***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***!!!!!!!

Then we will look much more attractive to the 2020 and 2021 Minnesota kids even if we lose in the first round. Thats the difference.

I mean if you're using that logic then you can say that about anything short of a national title. Whats the difference between losing the final four and the NIT? Neither is as good as a national title.

I'm talking about winning once NCAA game in six years. It's asking a lot I know.

You know what, using your logic, we aren't going to win the big 10 title............might as well finish last in the big 10........I mean what's the difference.

You are right. The bobby Jackson final 4 would be no different than losing your first game.

I will let this pass, because you are obviously drinking before the Super bowl. So no biggie!

To me a must win game is lose and you’re done.
While beating Wisconsin may be the 4th or 5th easiest game in the last 9, I don’t think it is a must win.

Beat Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, and one more of the other 5 and you are easily in the tourney.

Not saying those four are locks to win. But the fact we need 5 wins to make the tourney probably doesn’t make Wisconsin a must win in my mind. Would certainly help and give me some confidence.

For the record, I think we probably go 3-6 the last 9

I predicted 5-9 after the 1st Illinois game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also do not think he should be fired but there will be posts about what a great coach he is. Last time we made the tourney there were posts proclaiming that !

If he makes the sweet 16 that is far different than making the tourney. If he makes the sweet 16, I’d be really damn excited. I think the odds of that are much lower than the gophers missing the tournament.

As far as coaching, pitino is OK. Has had some nice recruits that have worked out great. The best players usually win. He needs better players to be a better coach.

I'm talking about winning once NCAA game in six years. It's asking a lot I know.

You know what, using your logic, we aren't going to win the big 10 title............might as well finish last in the big 10........I mean what's the difference.

You are right. The bobby Jackson final 4 would be no different than losing your first game.

I will let this pass, because you are obviously drinking before the Super bowl. So no biggie!

That was your logic, not mine.

I'm making the point that there is a big difference between making the NCAA tourney and finishing in the last four out even if you lose in the first round.

If he makes the sweet 16 that is far different than making the tourney. If he makes the sweet 16, I’d be really damn excited. I think the odds of that are much lower than the gophers missing the tournament.

As far as coaching, pitino is OK. Has had some nice recruits that have worked out great. The best players usually win. He needs better players to be a better coach.
He needed and still needs to install some a identity into the program and it damn well better be defense in a power 6 conference. This is my opinion just like it is my opinion that 37-64 is not ok coaching. Still not giving up but it is very disappointing to see him trot out mediocre defenses all but one year.

That was your logic, not mine.

I'm making the point that there is a big difference between making the NCAA tourney and finishing in the last four out even if you lose in the first round.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pitino ain’t going anywhere

As someone who has seen every home, either in person or on tv. I was not surprised that theGophers gave up the lead in the second half. I have yet to see the Gophers come out of. Timeout and run a set play that was successful. and that my friends is lack of coaching. I would imagine that Amir’s Dad is going crazy. I don’t know what the buy-out is, but if someone would start a “a go fund me page” count me in.

As someone who has seen every home, either in person or on tv. I was not surprised that theGophers gave up the lead in the second half. I have yet to see the Gophers come out of. Timeout and run a set play that was successful. and that my friends is lack of coaching. I would imagine that Amir’s Dad is going crazy. I don’t know what the buy-out is, but if someone would start a “a go fund me page” count me in.

3 seconds to go side out of bounds, we throw the ball away from the hoop to Isaiah and shoot a 40 footer, earlier we stole the tubby smith out of bounds play, 2 guys run to where you cant catch a pass, then chuck it out to half court.

Good coaches have these things covered with actual plays that put their team in position to succeed.

Pitino was severly out coached in the 2nd half. and an additional play call or two could have won the Michigan game.

Horse ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to tip my hat to players for a all out effort. Bravo.

Interesting that Purdue is 0-3 against the ACC this year !

During Turdues run we called a TO. Ran a screen for Gabe got an open 3, just didn’t knock it down. Are you saying that’s not the right play call?

Turning point for me was Murphy getting an offensive rebound near the FT line and not kicking it out for a wide open 3. He drove, got blocked and led to an easy bucket on the other end. Possible 5 point swing at a critical time.

During Turdues run we called a TO. Ran a screen for Gabe got an open 3, just didn’t knock it down. Are you saying that’s not the right play call?

Turning point for me was Murphy getting an offensive rebound near the FT line and not kicking it out for a wide open 3. He drove, got blocked and led to an easy bucket on the other end. Possible 5 point swing at a critical time.

Ran a great play. Hard to believe no one blames our mediocre defense.

Gotta have more than 2 points and 2 assists from your "high major" [emoji6] senior if we are going to win games like these.

Good effort today. Sure things could have turned out different if a couple shots had dropped. Every game I see little improvements. I liked the play of IW and Oturu today.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I was unable to watch the game live today so just finished watching. This game was in no way on the coach. We played hard. We got a poor game from Murphy (5 turnovers)and nothing out of McBrayer, Kalscheur or Curry. To win at Purdue you are going to need everyone on your team clicking. When we got ahead by 13 Purdue had guys that stepped up and made plays. It started with Edwards hitting a 3 with a hand in his face, then a drive, then Cline pitches a couple of threes and the lead is gone. During that same time we had as good or better looks but didn't make the plays. If there is anything to fault Pitino here, it's that he still needs better players to go into a place like Purdue and expect to win.

I think we will sneak into the tournament and our fans will complain every inch of the way if this board is any indication. Then next year's team will be better constructed, if Washington and Coffey stick it out and make a really nice run. The future is bright. Oturu is going to be a star. We will have better guard play and better shooting with Carr, Willis and Williams.

The first 26 minutes was very good but 40 in the last 14 is not acceptable. Agree there were tough shots but there was 7 bad help situations, a half dozen late recognitions and too many missed or poor blockouts.

I was unable to watch the game live today so just finished watching. This game was in no way on the coach. We played hard. We got a poor game from Murphy (5 turnovers)and nothing out of McBrayer, Kalscheur or Curry. To win at Purdue you are going to need everyone on your team clicking. When we got ahead by 13 Purdue had guys that stepped up and made plays. It started with Edwards hitting a 3 with a hand in his face, then a drive, then Cline pitches a couple of threes and the lead is gone. During that same time we had as good or better looks but didn't make the plays. If there is anything to fault Pitino here, it's that he still needs better players to go into a place like Purdue and expect to win.

I think we will sneak into the tournament and our fans will complain every inch of the way if this board is any indication. Then next year's team will be better constructed, if Washington and Coffey stick it out and make a really nice run. The future is bright. Oturu is going to be a star. We will have better guard play and better shooting with Carr, Willis and Williams.

Thanks. I wasnt able to see the game today either so appreciate the summary. 100% agree that the main concern going forward is recruiting. Cant have weak class this year.

While I agree Pitino stays if we make the tournament, I don't know if I agree that we will be that much better next year as it is currently. Obviously we don't know what will happen with the 3 open scholarships, but Spring recruiting rarely yields a ton of immediate impact. The back court will be better with Carr, Willis and Williams. The front court will be weaker without Murphy. His 30 minutes would go mostly to Omersa as we stand now. That's a big downgrade and offsets the stronger back court. I would view us as even next year, but not markedly better.

We should bank at least one for 2020, or get a grad transfer.

I'll admit it's more speculation than anything but another post mentioned it earlier and I had been thinking the exact same thing. It seemed that missing the front-ends of both 1-1s in quick succession coincided with the quite closely with the beginning of Purdue's run on the 13 point lead. Other than that I was happy with free throw shooting for the most part, especially from Coffey and Murphy who seem to be improving compared to earlier this season.

We need a back up big and a shooter. I think we can save the last one for 2020. If somehow some way this team could get Hurt, I think it's a really, really good team next year. I can imagine Washington pitching dimes to a stretch 4 like Hurt and then the middle is opened up for Oturu who is going to be a beast. I love Murphy and it is going to be tough to replace the rebounding but he is tough to set up an offense with because he is so one dimensional offensively.

Oturu/Curry
Matthew Hurt/Omersa
Coffey/Williams/Michael Hurt
Kalsheur/Willis
Carr/Washington

That's quite a squad right there.

While I agree Pitino stays if we make the tournament, I don't know if I agree that we will be that much better next year as it is currently. Obviously we don't know what will happen with the 3 open scholarships, but Spring recruiting rarely yields a ton of immediate impact. The back court will be better with Carr, Willis and Williams. The front court will be weaker without Murphy. His 30 minutes would go mostly to Omersa as we stand now. That's a big downgrade and offsets the stronger back court. I would view us as even next year, but not markedly better.

Murphy has been a great player but he can only score at the rim. He takes the same space Oturu needs. While Curry isn't the player Murphy is, he is a better pairing with Oturu. I don't see Omersa playing 20 minutes yet next year but I think he will improve enough to help as a back up. We will need to add depth at the 4/5 position.

Murphy has been a great player but he can only score at the rim. He takes the same space Oturu needs. While Curry isn't the player Murphy is, he is a better pairing with Oturu. I don't see Omersa playing 20 minutes yet next year but I think he will improve enough to help as a back up. We will need to add depth at the 4/5 position.

Curry and Oturu are already playing ~25 minutes/game. Realistically, they can't go more than 30 with foul trouble coming into play. So most of Murphy's minutes would go to Omersa. Obviously if we get Hurt, then we will be much better. But if it's some JC transfer or transfers sitting out, Omersa will have to play a lot. And I think his ceiling is an athletic Miles Tarver. Fine bench player in short spurts.

Agreed. I was wondering at times during the game if we would be better with Oturu and Curry on the court together with Murphy sitting. Curry has more skills and I trust him more with the ball but of course Murphy has done so much for this team. Today he hurt us a bit.

We need a back up big and a shooter. I think we can save the last one for 2020. If somehow some way this team could get Hurt, I think it's a really, really good team next year. I can imagine Washington pitching dimes to a stretch 4 like Hurt and then the middle is opened up for Oturu who is going to be a beast. I love Murphy and it is going to be tough to replace the rebounding but he is tough to set up an offense with because he is so one dimensional offensively.

Oturu/Curry
Matthew Hurt/Omersa
Coffey/Williams/Michael Hurt
Kalsheur/Willis
Carr/Washington

That's quite a squad right there.

I think Carr will prove to be a better shooter than McBray, better able to create shots also, guard should be set next year with Carr and Willis eligible and Tre Williams coming in, need a big or two.

Great post, thank you for being rational unlike so many on here.

Pitino didn’t take over a program in rebuild mode. He has a horrendous conference record and in year 6 the program has no identity. Yet unbelievably we have posters talking about a bright future.

Don’t get the blind faith some have in Pitino.

Last edited:

Pitino didn’t take over a program in rebuild mode. He has a horrendous conference record and in year 6 the program has no identity. Yet unbelievably we have posters talking about a bright future.

The program he inherited had not been over 9-9 in conference in 6 years. Builtbadgers would call that BAD. The program Pitino took over was not in rebuild but it was not in good shape either.

Top Bottom