***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***!!!!!!!

Which is why I agreed it’d be really good to beat Wisconsin, but I wouldn’t call it a must win.
Lose to Wisconsin and Michigan state...Nebraska becomes the first must win game of the season.

Best Wisconsin and you don’t put yourself in a must win situation on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with many on here that WI might not be a "Must Win" but it basically is with the way the schedule unfolds after.

To some of the others about to jump off the ledge and calling for Pitino's head after one game, calm down. We just lost to Purdue. On the road. Purdue is tied for first place in the B10. Purdue is likely the best team in the conference. Purdue has won 7 straight. They are 52-2 at home in the last two years. Carsen Edwards is easily the best player in the B10.

Have some perspective on the season and understand that we still control our own destiny and if we win 2 out of the next 3(which is very possible imo) we are in the driver's spot for a tourney birth.

Like much of what i saw but once again giving up 46 in a half is a recipe for losing. Still do not have a single identity to hang our hat on in year 6.

Frustrating loss because they looked for a minute or two there that belonged with the one of the best in the Big10. Missing the two front ends hurt a lot and not having any outside shooting killed them. It was fun to watch Oturu today on the bright side.

I agree with many on here that WI might not be a "Must Win" but it basically is with the way the schedule unfolds after.

To some of the others about to jump off the ledge and calling for Pitino's head after one game, calm down. We just lost to Purdue. On the road. Purdue is tied for first place in the B10. Purdue is likely the best team in the conference. Purdue has won 7 straight. They are 52-2 at home in the last two years. Carsen Edwards is easily the best player in the B10.

Have some perspective on the season and understand that we still control our own destiny and if we win 2 out of the next 3(which is very possible imo) we are in the driver's spot for a tourney birth.

Some of us want a conference title or fighting for a chance at it and today that took a really big hit. In 6 years we have never come close to challenging at the top of our own conference. Today was mostly well played but giving up 40 in 14 minutes is not acceptable and explains our below top 60 defense.

Lots of things one can point to, but as has been the case with other losses, three-point shooting was our doom. We MUST recruit better shooters. Plain and simple.

Did you complain when they were making shots and up 13? No. Same offense. You have to be consistent, just like you want from players.

during the run they were getting out and running off rebounds, transition buckets, IW probing and putting pressure on defense, getting offensive boards.

stagnant periods during purdue 2nd half run was all conservative weave and stall, trying not to turn the ball over and playing passively, guys tentative to take a shot or make a play, allowing purdue to play defense aggressively resulting in traps rather than exploiting their aggressiveness, not getting being aggressive on the boards

bottom line you can't go into a place like Mackey arena and play not to lose. When the other team is on a huge run and you try to stem the tide by spending half your offensive set handing the ball off, and everybody on the team is afraid to take a shot, that's on the coach.

Some of us want a conference title or fighting for a chance at it and today that took a really big hit. In 6 years we have never come close to challenging at the top of our own conference. Today was mostly well played but giving up 40 in 14 minutes is not acceptable and explains our below top 60 defense.

Right, and the rest of us don't. You do realize this is a Gopher fan board, right? I agree, that run was unacceptable. But I thought our defense on that run wasn' the killer. It was the inability to get a damn rebound. When we are constantly giving up second chance opportunities, it makes our on ball defense look bad because players are running around much longer.

Lots of things one can point to, but as has been the case with other losses, three-point shooting was our doom. We MUST recruit better shooters. Plain and simple.

True about shooters but great teams often survive poor shooting nights by playing great defense.

Being up 47-34 with 14 minutes to play at Purdue was fantastic. Richard Pitino should get credit for that. Getting outscored 21-2 over the next 6 minutes of game time was horrific. Richard Pitino should take criticism for that. What is concerning to me is this EXACT thing happened in our last road game at Michigan down to the opposition having an uncharacteristically bad shooting day. Against Michigan they went from up 36-29 to down 52-39 a run of of 23-3. If you throw in the Iowa meltdown in which they at least avoided losing, that's 3 out of the last 4 games where things went completely off the rails in a negative game changing manner.

On the positive side the team has shown it can compete with 3 of the top 4 in the B1G holding second half leads against Maryland, Michigan,and Purdue. Beating Wisconsin at home is mandatory and then we can see if they can play with the one top team they haven't played yet in East Lansing.

Maybe not calling for his head that is a bit hyperbolic, but plenty of posts that imply we need to move on.

I implied the Gophers should move on from Pitino if they don’t make the tourney.

After 6 years I don’t think that’s an unreasonable take by anyone who makes it.

I implied the Gophers should move on from Pitino if they don’t make the tourney.

After 6 years I don’t think that’s an unreasonable take by anyone who makes it.

Agree 100%. Even if they make the tourney, if we have a shot at Muss I still want to move on. If we make the tourney and have no shot at a top coaching candidate, I run it back with Pitino again.

True about shooters but great teams often survive poor shooting nights by playing great defense.
And having players who scrap after re pounds rather that run back on defense as soon as the ball leaves the shooter's hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Give me one logical reason we don't need to move.

Thanks!

We are still in a good spot to make the tourney. If we take care of business at home and steal one on the road with Nebraska, Rutgers or NW we are a lock.

I don't think I am being over the top. I have said all year long that if we don't make the tourney, Pitino needs to be gone. I just don't think today's outcome is indicative of the rest of the season. I have optimism that we will end up in the field come tourney time. Just my opinion, time will tell.

Would you have preferred we be be losing by 3-5 points the whole game?

I'm more encouraged that we were able to acheive 13 point second half lead at a top 20 team than I am discouraged by the fact that we lost that lead.

Exactly how I felt about the game too.

We are still in a good spot to make the tourney. If we take care of business at home and steal one on the road with Nebraska, Rutgers or NW we are a lock.

I don't think I am being over the top. I have said all year long that if we don't make the tourney, Pitino needs to be gone. I just don't think today's outcome is indicative of the rest of the season. I have optimism that we will end up in the field come tourney time. Just my opinion, time will tell.

If we make the tourney and get Middle Tennessee'd. Then what?

If we sneak in and do nothing, what's the difference.

I've just seen enough in 6 years. Pitino is not the answer.

All depends on who we can get. If we make the tournament and lose in the first round, I am okay moving on if we get a good candidate like Muss.

Pitino ain’t going anywhere

All depends on who we can get. If we make the tournament and lose in the first round, I am okay moving on if we get a good candidate like Muss.

Agree. That is the issue. You have to know that your getting a upgrade. Otherwise you get another middle of the road or worse coach. Someone months ago accurately how rare great coaches are to find.

Best Wisconsin and you don’t put yourself in a must win situation on the road.

Pitino is 11-39 on the road in the Big10. A must win on the road will be a death sentence.

Pitino is 11-39 on the road in the Big10. A must win on the road will be a death sentence.

It was only must win if we hoped to fight for a conference title. 37-64 IN Big 10 games is atrocious. He is fortunate that his fan base just requires getting into the tourney and advancing to the sweet 16 this year to think he is a coaching superstar. This job has never demanded excellence.

Only a death sentence 78% of the time ;)

I agree. Road games are hard in this conference. Especially when you’re not that good (Gophers) however, if I’m playing road games I’d like them to be @ Nebraska, @ Northwestern and @ Rutgers if I’m gonna need to win a couple.

Then we will look much more attractive to the 2020 and 2021 Minnesota kids even if we lose in the first round. Thats the difference.

I mean if you're using that logic then you can say that about anything short of a national title. Whats the difference between losing the final four and the NIT? Neither is as good as a national title.

It was only must win if we hoped to fight for a conference title. 37-64 IN Big 10 games is atrocious. He is fortunate that his fan base just requires getting into the tourney and advancing to the sweet 16 this year to think he is a coaching superstar. This job has never demanded excellence.

Your hyperbole is astounding sometimes.

Who has said he is a coaching superstar if he makes the tournament and advances to the Sweet 16? I’ve not read one post saying he is a coaching superstar. Keeping your job does not mean fans think you’re a superstar. But I’d be remiss if I thought he should be fired if he makes the Sweet 16.

Your hyperbole is astounding sometimes.

Who has said he is a coaching superstar if he makes the tournament and advances to the Sweet 16? I’ve not read one post saying he is a coaching superstar. Keeping your job does not mean fans think you’re a superstar. But I’d be remiss if I thought he should be fired if he makes the Sweet 16.
I also do not think he should be fired but there will be posts about what a great coach he is. Last time we made the tourney there were posts proclaiming that !

His fan base can’t require anything. Nothing. Zip.

You, sir, are a troll. Coaching superstar after getting to the 16?

No one said anything of the sort. Except you builbadger

Top Bottom