Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quality W and I hope they gained confidence to keep winning.

It could be said that Whalen is learning to make adjustments. The last 2 wins showed a number of adjustments, both offensively and defensively.

A really fun finish, especially for us four guard lineup advocates. The Gopher D was solid and the Gopher press annoyed and pestered Rutgers into turnovers and timeouts. The offensive plan in the first half of chucking into the aggressively defended posts was ridiculous. But things flowed more freely in the second half. Getting to the line was amazing, awesome and crucial. And we got to see K Bello for a stretch. A good Sunday at the barn.

Gophers had a +13 rebounding margin (44-31) in today's Rutgers game. Three best rebounders in the Rutgers game:
    T. Bello with 21 reb / 39 min = .538 rebounds per minute of playing time
    K. Bello with 2 reb / 4 min = .500 rebounds per minute of playing time
    D. Pitts with 7 reb / 37 min = .189 rebounds per minute of playing time

K. Bello gets Subway sub of the game (that's gotta be a record, like first sub of the game to only play 4 minutes). I guess we'll just say she deserves the award for almost tying her sister's per-minute rebounding rate during those short 4 minutes.

After 14 turnovers in the crazy first half, the Gophers limited themselves to an amazingly low 4 turnovers in the entire second half. If they could do that consistently in both halves of all games (e.g., 8 total turnovers per game, about 2/3 of last year's per-game average) they would be the best team in the B1G just based on defense, lack of turnovers, and rebounding alone (and really only have trouble with the offensive production of Gustafson of Iowa).
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 02-03-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherlife View Post
    Go Gophers! The 2nd consecutive big win! They're going to turn the Big Ten upside down if they continue to win after getting off to such a rough start in the conference.
    Now bring back Hubbard and let’s get this thing rolling!

From the 2017-18 Media Guide: Where Taiye's 21 rebounds versu Rutgers stands:

Rebounding Records:

29 Amanda Zahui B. vs. Iowa 2/17/15
    27 Amanda Zahui B. vs. Purdue 1/22/15
    25 Angie Iverson vs. Colorado State 11/30/96
    23 Molly Tadich vs. Northwestern 1/22/84
    22 Amanda Zahui B. vs. DePaul 3/20/15
    21 Amanda Zahui B. vs. Iowa 2/17/15
    21 Laura Coenen vs. Drake 12/9/84
    21 Laura Coenen vs. Illinois 1/4/85
    21 Molly Tadich vs. Michigan 1/30/87
    20 Laura Coenen vs. San Diego St. 12/27/84
    19 Amanda Zahui B. at Purdue 1/1/15

https://scarletknights.com/news/2019...asketball.aspx

A couple of things of note for Rutgers: Caitlin Jenkins did not play because of suspension. There's no reason given why Cryor only played 16 minutes.

Senior forward Caitlin Jenkins has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team policy

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-w...-46/505282952/

Interesting quote:

The Gophers trailed 31-26 with 3:36 left in the third quarter. That’s when things changed. Bell drove, scored, was fouled and hit the free throw. That started an 11-0 run that also included three-point plays by Bello and Brunson.
    Rutgers was never able to regain momentum, shooting 10-for-28 in the second half. Over the final 13:36 the Gophers outscored Rutgers 34-15.
    Afterward, Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer was blunt. “We didn’t come to play,’’ she said. “I think we halfway went at it. Minnesota wanted it more. I’m surprised they didn’t ask why we’re here.’’

The better question is where has this Gophers team been?
    “We’ve gone through our slump of losing,’’ Bello said. “We just wanted it more. We needed it as a team.’’
    After the game Whalen compared Bello to former Lynx teammate Rebekkah Brunson. “You can’t stop heart,’’ Whalen said. “I played with Rebekkah the last eight years. Taiye has the same skills and all the same heart.’’

The answer to Youngblood's question "where has this Gophers team been?". It's been there all the time; it had just been buried in a sluggish, grinding, get it to the posts offense which only made sense if you were playing Wisconsin or actually have Rebekkah Brunson on the court. As a bonus Pitts is now liberated to roam the court on offense and the defense has been more mobile and effective. It remains a knife edge; but, at least, we are on the right side of the edge.

Rutgers is a pretty good matchup for the Gophers. They both play ugly.... rely on defense to make up for limited offense. It was one of those bad days for Rutgers that they couldn’t overcome to beat a team playing as poorly as the Gophers. They lost a bench player to injury. It sounded like they benched another for displinary reasons, if I read that right? And I thought the refereeing favored the Gophers. This definitely didn’t look like the #17 club in the nation that showed up. We’ll see how the Gophers do on the road in Indiana. They might be due for a reversion to the means.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Rutgers is a pretty good matchup for the Gophers. They both play ugly.... rely on defense to make up for limited offense. It was one of those bad days for Rutgers that they couldn’t overcome to beat a team playing as poorly as the Gophers. They lost a bench player to injury. It sounded like they benched another for displinary reasons, if I read that right? And I thought the refereeing favored the Gophers. This definitely didn’t look like the #17 club in the nation that showed up. We’ll see how the Gophers do on the road in Indiana. They might be due for a reversion to the means.
    Sheesh...let us just enjoy the win. A win is a win. This is a big rpi win

did not see the womens game, but sounds like they did to Rutgers what Purdue did to our mens team.

I thought the other thing that Kent noted about the Gopher 11-0 run at the end of the third, was equally if not more significant. They both shut out Rutgers as well as scored 11 points in a grand total of (I think it was) 1:15. It's barely possible to squeeze four pairs of possessions in a minute and a quarter. Yet they scored four times, and mostly three-point scores.

Compare to the 10-minute second quarter where they hit a single field goal (but did have a handful of made free throws). What a difference. If you ignore free throws, that's 4X the field goals in about 1/8th the time. Or about 32X the scoring productivity in that 1:15.

Agreed that our first half attempts to feed posts in the paint backfired and mostly resulted in turnovers.

We know that defenses have been packing the paint with up to 4 of their zone defenders. Add to the paint either two (3 guard offense) or one (4 guard offense) players of our own. That's 5-6 players in the paint, mostly theirs. No wonder Taiye and/or Annalese can hardly put up a shot or a putback without being clobbered. Or we can barely get a pass to the posts without several pass interceptors surrounding them.

I think we almost need a radical offense revision in which all 5 players start out at the three point line. Give the guards some room in the paint to drive and work. The rebounders can sprint into the paint as soon as the play starts to enfold. Bello especially can outrun her defender to the rebound. Maybe let Lamke roam the baseline to create a paint threat. So, like 4-5 players roaming the three point line plus optionally one roaming the baseline to start. Then we get our offense going, set some screens, and all heck breaks loose as we confuse them, take a three point shot or a drive the (mostly clean) paint for a layup or short jumper, with posts rushing in for the rebound. The idea is, let them clog the paint. We just won't start out with our posts just standing near the paint to make them easy defensive targets.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 02-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.

There were some fun plays (efforts) in the second half including Brunson taking the ball full speed up court right at a retreating Pelc resulting in a layup and the and one.

There was also the Bell and Bello combo.
    In the first one, Perez stole an inbound Rutgers pass, handed it to Bell who raced up court and spotted Taiye beating the Scarlet Knights to the basket. Kenisha whipped a perfect line drive pass from the The Barn logo to Taiye for a lay up and another and one. Minnesota 45, Rutgers 35.

In the second play, the roles were reversed. Taiye rebounded a long range, straight away Pitts three. The rebound took Bellow to the right baseline where she alertly spotted Keke streaking down the lane and delivered a perfect pass for a layup. Minnesota 53, Rutgers 42.

Now, I wish Whalen would borrow some of Stollings' inbound plays. Rutgers does make it difficult after made baskets; but at times we seemed a bit confused and certainly not crisp in popping players open to receive the pass

Maybe I missed it, but has it been discussed why Lamke has been getting reduced minutes the last two games? Is she dealing with an injury or has the coaching staff just decided to go in that new direction? Someone previously mentioned that she was in a boot, but then she did play some minutes in the first half of the Rutgers game and I thought she looked healthy. Anyone know?