Black History Month Q&A: Melvin Anderson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Melvin Anderson
Sports: Track & Football
Years: 1983 - 1986
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Occupation: Business Owner (Maximum Bldg Maintenance, Youth Determined To Succeed, Inc., Maximum Impact Training)

What is it you miss most about the University?
What I miss most is game or meet days. I also miss living in the dorm with my teammates and all the fun we had, especially in the small Sanford Hall dorm rooms.

If you could give the current student-athletes any piece of advice, what would it be?
Build relationships with non-athlete students and the local business world to leverage it for future opportunities in the Twin Cities. To seek value-based summer internships or jobs that will help further build your skill set and experiences. Learn from every experience and incorporate your learnings in future situations and opportunities. Be engaged fully into your education, and don't just get by. Relish your four short years because they go by very quickly.

What was your favorite university or athletic event you've attended since you graduated and what made it so special to you?
Wearing my son's Badger game shirt along with my Gopher hat at the Gopher Badger football game and the many strange looks and comments I got.

What are you grateful for?
The opportunity the Gophers gave me to better my life and strive for greatness. That one scholarship resulted in a vibrant adult life, including starting three businesses and witnessing my three kids play Division I sports and receive their degrees.

What does Black History Month mean to you?
A time to reflect on all those in the past that sacrificed and paved the way for me and many others to be able to attend college and play on a big stage. And at the same time, Black History month motivates me to do the same for our future generations of athletes and non-athletes.

What occupies your time now?
Life with my wife and former Gopher of over 35+ years, my three business, coaching kids the past 23 years and taking care of my two parents who has lived in Minnesota for over 20 years.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1/31/football-black-history-month-melvin-anderson.aspx

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom