumper.47 - 39
play
12:52Minnesota Timeout47 - 39

Don’t forget the media timeout a minute later, too! Pitino absolutely used the clock and timeouts to try to kill momentum. Just didn’t work. And before the response is that he sucks out of time outs, note the prolonged success after his early timeout in the first half!

What was this sequence?

13:46 Matt Haarms made Layup. Assisted by Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:31 Foul on Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:15 Foul on Eric Hunter Jr.. 47 - 36
13:15 Isaiah Washington missed Free Throw. 47 - 36
13:15 Matt Haarms Defensive Rebound. 47 - 36
13:00 Carsen Edwards made Three Point Jumper. 47 - 39
play
12:52 Minnesota Timeout 47 - 39

Thanks I've been thinking that the timeout seemed appropriate. We gave up a 5-0 run before a timeout. If he is going to call a timeout on every 5-0 run we give up, people will be complaining about not having timeouts for later in the game.

Surprised Painter isn't getting ripped for not calling timeouts when we made a run.

Top Bottom