Pitino and the state of the program

They have proven nothing yet. I too am disappointed with recruiting in this cycle, but to say that we missed is much much too soon. Nnaji could be like Sims and not pan out. Wahl will prove many wrong if he becomes anything special, Roddy is a borderline P5 player and Hurt will end up at a blue blood and be a one and done. I think the only real miss from 2019 could be Terry.

I think that the post by Golfing18 is quite eye opening. The Gophers get ripped on "missing" on these players when in reality our bias of loving hometown guys clouds our perspective and makes it feel like any kid who leaves is some huge miss and an indictment on our staff and program. Last time I checked, Pitino landed the best player to come out of MN in the last 4 years who wasn't a one and done type.

Sincerely, I think the real issue which people are not voicing is the idea that we should be getting Minnesota one-and-dones regardless of all the Anti-Minnesota issues thrown out by critics. The perception is we get 0% and people would like that perception to be higher.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

And any kid that has a chance to go to Stanford is not a miss. Very few people get a chance to go to a school like that.
Well, here is a problem. The amount of PR alumni have been fed about being "The Harvard (or Stanford) of the Midwest" still lingers in their minds. The academic shortcomings of this University are being swept under the carpet, especially the academic shortcomings in programs that would attract the student-athletes we would like to tout.

Sincerely, I think the real issue which people are not voicing is the idea that we should be getting Minnesota one-and-dones regardless of all the Anti-Minnesota issues thrown out by critics. The perception is we get 0% and people would like that perception to be higher.

There really aren't a lot of one-and-dones that come out of this conference. There were 18 drafted out of college last year and this conference had only one (Jaren Jackson Jr of Mich State) of them. There were also 18 drafted the year before and none were from this conference.

There really aren't a lot of one-and-dones that come out of this conference. There were 18 drafted out of college last year and this conference had only one (Jaren Jackson Jr of Mich State) of them. There were also 18 drafted the year before and none were from this conference.
See my post following the one to which you are replying. There is a great disconnect from reality about the status of everything associated with the University of Minnesota and where people are told it measures up.

This is gawd awful, horrid, pathetic offensive basketball. It's pure garbage.

You take the last 15 minutes of Purdue and the 40 minutes tonight.............I have never seen a worse 55 minutes of gopher offense in my life.

Move on from this coach. The product sucks balls.

They never have a point guard, and McBrayer has been out there for 4 straight years.

It's pure garbage.

Oh, and Wisconsin sucked balls tonight.

You take the last 15 minutes of Purdue and the 40 minutes tonight.............I have never seen a worse 55 minutes of gopher offense in my life.

They never have a point guard, and McBrayer has been out there for 4 straight years.

It's pure garbage.

3 for 31 from 3 in the last two games and the season shooting percentage is laughably bad. Adjustments have not been made.
Wisconsin was freaking TERRIBLE...and we were WORSE, LOL. Basketball was set back 20 years by that game.

It's pure garbage.

The idea that Wisconsin is a "special team" is laughable. They will be knocked out in the 2nd round like usual.

The idea that Wisconsin is a "special team" is laughable. They will be knocked out in the 2nd round like usual.

They have only lost in the 2nd round once in ten years. The rest include two final fours.

And our schit program can only dream of a second round exit.

I mean seriously.........

We need a different vision, a different type of player, a whole new outlook and start.

No shooters. If we had kids who could knock down a shot, we would beat Wisconsin by double digits. We just don't have consistent shooting. It makes us a mid-tier to low-tier basketball team.
2 straight losses and more to come. Welcome to the NIT.

In my opinion, Pitino doesn't have what it takes to make it in Minnesota. I really don't see some awesome strategy or skill that separates him from the average coach. Is his team good defensively? Good at shooting? Is the team disciplined? Is the team tough minded? Nope nope nope nope... It's like a bunch of misfits put together on the court to form a team. No rhyme, no reason from Pitino at all. He's too laid back and doesn't seem to demand much from his players. Pitino's got players like Washington, McBrayer, Coffey who think they're Russel Westbrook, Stephen Curry, and LeBron James. Washington has no discipline, no basketball IQ. McBrayer just can't shoot or do anything right, and maybe his head isn't in it, maybe he should take a couple games off. Coffey has the most bricks from a foot out of most people... who the hell taught him how to drive and throw up bricks like that? Who put this team of headless chickens together?

They have only lost in the 2nd round once in ten years. The rest include two final fours.

Touche. Bo Ryan did it 5 times, and Gaard's first team required a miracle to advance to the Sweet 16.

There will be the two or three posters come on to defend Pitino. How he had to start over, was left with nothing, blah, blah, blah. A freaking home loss to an offensively challenged team. Unfortunately the Gophers are even more offensively challenged.

3 for 31 from 3 in the last two games and the season shooting percentage is laughably bad. Adjustments have not been made.
Wisconsin was freaking TERRIBLE...and we were WORSE, LOL. Basketball was set back 20 years by that game.

Gabe Kalscheur is 1 of 10 in the last two games. Even the one guy on the team whom I think most of us consider a good shooter has missed a handful of open looks. Knocking down 1 or 2 more could have made the difference tonight, especially since getting to the foul line wasn't really working with the way this game was officiated. But hey at least we hit a good FT% tonight.

Tonight's game even made James Naismith fall asleep from the bricks and inefficiency on offense.

In my opinion, Pitino doesn't have what it takes to make it in Minnesota. I really don't see some awesome strategy or skill that separates him from the average coach. Is his team good defensively? Good at shooting? Is the team disciplined? Is the team tough minded? Nope nope nope nope... It's like a bunch of misfits put together on the court to form a team. No rhyme, no reason from Pitino at all. He's too laid back and doesn't seem to demand much from his players. Pitino's got players like Washington, McBrayer, Coffey who think they're Russel Westbrook, Stephen Curry, and LeBron James. Washington has no discipline, no basketball IQ. McBrayer just can't shoot or do anything right, and maybe his head isn't in it, maybe he should take a couple games off. Coffey has the most bricks from a foot out of most people... who the hell taught him how to drive and throw up bricks like that? Who put this team of headless chickens together?

Thank you for this post. It is so spot on. It is time to move on from Pitino. Let’s do it before this team is a cellar dweller, which could be soon if we don’t get rid of Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be the two or three posters come on to defend Pitino. How he had to start over, was left with nothing, blah, blah, blah. A freaking home loss to an offensively challenged team. Unfortunately the Gophers are even more offensively challenged.

They will cry about starting over with a new coach.

Keep in mind that with a new coach they could look disjointed and miss the NCAA's. Oh, the horrors.......LMAO

I think our d has improved immensely this year personally. McBrayer and Gabe didn't hit shots tonight and Coffey was taken out of the game. Gard game planned well and I know people will be upset, but Wisconsin does defend well! They won by controlling pace and pack line D really makes dribble hand offs ineffective. I think he real fair questioning of Pitino tonight could be when he stopped doubling Happ in the 2nd half and not trying to get Stull in or someone that could hit an open three.

I think our d has improved immensely this year personally. McBrayer and Gabe didn't hit shots tonight and Coffey was taken out of the game. Gard game planned well and I know people will be upset, but Wisconsin does defend well! They won by controlling pace and pack line D really makes dribble hand offs ineffective. I think he real fair questioning of Pitino tonight could be when he stopped doubling Happ in the 2nd half and not trying to get Stull in or someone that could hit an open three.
How many of the things that you say Wisconsin does well do the Gophers actually do well? Your answer should tell you the fate of a coach in his sixth season with a losing conference record.

How many of the things that you say Wisconsin does well do the Gophers actually do well? Your answer should tell you the fate of a coach in his sixth season with a losing conference record.

Not necessarily something I think is comparable, but sure? I've been on here many times saying if we don't get to the tournament, we need to move on, I'm not going to overreact to s loss to a Wisconsin team that is playing really well. I'll wait and let the rest of the Big 10 season play out. I still think we win 4 more in conference, but if not and there is someone good who is actually willing to come here, then yes move on. I'm not interested in just moving on for the sake of moving on though.

Not necessarily something I think is comparable, but sure? I've been on here many times saying if we don't get to the tournament, we need to move on, I'm not going to overreact to s loss to a Wisconsin team that is playing really well. I'll wait and let the rest of the Big 10 season play out. I still think we win 4 more in conference, but if not and there is someone good who is actually willing to come here, then yes move on. I'm not interested in just moving on for the sake of moving on though.

Agree with that.
If we move in I hope it is a well run process.

I thought the football process went well regardless of how Fleck ends up. The search gave the appearance that the AD knows what he was doing.

Agree with that.
If we move in I hope it is a well run process.

I thought the football process went well regardless of how Fleck ends up. The search gave the appearance that the AD knows what he was doing.

Agreed 100% with the football process once they fired Tracey. So far all of Coyles searches have went pretty seamless with a plan.

That's exactly the right way to think about it. The game was there to be had. We couldn't make shots. They did- Trice's being the big one. Move on the next game.

Name some things the Gophers do well as a team? A good coach has his fingerprint on his team, and sure they may not be great at everything, they should be good at something.

What are we good at? What does Pitino bring to the table as a coach other than his last name? Are we good at free throws? Three pointers? Shooting? Defense? Driving to the rim? Passing? Zones? Man to man? What is Pitino known for here? Great motivator? Great adjustments? I think the best thing he's ever done in adjustments was hack a happ.

There were times where Happ was constantly fed the ball on the post... If I was Pitino, I'd tell McBrayer to stop shooting, I'd tell Washington to pass only, I'd tell Coffey to stop diving into traffic, then I'd tell them to feed the ball to Murphy on almost every possession when things are going bad. Does that happen? Nope.. Pitino lets them run around like headless chicken, even when on 2-20 runs.

Last edited:

Tubby was at least competitive against Wisky, 4 wins in 10 games. Pitino is 2-9.

I just don't understand how IW gets 14 minutes and mcbrayer gets 27-what does he bring to get those minutes? Washington tried pushing the ball up the court and the rest of the guards walked it up-this is on the coach.

Top Bottom