STrib: Megan Ryan brings her unique energy to the Gophers football beat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Hey. I’m Megan Ryan, and I’ll be your new Gophers football writer, taking over for Randy Johnson as he starts spearheading a new endeavor at the paper. You might recognize from my past two years at the paper covering soccer, hockey and literally a little bit of anything and everything else.

Now before anyone gets too distressed that I’ve only covered “the other football,” let me tell you a little about myself. First of all, I’m a University of Minnesota grad, so I’m fairly familiar with the program and its recent ups and (many) downs. I’ve also written about football in some form or another for most of my young career so far. I’ve covered high school football in the Twin Cities, Dallas (hello, real FNL) and Pittsburgh. I have the searing memories of keeping my own stats and freezing during November playoff games to prove it. Also, this story.

I even covered a season of Penn State football before I moved back to my home state to work at my hometown paper. I have the mileage on my car from the countless five-hour round trips from Pittsburgh to State College to prove that. Also, this story.

Here’s what you can expect from me as your new beat reporter: really good stories. I pride myself on finding the unique angles others might overlook and really digging into what it all means, who these people are. I’ve already got a ton of ideas I can’t wait to start working on, so I really hope you all stay tuned. I’m also a millennial, lmao, so I’m going to bring some digital aspects to this beat. That means being very accessible on Twitter, posting my own photos and videos, doing Facebook Lives and maybe even bringing back my #YouveGotMailbag (see what I did there?). There’s going to be a lot of content, so hopefully you’re into that kind of thing.

College football is a big deal. And the Gophers are very important to this market. So I’m looking forward to covering this team in all its aspects, on the field and off it. And I’ll do it perfectly.

As long as your definition of perfect is the same as coach Gaines’.

http://www.startribune.com/megan-ry...nergy-to-the-gophers-football-beat/505151382/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Hey. I’m Megan Ryan, and I’ll be your new Gophers football writer, taking over for Randy Johnson as he starts spearheading a new endeavor at the paper. You might recognize from my past two years at the paper covering soccer, hockey and literally a little bit of anything and everything else.

Now before anyone gets too distressed that I’ve only covered “the other football,” let me tell you a little about myself. First of all, I’m a University of Minnesota grad, so I’m fairly familiar with the program and its recent ups and (many) downs. I’ve also written about football in some form or another for most of my young career so far. I’ve covered high school football in the Twin Cities, Dallas (hello, real FNL) and Pittsburgh. I have the searing memories of keeping my own stats and freezing during November playoff games to prove it. Also, this story.

I even covered a season of Penn State football before I moved back to my home state to work at my hometown paper. I have the mileage on my car from the countless five-hour round trips from Pittsburgh to State College to prove that. Also, this story.

Here’s what you can expect from me as your new beat reporter: really good stories. I pride myself on finding the unique angles others might overlook and really digging into what it all means, who these people are. I’ve already got a ton of ideas I can’t wait to start working on, so I really hope you all stay tuned. I’m also a millennial, lmao, so I’m going to bring some digital aspects to this beat. That means being very accessible on Twitter, posting my own photos and videos, doing Facebook Lives and maybe even bringing back my #YouveGotMailbag (see what I did there?). There’s going to be a lot of content, so hopefully you’re into that kind of thing.

College football is a big deal. And the Gophers are very important to this market. So I’m looking forward to covering this team in all its aspects, on the field and off it. And I’ll do it perfectly.

As long as your definition of perfect is the same as coach Gaines’.

http://www.startribune.com/megan-ry...nergy-to-the-gophers-football-beat/505151382/

Go Gophers!!

"(many) downs". Nice to work that in on her first article on the program.

Surprised the Strib didn't give this assignment to Rochelle Olson.

Last edited:

Welcome to the beat, hopefully she does a great job! However, like this thread here, the extent of my reading of her content won't go past what is cut and pasted on the board here.

She's going to need that unique energy to deal with her co-workers over there now that she has this beat

I swear I thought the headline said Megyn Kelly and almost choked on food. :eek:

I thought Meg Ryan - the petite, bubbly, and cute actor from the 80's and early 90s who at some point in her career thought plastic surgery was a good idea.

Welcome, but don't listen to the boys at the Trib. In fact make sure your office is on the other side of the facility.

Well, she said "recent." List the many recent downs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Just an odd way to introduce yourself by taking a jab at the team.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I remember Amelia Rayno’s introductory thing. Hated it. Ended up loving her as a beat writer.

If Ryan puts in the time, provides the promised tons of content and is passionate about covering the team...I’m all in

Just an odd way to introduce yourself by taking a jab at the team.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Just another liberal coming back home. I wonder if she is living in the home basement.

Well, she said "recent." List the many recent downs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I suppose this boils down to what you consider recent.

In the past decade or so...Tim Brewster, Jerry Kills illness and subsequent retirement, Tracy Claeys fired, a dozen or so players suspended/expelled in a very public rape allegation case, the entire team threatened to boycott a bowl game, a 1 win season, two 3 win seasons, a home loss to NDSU, a home loss to South Dakota, a 15 year streak without beating wisconsin...I mean, that is a lot of downs since 2007 (axe streak to 2003) without me really trying to come up with anything.

Surely there are more. Was it a necessary comment? No. But she isn’t wrong.

Those crusty old cantankerous guys are going to retire soon...

Man this place is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guy in the Yankees hat is Dpoll turning around to tell her that she's doing it wrong.

I'm sure there are several GopherHolers who would tell her not to get so excited.

The Gophers have had some good beat writers. Randy Johnson was pretty unremarkable to be honest. For basketball Amelia was great, Marcus Fuller is great now. So hopefully this is a fun hire for FB.

Top Bottom