Claeys gets three year contract

Great news! Maybe equals his Minnesota Head Coach money per season now. They love the guy! Cool!
Love this quote from the article:
Though we all likely saw that rollover coming, the extension of Claeys is arguably just as big a deal. The former Minnesota Golden Gophers defensive coordinator and head coach performed a near miracle with the WSU defense this season, adapting to what the players had known under former coordinator Alex Grinch. Washington State defense performed well above expectations throughout the season, proving Leach’s hire from the offseason was quite a home run.

Well we all knew this was a great pickup by Washington St. Good for him.

I wish him well, unless we face him in the Rose Bowl!

Well we all knew this was a great pickup by Washington St. Good for him.

Yep. That dude can coach the heck out of a defense. Perfect fit for him at Wazzu. Mike Leach can handle the recruiting/PR stuff while the former Dark Wizard of Dinkytown just sits in a dark room scheming. If Wazzu can keep those two together for a while they may really have something there

Hmm

Coach Mike Leach has built a nationally prominent football program at Washington State and our student-athletes continue to excel athletically and academically under his leadership,” said Chun in a media release.

GOod for him.

I feel like leach’s name has been floated for a couple of jobs.
They’re likely trying to keep leach long term by giving him some security in his assistant positions.

Since K state and Kansas passed on Claeys I’d say Claeys most likely power 5 job would be a leach move or retirement and Claeys gets wazzu job

GOod for him.

I feel like leach’s name has been floated for a couple of jobs.
They’re likely trying to keep leach long term by giving him some security in his assistant positions.

Since K state and Kansas passed on Claeys I’d say Claeys most likely power 5 job would be a leach move or retirement and Claeys gets wazzu job

Washington State already has Leach signed through 2023. They are locking up the assistants now.

I wish him well, unless we face him in the Rose Bowl!

Smart for Leach to pick him. I heard the offer was extended to Claeys shortly after his firing, but Claeys wanted to take a year off and farm.

Good for Claeys. He sure can coach defense.

Smart for Leach to pick him. I heard the offer was extended to Claeys shortly after his firing, but Claeys wanted to take a year off and farm.

Good for Claeys. He sure can coach defense.

It would be interesting to know what that offer was.

I always figured TC was highly skilled but maybe a bit short in coach networking as he was with Kill for so long and maybe didn't have a big network / exposure for folks to see how good he could be as a DC.

I really expect TC could DC at one of the top programs one day. He's so consistent.

Like you guys, (and gals) I'm happy for him. I think he is a better fit as a defensive coach as opposed to being a head coach and that isn't a knock on him. Its a whole different deal being a head coach of a major program.

Hmm

Coach Mike Leach has built a nationally prominent football program at Washington State and our student-athletes continue to excel athletically and academically under his leadership,” said Chun in a media release.

Let’s be honest, the problem at WSU has always been on the spiritual side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s be honest, the problem at WSU has always been on the spiritual side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spiritually, they're fine. Socially? Terrible.
Congratulations to Coach!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Like you guys, (and gals) I'm happy for him. I think he is a better fit as a defensive coach as opposed to being a head coach and that isn't a knock on him. Its a whole different deal being a head coach of a major program.

I'm with you. His situation at WSU looks like the perfect fit. Creative analytical defensive coordinator with an unconventional background paired with a colorful offensive wizard head coach with an unconventional background. Like peas and carrots.

Spiritually, they're fine. Socially? Terrible.
Congratulations to Coach!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I am guessing Leach likes his spirits.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I'm with you. His situation at WSU looks like the perfect fit. Creative analytical defensive coordinator with an unconventional background paired with a colorful offensive wizard head coach with an unconventional background. Like peas and carrots.

Leach definitely has an unconventional background - you don't often see someone with a law degree coaching major college football. But how is Claeys' background unconventional? He's been coaching football and doing little else for virtually his entire adult life.

Leach definitely has an unconventional background - you don't often see someone with a law degree coaching major college football. But how is Claeys' background unconventional? He's been coaching football and doing little else for virtually his entire adult life.

I'm assuming unconventional in the sense that he never played college football, was a math whiz in college and a math teacher before joining Kill. As you stated, much more conventional once he got started.

Unconventional background in that he never played college football. I think he a was student trainer at Kansas on Mason's team and started getting involved.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone would dispute Claeys' defensive coordination skills, not surprising he is doing well in that role.

He got a raw deal with the Gophers. Happy he landed on his feet.

Much as I liked coach Claeys and thought we would have been successful had he stayed, he really made his own raw deal. A lot of people, myself included, knew he was a goner as soon as he tweeted his support for the striking players. You can't undermine your bosses publicly and expect to keep your job.

I'd still rather have TC coaching the Gophers than PJ, but I'm happy for him that he's doing so well.

Great defensive coach. Seems like a very good fit with Leach. That is a potent coaching duo and Washington State was a laughing stock for more than a few years prior to the current regime. It is interesting to note that Leach did not pull it off over night, but he did pull it off. And for all those that say there are too many barriers to having a great football program at MN, look no further than Washington State because on paper it looks like a far bigger challenge than building a winner at Minnesota.

Much as I liked coach Claeys and thought we would have been successful had he stayed, he really made his own raw deal. A lot of people, myself included, knew he was a goner as soon as he tweeted his support for the striking players. You can't undermine your bosses publicly and expect to keep your job.

I'd still rather have TC coaching the Gophers than PJ, but I'm happy for him that he's doing so well.

This is what makes the world go round.

Top Bottom