Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Here's the actual article about Logan Richter and how he got his offer to play for the Gophers on Jr Day. What a nice story about a small town kid getting a chance to play for his dream school.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...phers-football
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Here's the actual article about Logan Richter and how he got his offer to play for the Gophers on Jr Day. What a nice story about a small town kid getting a chance to play for his dream school.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...phers-football
    I like these kind of stories.

The Gophers do get kids like Blais Andries, Jason Williamson, Brevyn Spann-Ford, Logan Richter. It is the hidden gems and the top MN recruits that got away that I worry about.

Do the Gophers still hold that HS Coaches Workshops that Jerry Kill used to do? That is a great way to reach out and establish pipeline/relationships.

The Gopher rivals - Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Nebraska all are playing even closer attention to recruiting in MN not to mention NDSU ND, SDSU...
    We will always miss out on hidden gems and top rated guys. Winning more will help attract more top rated kids, but really there is no tangible way of securing more hidden gems other than having a staff that is elite at evaluating/developing talent. Still just because a kid excels at one college does not mean he would have been the same player at another school in a different situation.

I'm okay with the gophers holding off on this kid. I wasn't blown away by his hudl video. If a player is B1G ready he should really dominate that level of competition. He could always develop into something, but seems to lack speed for linebacker and size for DE.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I'm okay with the gophers holding off on this kid. I wasn't blown away by his hudl video. If a player is B1G ready he should really dominate that level of competition. He could always develop into something, but seems to lack speed for linebacker and size for DE.
    He's a basketball athlete, in addition to football. Hence being 215lbs at 6-3 and why he has such a nice vertical.

I bet he could pack on some pounds and be a decent end with good explosion. Just not sure at the P5 level, but for sure at NDSU level.

If a player turned out to be good at NDSU, he could help the Gophers.

I actually liked his tape quite a bit. I think he ends up a MLB. He has a ton of range. I hope we offer him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    We will always miss out on hidden gems and top rated guys. Winning more will help attract more top rated kids, but really there is no tangible way of securing more hidden gems other than having a staff that is elite at evaluating/developing talent. Still just because a kid excels at one college does not mean he would have been the same player at another school in a different situation.
    I am afraid there is a grain of truth to what you are saying.

Chris Streveler did really well by transferring.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    If a player turned out to be good at NDSU, he could help the Gophers.

I actually liked his tape quite a bit. I think he ends up a MLB. He has a ton of range. I hope we offer him.
    Some have the patience and design to develop players. Some act like developing players is beneath their level.

I am afraid there is a grain of truth to what you are saying.

Chris Streveler did really well by transferring.

Strevelver was a beast, would’ve kicked ass at MN if given the opportunity. Just needed someone to say, here’s the ball, do what you do.

The Gophers do get kids like Blais Andries, Jason Williamson, Brevyn Spann-Ford, Logan Richter. It is the hidden gems and the top MN recruits that got away that I worry about.

Do the Gophers still hold that HS Coaches Workshops that Jerry Kill used to do? That is a great way to reach out and establish pipeline/relationships.

The Gopher rivals - Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Nebraska all are playing even closer attention to recruiting in MN not to mention NDSU ND, SDSU...
    Yes, the Minnesota Football Coaches Association still puts on the clinic. Kill was just following what Brewster and Mason already did. I've said this before on here, but one thing Brewster should get credit on was establishing and working with the high school coaches in the state. He didn't do a lot right in his tenure, but that was one area he hit out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Remember when walk on Cedric Dicke did a 50" box jump when he was in high school?
    That is impressive, especially considering Zenzen's wasn't really a vertical jump - he was clearly running into it and it was 8" shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by MNfootballfan View Post
    Yes, the Minnesota Football Coaches Association still puts on the clinic. Kill was just following what Brewster and Mason already did. I've said this before on here, but one thing Brewster should get credit on was establishing and working with the high school coaches in the state. He didn't do a lot right in his tenure, but that was one area he hit out of the park.
    Didn't Brewster even host a summer BBQ for MN coaches and/or recruits (or something like that)?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Didn't Brewster even host a summer BBQ for MN coaches and/or recruits (or something like that)?
    He called it a BBQ, but they mostly served chili. Really hot chili.

we've been in contact with him, if our staff thinks he should get an offer, he'll get one

PJ Fleck has shown to be good at identifying talent, we've had an number of early commits whose stock increased with further evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by MNfootballfan View Post
    That is impressive, especially considering Zenzen's wasn't really a vertical jump - he was clearly running into it and it was 8" shorter.
    We don’t know what height box jump he did in the video. It was boxes stacked on top of each other, so could’ve easily been 5x”. The article said he has a 42” vertical, as a fact independent of the video.

Jumping onto a platform 42” above ground absolutely does not mean you have a 42” vertical. They aren’t even close to the same thing.