Pitino and the state of the program

Give me a break. It's a B1G job in a major city. And the only D-1 school in the state. They finally have facilities that don't suck. They can get a decent coach. They just have to make the right choice.

You keep telling yourself that. Maybe we can hire Izzo's son as our next coach. I am sure he's qualified.

I don't think it's over-stating to say Pitino is coaching for his job on Wednesday. I just don't see how they make the NCAA's if they lose that game.

Looks like Pitino will need to figure out how to win 4 out of the last 7.

If they only win 3 they probably need at least 2 wins in the B1G Tourney.

Either way I don’t see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. If they win Wednesday I give them a 50-60% chance at making it. If they lose, 10% at best. And Nebraska is way overdue for a win, and they aren't winning at Purdue today. Ugh.

The state of the Gopher Basketball team is a total embarrasement. We will not be able to bring in a good coach, because the program has nothing to offer. Maybe coach Molinari will come back. Pitino can not teach/run offense. I am so beaten down as a long time loyal Gopher bb fan. Why do I waste my time and money on this program? Coach Pitino has sealed his fate.
Good question....why waste your energy on the Gophers

Cheer for Bucky instead

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The best approach at this point is to fire him tomorrow. It will give us a larger window of time to find the next coach. His tenure here has been at utter failure. Have fun Rick coaching at Pacific Palisades and say hi to Dan Monson for us.

The best approach at this point is to fire him tomorrow. It will give us a larger window of time to find the next coach. His tenure here has been at utter failure. Have fun Rick coaching at Pacific Palisades and say hi to Dan Monson for us.

If they lose a couple more I can see this argument. Can't do that yet.

If they lose a couple more I can see this argument. Can't do that yet.

I'm fairly confident this team won't make the NCAA tournament as I think they would need to win four of their last seven to do that. I also see little chance of them winning more than one game in the Big Ten tournament and there's a fair chance they won't win any because they're not so likely to play on Wednesday this year. If things go as expected, I say fire Pitino after the Big Ten tournament and let the assistants handle the team in the NIT if they get a bid.

No that would not be the right move. They still have a shot at the NCAA Tournament....that would be a mess if we did that. Let the season play out and see what happens. While I'm not a fan of Pitino, he deserves the chance to coach out this year at least. I'm not convinced he will be fired if we miss the tournament. But firing him now is not the correct move.

No that would not be the right move. They still have a shot at the NCAA Tournament....that would be a mess if we did that. Let the season play out and see what happens. While I'm not a fan of Pitino, he deserves the chance to coach out this year at least. I'm not convinced he will be fired if we miss the tournament. But firing him now is not the correct move.

Correct. It would also be considered a low class move by other coaches, something you only do in the case of a complete breakdown.

If your an assistant coach or even the HC , how do you not show Coffey tape of a left hander dribbling right (especially catching a ball by jump stopping with the ability to go either hand) and show Murphy how to shoot a jump shot over 3 years and 4 years respectively? Ridiculous.

At this point I would fire him even if he makes the tournament. This program is going nowhere. We fired Tubby after he won a game. And I believe his overall and B1G records are better than Pitinos.

If your an assistant coach or even the HC , how do you not show Coffey tape of a left hander dribbling right (especially catching a ball by jump stopping with the ability to go either hand) and show Murphy how to shoot a jump shot over 3 years and 4 years respectively? Ridiculous.

Have you ever watched a tape of Tiger Woods? How's your golf game?

There is no doubt in my mind that both players have been worked on regarding these aspects. The rest is on the player and sometimes it's just not in them. You think Wisconsin works on Happ's shooting? Think how amazing he could be if he could shoot free throws and outside jumpers.

Not provable, but logically true. If you don't think that it is logical that a team ranked 10th in the country when the bottom fell out in terms of injuries and the Lynch suspension, wasn't going to have a good year, then that's your choice. But your choice wouldn't make sense. By the way those who say they saw signs before Lynch was suspended that the team wasn't playing as well as they could, were right. It was already known by Lynch that the situation was under investigation and it no doubt affected his play. He wasn't himself for his last month.

So let me ask you, without the injuries and the Lynch suspension do you think they would have at least made the NCAAs?

Which poll were we ranked 10th in?

Kinda sounds like somebody is re-inventing history

Which poll were we ranked 10th in?

Kinda sounds like somebody is re-inventing history

I thought we were 10th- it turns out that we were 12th in both the coaches and the AP poll when we were 7-0. Same in USA Today. I wasn't trying to revise history-I'd say 12th is pretty close...but my bad.

Give me a break. It's a B1G job in a major city. And the only D-1 school in the state. They finally have facilities that don't suck. They can get a decent coach. They just have to make the right choice.

Exactly! This has been and continues to be a sleeping giant.

9 wins pre-BTT should put them on the bubble, but the devil is in the details, especially the way NET computes their thing. Win one more than that total - including in the BTT - and there'll be a lot less drama in this.

At the end of the day, they can't play as bad as they played today. That was discouraging and embarrassing. Nebraska will kill us and pick our carcass clean if we go into Lincoln with this kind of effort.

I thought we were 10th- it turns out that we were 12th in both the coaches and the AP poll when we were 7-0. Same in USA Today. I wasn't trying to revise history-I'd say 12th is pretty close...but my bad.

It’s misleading though. Putting it that way implies that we only dropped out of the rankings after the injuries/suspension.

We were unranked when Lynch’s suspension came about.

It’s misleading though. Putting it that way implies that we only dropped out of the rankings after the injuries/suspension.

Fair enough- not intended but fair comment. Once again, I will say that it is almost certain that the team knew about a month prior to Lynch's suspension that there was an investigation and I have to believe that it affected them considering they already were short Curry. I have no idea what we were ranked, if we were, when Lynch played his last game but I know that we were 13-3. Not bad.

+1. I suppose it's possible that the team learned of Lynch's situation around the same time, but what happened in the 5-on-3 in the Alabama game really seemed to effect them. They did not play well after that, even though they beat the cupcakes they were supposed to. We weren't ranked when Lynch went out and we weren't headed for a top 3 finish or anything.

To be honest I don’t see the Gophers winning another game this year in the Big Ten. I hope I am wrong but after watching today’s beat down not sure who it would be. But then I had to go shopping (someone had to drive) so I am in a fowl mood.

Hire Robb Smith and then fire Robb Smith. It's the only solution I see in all this. (Apologies if it has already been suggested.)

To be honest I don’t see the Gophers winning another game this year in the Big Ten. I hope I am wrong but after watching today’s beat down not sure who it would be. But then I had to go shopping (someone had to drive) so I am in a fowl mood.

Wow. Pretty hot take

I see them winning several more. Just beat Nebraska.

I, on the the other hand, am in a foul mood.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't win another game. Actually, I'd be mildly surprised if they didn't win two. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win more than two. Nebraska is having a tougher time than us. Northwestern has one good player and a few fair players. Rutgers is probably close to 50/50 and Indiana is winnable. They have four decent shots left.

Sleeping giant?

For the most part the "giants" in the NCAA have already been decided. Duke, Kentucky, etc that have built up their reputation over decades are the "giants" and that will most likely never change. The Gophers will never reach that level.

We could become a good destination but a "giant"? Just no.

You really think they haven't?

Just because you speak it on a message board doesn't mean every player can develop the skills. For all we know Murphy could be taking thousands of shots every day. Maybe Coffey just isn't capable of doing what you think he can do.

Top Bottom