***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***!!!!!!!

If I don't recall, please correct me. Did we ever try to go zone within that stretch to shake them up a bit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This one hurts because you had a double digit lead on the road in an extremely tough environment, you're up 13 with 14 minutes to play. You miss the front end of a 1-and-1 twice, IW's wasn't even close. Missing shots affected the defensive intensity, which has happened multiple times this season.

Gabe was tremendous on D against Edwards, but 0-5 from 3-land. Kalscheur, Murphy and Dupree were a combined 5-of-19 from the field. Add in IW and it's 6-25. Some of it was shot selection, other times shots just didn't go in. But Murphy has to be more consistent offensively, and we got killed on the boards at crucial times because of missed box outs.

It would be one thing if we trailed most of the game but kept it at arms length. But you had a 13-point lead and melted down because of missed shots. A huge missed opportunity. Interestingly, Seth Davis has the Gophers as "Almost Famous" in his weekly top 25 poll, the equivalent of receiving votes. It would be huge to win 3 of the next 4, you're not winning at Sparty. You've got Wisconsin at home, Nebraska is without one of its best players with an ACL (Copeland) and Indiana is having a weird season. Can't do anything about Purdue now, other than get it back when they come to The Barn next month.

This is a game where Murphy needed to realize that they were just not going to let him score. Instead of ramming his way inside against their size, he needed to either take some jumpers from 12 feet that they were giving him, or work his way in, draw the coverage and pass back out. Instead he had the 5 turnovers because he was determined to go to work the way he always does. There are a half dozen teams that just are not going to let him work inside and Purdue is one of them. MSU won't let him, Wisconsin didn't and won't, OSU stopped him and Rutgers did as well.

If I don't recall, please correct me. Did we ever try to go zone within that stretch to shake them up a bit?

With Carson and Cline, I think they would have loved to see a zone. Those two guys are lights out.

I thought the Gophers played a solid game. Oturu, IW and Coffee played phenomenal. IW can beat people off the dribble and when he is on, makes the game easier for everyone offensively. When it mattered, D could not keep Edwards in front of them.

With Carson and Cline, I think they would have loved to see a zone. Those two guys are lights out.
While I completely understand that, sometimes going to a zone is enough to get an offense out of sync. An out of sync offense doesn't get the shots that they want. And really, it couldn't have been much worse.

Going on a long memory, but maybe too many offensive sets for Murphy. Murphy cannot drive to the lane when guys are playing off him. He has to be confident in his mid-range game. The defense just waits for him. If we are going to run sets for him with no mid-range shots, he needs to kick it when he feels the defender or we need some great cuts off his ability to hold the ball in the low post. He has been scouted well, so he needs to respond to what is now common knowledge. He has been a rare talent for this program -- just needs to adjust a little (just like defenses have adjusted to him).

Gophs have to find a way from being a "next year" program to a "this year" program. Next year is a vicious trap that is often perpetual. Who is this team? I have seen some good moments, but cannot quite put my finger on the master plan. There is hope for Pitino because I think he is guy who is learning, but he needs to find a way to put it all together. Everyone can come up with excuses, but it is nice when you simply do not need them. Just need to problem solve solve for what you have, what you expect and what you want going forward.

Going on a long memory, but maybe too many offensive sets for Murphy. Murphy cannot drive to the lane when guys are playing off him. He has to be confident in his mid-range game. The defense just waits for him. If we are going to run sets for him with no mid-range shots, he needs to kick it when he feels the defender or we need some great cuts off his ability to hold the ball in the low post. He has been scouted well, so he needs to respond to what is now common knowledge. He has been a rare talent for this program -- just needs to adjust a little (just like defenses have adjusted to him).

I’ve been traveling a lot internationally and I haven’t had the opportunity to watch many games. It seems Murphy never gets the ball in the actual post. He always seems to sag toward the 3 point line, get the ball, and tries to shake n bake his defender. It either results in a lot of unecessary charges or turnovers because he’s not Hakeem Olajuwon with exceptional footwork.

This one hurts because you had a double digit lead on the road in an extremely tough environment, you're up 13 with 14 minutes to play. You miss the front end of a 1-and-1 twice, IW's wasn't even close. Missing shots affected the defensive intensity, which has happened multiple times this season.

Curry missed the front end of the next one and one as well. Those killed the momentum for the Gophs. Free throw shooting continues to hurt.

What was this sequence? Looks to me like he saw it right away.

13:46 Matt Haarms made Layup. Assisted by Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:31 Foul on Carsen Edwards. 47 - 36
13:15 Foul on Eric Hunter Jr.. 47 - 36
13:15 Isaiah Washington missed Free Throw. 47 - 36
13:15 Matt Haarms Defensive Rebound. 47 - 36
13:00 Carsen Edwards made Three Point Jumper. 47 - 39
play
12:52 Minnesota Timeout 47 - 39

Following the time out, we continued to miss shots and free throws. There was a TV time out in the 11 minute range and then we called another time out with 8:43 left

Then it WAS really the first chance they had to call TO after IW's missed FT. I thought it felt kinda late in the moment, but I can't fault it at all.

Please someone tell me what Mcbrayer does for this team? This year? Great kid does nothing well. Time to put best players on the floor to win games let’s go!

High major player [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free throws win ball games and keep you in games until a stagnant offense wakes up. You could sense that 8 point swing was the beginning of the end. It was an avalanche after that. If we can’t shoot a proper free throw I’d rather we go “Hoosiers” style like Ollie. (Granny)

Gophers shot 80% from the FT line, sure missed front end of some 1 and 1s, but FT shooting is not why they lost in my opinion. They gave up 46 points in the second half, they took a couple of punches and did not counter.

Gophers shot 80% from the FT line, sure missed front end of some 1 and 1s, but FT shooting is not why they lost in my opinion. They gave up 46 points in the second half, they took a couple of punches and did not counter.

Ruined the momentum not the game.

50-50 chance to beat them at Williams?

I can say the roster is in far better shape now but i can not take excuses about injuries...

I would agree in about 99% of those situations. Last year got nuked with injuries to Curry, Coffey and 'Pre. Add the Lynch "situation" and Mason stating that he may have preferred to have surgery and come back 100% this year, and I don't think there is a coach who has ever existed that could cobble together an acceptable season out of that mess.

Free throws win ball games and keep you in games until a stagnant offense wakes up. You could sense that 8 point swing was the beginning of the end. It was an avalanche after that. If we can’t shoot a proper free throw I’d rather we go “Hoosiers” style like Ollie. (Granny)

So you think 1/2 the big ten should shoot free throws like Rick Barry?

The Gophers are 8th in the B1G in FT % (.682%). We are 2nd in attempts with 26.0 (26.1 Iowa) and 2nd in free throws MADE per game with 17.7/gm (19.6 Iowa)

FWIW, wisconsin is 12th in %, last in attempts and last in FTs made per game.

Not saying wisconsin is bad or anything, but its surprising they are last in attempts with a high usage post player who is a terrible free throw shooter. You would think he could get them into the middle of the conference in attempts but he clearly does not.

Top Bottom