Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 252
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Yearbook Photo Surfaces of VA Governor Northam Allegedly Wearing Blackface

    If this is him, he should resign. Ugh.

    http://www.nbc29.com/story/39893341/...ce-or-kkk-robe


  2. #2

    Default

    Way to beat the Righties to the punch howie. But personally, I’m against judging people or punishing people based on new standards of behavior. It was a joke. If done today, yeah, resign. Over 30 years ago, no.

    I don’t like him, but this retrospective judgment is unfair.

    I’m sure he’ll be begging for forgiveness though, and most of the Left will forgive him. Some won’t.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Way to beat the Righties to the punch howie. But personally, I’m against judging people or punishing people based on new standards of behavior. It was a joke. If done today, yeah, resign. Over 30 years ago, no.

    I don’t like him, but this retrospective judgment is unfair.
    If it had been 1965 maybe. By 1985 as a 25 year old he should have known better. I don't see how he can effectively govern with any credibility if this is accurate.
    Last edited by howeda7; 02-01-2019 at 03:45 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    How do you know that's him in Black face? He could be the one in the Klan outfit?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    How do you know that's him in Black face? He could be the one in the Klan outfit?
    Ok then, all is forgiven.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If it had been 1965 maybe. By 1985 as a 25 year old he should have known better. I don't see how he can effectively govern with any credibility if this is accurate.
    I donít know how old you were in 1985, but nobody really thought about what was inappropriate or insensitive back then. Political correctness was incomprehensible.

    Frankly, if it was 1965, that wouldíve probably indicated he was an angry racist.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    So. MN
    Posts
    3,550

    Default

    Killer (no pun intended) Tweet:


    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LesBolstad View Post
    Killer (no pun intended) Tweet:


    Tweet of the year!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I don’t know how old you were in 1985, but nobody really thought about what was inappropriate or insensitive back then. Political correctness was incomprehensible.

    Frankly, if it was 1965, that would’ve probably indicated he was an angry racist.
    You could make the same argument for Al Franken. It might not be "fair", but if you can't credibly do the job you were elected to do, you should step down.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Way to beat the Righties to the punch howie. But personally, Iím against judging people or punishing people based on new standards of behavior. It was a joke. If done today, yeah, resign. Over 30 years ago, no.

    I donít like him, but this retrospective judgment is unfair.

    Iím sure heíll be begging for forgiveness though, and most of the Left will forgive him. Some wonít.
    What the fu**ks wrong with you? You donít think black face was offensive 30 years ago?

    Should he be forced to retire because of something not illegal that he did 30 years ago? In the case of black face, I would say no. Assuming he can comment on it without sounding like a complete ass.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    You could make the same argument for Al Franken. It might not be "fair", but if you can't credibly do the job you were elected to do, you should step down.
    It depends on how this blows up. I’m just telling you my friends, white and black, made fun of each other without regard to sensitivities.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I donít know how old you were in 1985, but nobody really thought about what was inappropriate or insensitive back then. Political correctness was incomprehensible.

    Frankly, if it was 1965, that wouldíve probably indicated he was an angry racist.
    How old and where were you in 1985? I was in college and North Dakota. It was offense then and there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    It depends on how this blows up. I’m just telling you my friends, white and black, made fun of each other without regard to sensitivities.
    It's blowing up. Unless it is somehow proven that it's not him, he's done. The Lt. Gov. is African American. The GOP controls both the House and Senate. And I don't see Dems coming to his defense. Him being defiant and staying in office will not hold.

    Telling a joke and memorializing something like this in a year-book are two different things.

    Frankly, I'm a bit shocked this never came out before. Swing and a miss to the oppo research teams of the GOP Gov/Lt. Gov campaigns of the last two races.
    Last edited by howeda7; 02-01-2019 at 04:14 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I donít know how old you were in 1985, but nobody really thought about what was inappropriate or insensitive back then. Political correctness was incomprehensible.

    Frankly, if it was 1965, that wouldíve probably indicated he was an angry racist.
    You got that backwards my man. 1965 that would just be insensitive and or unaware. 1985? Thatís some racist stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    What the fu**ks wrong with you? You donít think black face was offensive 30 years ago?

    Should he be forced to retire because of something not illegal that he did 30 years ago? In the case of black face, I would say no. Assuming he can comment on it without sounding like a complete ass.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím sure it was to some. But nobody ever expressed outrage about such actions. Thatís why it is in a YEARBOOK.

    I donít know your experiences or the experiences of my black friends. I know people made fun of situations and things that they wouldnít dream of now. Maybe itís for the better that they donít now. It is what it is.

    People werenít as sensitive then, at least publicly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •