***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***!!!!!!!

I agree. Pitino has not done a good job of roster construction. Lacks either front court or back court depth...not to mention the IW saga. If he has so little trust in IW he needed to get someone to come in and play. Not pray Carr got deemed eligible.

Agree.
And if he loses his job at the end of the season, it will be mainly due to his mishandling of the point guard position in his roster construction.

Rather than recruit a point guard we got stull and a guy who can’t play.

Haarms is the biggest spaz i've ever seen in the Big Ten. God, that kid is annoying.

He's definitely an AJ Pierzinsky type (if he's on the other team you hate him, if he's on your team, you hate him less.).

Mcbrayer is a very good defender

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agree.
And if he loses his job at the end of the season, it will be mainly due to his mishandling of the point guard position in his roster construction.

Right. I like IW and would let him play a lot more. Live or die with it. What is currently happening is not working. Maybe Carr will lead us to three consecutive final fours but next years roster already has some huge question marks such as front court starters and reserves. He needs to address these or else we’re in a different kind of predictament.

Clearly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me a must win game is lose and you’re done.
While beating Wisconsin may be the 4th or 5th easiest game in the last 9, I don’t think it is a must win.

Beat Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, and one more of the other 5 and you are easily in the tourney.

Not saying those four are locks to win. But the fact we need 5 wins to make the tourney probably doesn’t make Wisconsin a must win in my mind. Would certainly help and give me some confidence.

For the record, I think we probably go 3-6 the last 9

He's definitely an AJ Pierzinsky type (if he's on the other team you hate him, if he's on your team, you hate him less.).

I can't wait for Gabe to really turn into that player for us. Other teams will be cursing his name for years to come. We really missed his big "charge" as a game changer today. Last few big W he's had at least one game changing play like that on defense. Hard to keep up with a player of Edwards' caliber all game long.

Always frustrating to lose. With that being said, I'm not too concerned. I think we will rebound and play well at home against Wisconsin. There is a reason Purdue never loses at home, its a brutal place to play. I am actully suprised we didn't lose by more, we could have easily gone into Illinois collapse mode and lose by much much more.

Oturu played really well, I love that he has grown this year. Coffey had another nice game as well. We needed more out of seniors tho. Murphy didn't play well and I wasn't even sure if Dupree made the trip. This is a learning experience for our younger players. The seasonj is far from over. We are still 6-5 and have a good shot to improve to 7-5 after Wednesday. If we can steal one @Nebraska or vs Michigan I like our shot to make the tourney. I think we will beat IU at home and I am actually more confident after this game that we can beat Purdue at home on Senior night.

Agree.

Pitino recruited a ton of PG's last year. He just didn't land any.

I wouldn't say he "mishandled" the position, he struck out on the position.

Right. I like IW and would let him play a lot more. Live or die with it. What is currently happening is not working. Maybe Carr will lead us to three consecutive final fours but next years roster already has some huge question marks such as front court starters and reserves. He needs to address these or else we’re in a different kind of predictament.

Sight unseen, I would like him to bring in another guard.
I don’t think Washington is good enough to be the PG on a top 3 big ten team.
If Carr is better, Washington is an okay backup.

That’s his job.
Strike out on some good point guards so then forget about the position?

If his defense is that he isn’t a good enough recruiter to recruit a starting PG, that’s a pretty bad defense.

We literally don’t start a point guard because the position is so weak right now

I can't wait for Gabe to really turn into that player for us. Other teams will be cursing his name for years to come. We really missed his big "charge" as a game changer today. Last few big W he's had at least one game changing play like that on defense. Hard to keep up with a player of Edwards' caliber all game long.

I don't think Gabe will ever be a guy that other teams fans hate. Why would they hate him?

He's nothing like Haarms, Davison, Grayson Allen, Macura etc.

Carr?? And the other kid.....cant remember his name now

Oh. Huh. Interesting that he rarely defends really good players. I’d put him behind Gabe and Coffey defensively.
Of course...doesnt mean he isn't a good defender. His length is quite good

How does a "passive player" lead the conference in rebounding? How is that possible? Serious question.

Just because he's good at something doesn't mean he's not passive. Maybe my "passive" is different from your "passive" but I just don't see Murphy as a leader. Sure he may even seem to get aggressive at times, but does he take over a ball game when the team needs it? Does he calm them down when they are running around like headless chickens? Again, we lack leaders... everyone is just hoping someone else takes the game over.

I don't think Gabe will ever be a guy that other teams fans hate. Why would they hate him?

He's nothing like Haarms, Davison, Grayson Allen, Macura etc.

That's because he's on our team! He's certainly got a flop to his game that we've been missing for years. Those are the type of players that WIN games.

Not even close. They lost to a soon to be top ten team on the road that is now 51-2 in their last 53 home games.

I think it’s a collapse regardless if it’s a against a team that 51-2 at home and maybe a top 10 team.

Always frustrating to lose. With that being said, I'm not too concerned. I think we will rebound and play well at home against Wisconsin. There is a reason Purdue never loses at home, its a brutal place to play. I am actully suprised we didn't lose by more, we could have easily gone into Illinois collapse mode and lose by much much more.

Oturu played really well, I love that he has grown this year. Coffey had another nice game as well. We needed more out of seniors tho. Murphy didn't play well and I wasn't even sure if Dupree made the trip. This is a learning experience for our younger players. The seasonj is far from over. We are still 6-5 and have a good shot to improve to 7-5 after Wednesday. If we can steal one @Nebraska or vs Michigan I like our shot to make the tourney. I think we will beat IU at home and I am actually more confident after this game that we can beat Purdue at home on Senior night.
I'm with you. Kalscheur did well on Edwards. There's nothing about today's game that makes me think we can't do better next game.

That’s his job.
Strike out on some good point guards so then forget about the position?

If his defense is that he isn’t a good enough recruiter to recruit a starting PG, that’s a pretty bad defense.

We literally don’t start a point guard because the position is so weak right now

I would say he is a good enough recruiter to land a starting PG as Washington was a top 60 recruit and Mason was first team all big ten. Unfortunately IW hasn't turned out to be the player we'd thought he'd be.

Beat Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, and one more of the other 5 and you are easily in the tourney.

For the record, I think we probably go 3-6 the last 9

3 of those games are on the road. Winning road games in this conference is hard to come by. Needing all three is near impossible.

They need to win Wednesday.

If they do go 3-6 the final nine games and miss the tourney the Pitino era at Minnesota should be over.

I would say he is a good enough recruiter to land a starting PG as Washington was a top 60 recruit and Mason was first team all big ten. Unfortunately IW hasn't turned out to be the player we'd thought he'd be.

Year 6 and we don’t have a point guard that is any good.
We don’t have any backup point guard at all.

Think about that. We don’t even have to eligible point guards on the roster

I think it’s a collapse regardless if it’s a against a team that 51-2 at home and maybe a top 10 team.

Would you have preferred we be be losing by 3-5 points the whole game?

I'm more encouraged that we were able to acheive 13 point second half lead at a top 20 team than I am discouraged by the fact that we lost that lead.

3 of those games are on the road. Winning road games in this conference is hard to come by. Needing all three is near impossible.

They need to win Wednesday.

If they do go 3-6 the final nine games and miss the tourney the Pitino era at Minnesota should be over.

Which is why I agreed it’d be really good to beat Wisconsin, but I wouldn’t call it a must win.
Lose to Wisconsin and Michigan state...Nebraska becomes the first must win game of the season.

Year 6 and we don’t have a point guard that is any good.
We don’t have any backup point guard at all.

Think about that. We don’t even have to eligible point guards on the roster

And for his first 5 years here, we did have a quality PG and will have one if not two next year as well.

There are four quadrants in sports.

1. Nice Guys who are Winners.
2. Bad Guys who are Winners.
3. Bad Guys who are Losers.
4. Nice Guys who are Losers.

Gopher sports seem to think that if they linger long enough in Quadrant 4 that they will magically rise up to Quadrant 1.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Would you have preferred we be be losing by 3-5 points the whole game?

I'm more encouraged that we were able to acheive 13 point second half lead at a top 20 team than I am discouraged by the fact that we lost that lead.

I agree with this.
With zero guard play and zero ability to get into a half court offense in pressure situations, blowing a lead isn’t that surprising...especially in the road against a good team.

And for his first 5 years here, we did have a quality PG and will have one if not two next year as well.

I believe we have zero for next year.
Last year we had one who was hurt with no capable backup, you saw how the season went.

Years 4 I agree with you. Year 1-3 it is hard to give a coach credit or blame for anything.

Top Bottom