Pitino and the state of the program

Rhoades team must play good defense because he has himself a terrible shooting team. 29% from 3 point range and they shoot a ton of them, about 20 a game. Not a good FG% either.

Maybe he makes my interview list but I think Musselman has the most passion to offer for Gopher basketball of any candidate. Following his dad's footsteps...I think he'd grind to make it happen here.
Alford, while not popular would be an excellent choice. Wins more than Rhoades and has a better recruiting name. All the Hoiberg NBA things fit for Alford too.
I have many questions for Hoiberg...depending on his answers he could be good....maybe best but there are a quite a few unknowns...he seems like a gamble.
I'm open to others but I think Musselman would bring unparalleled passion.

Any good Villa 7 prospects?

It's Pitino sticking with a better defender over a better offensive player. It's not stubborn except for when we struggle on offense. Wisconsins defensive system is very hard for IW to be successful in until his shot becomes more consistent or we have more high % shooters around him. I was more interested in seeing Stull or Hurt play honestly. Hurts ability to find gaps and cut and Stull has the ability to catch fire and hit shots.

Except for when we struggle on offense? That's pretty much all the time. Stull and Hurt provide no offense. Stull made two clutch shots in Madison, but that is literally his only meaningful contribution the entire season. Hurt could help, but he's unwilling to be assertive enough to do so and I've given up hoping that will change.

Alford, while not popular would be an excellent choice. Wins more than Rhoades and has a better recruiting name. All the Hoiberg NBA things fit for Alford too.
I have many questions for Hoiberg...depending on his answers he could be good....maybe best but there are a quite a few unknowns...he seems like a gamble.
I'm open to others but I think Musselman would bring unparalleled passion.

Alford is a decent coach but he rubs people the wrong way wherever he goes. He had some decent teams at Iowa but fans mostly hated him there and were happy when he left for New Mexico. Plus his teams have been known to choke regularly in the NCAA tournament.

As far as grilling Hoiberg during an interview to see if he has the right answers to questions - Did you say that with a straight face or was that supposed to be satire? That's like an upstart film producer with little reputation saying he's willing to interview Tom Hanks if he wants to be in the film but he better have a good interview if he wants the job.

Except for when we struggle on offense? That's pretty much all the time. Stull and Hurt provide no offense. Stull made two clutch shots in Madison, but that is literally his only meaningful contribution the entire season. Hurt could help, but he's unwilling to be assertive enough to do so and I've given up hoping that will change.

Hurt doesnt provide points, however the ball and offense actually move when he is in. Passing and getting open.

I didn't say I agreed with Pitinos logic, but I did understand what he was doing, it wasn't just being stubborn was my point. We had open look threes. Stull can hit those better than anyone not named Kalchauer. If Pree was hitting his shots, we win by double digits. That was Gards plan was to let him be the deciding factor and focus on taking away other people first. Teams like Illinois or Nebraska is where Stull is not as valuable because they'd get up the passing lanes more. Trust me I'm not saying they should play more every game. Hurt does help ball movement when he's in, his willingness to move without the ball is helpful as well.

Curry has been awful on defense all year.
His best moments are better than matz’ best moments, but if he doesn’t have it going on offense Omursa is just as good as him.
Mediocre rebounder and awful defender

Way off on this one. I will agree Curry hasn't been great, but Omersa is lost out there most times. You want to talk someone that can't play defense, Omersa is it.

It's Pitino sticking with a better defender over a better offensive player. It's not stubborn except for when we struggle on offense. Wisconsins defensive system is very hard for IW to be successful in until his shot becomes more consistent or we have more high % shooters around him. I was more interested in seeing Stull or Hurt play honestly. Hurts ability to find gaps and cut and Stull has the ability to catch fire and hit shots.

Also way off on this one. Hurt and Stull are D2 players. Don't you watch the games? They won't give you much if anything. IW has the ability to break anyone in the league down with his dribble and he great handles. His problem has always been about decision making. The last few weeks, he has been MUCH better. I think it's time he gets more minutes as long as he can play within himself and not force things. Hell, he came in against Wisconsin and was the only one to try and push the ball, rather than walk it up and play right into Wisconsin's hands.

Slow, can't score, can't defend. Maybe I should have said not major D1 conference players. They just aren't and if you can't see that by watching the games, then I can't help you.

Slow, can't score, can't defend. Maybe I should have said not major D1 conference players. They just aren't and if you can't see that by watching the games, then I can't help you.

If that's what you meant, then say it. Stull has already established himself as a quality Division I basketball player.

People say stupid things like what you originally said because they don't understand the enormous drop-off from Division I to Division II. Most any 8th-10th man on a major conference Division I team would be a superstar in Division II.

This is probably a master of the obvious take, but for me a significant factor is where Coyle thinks Pitino is with recruiting. If we aren't in a good place, I would hope Coyle would make a change even if we make the tourney (assuming he was confident he could hire a transformative coach). On the other hand, if Coyle feels good about recruiting, then would hope he retains Pitino even if we miss the tournament. There are posters who are much closer than myself to the program who seem to have confidence in Coyle and his contacts and decision-making so feel I would trust whatever decision he ultimately makes.

Also way off on this one. Hurt and Stull are D2 players. Don't you watch the games? They won't give you much if anything. IW has the ability to break anyone in the league down with his dribble and he great handles. His problem has always been about decision making. The last few weeks, he has been MUCH better. I think it's time he gets more minutes as long as he can play within himself and not force things. Hell, he came in against Wisconsin and was the only one to try and push the ball, rather than walk it up and play right into Wisconsin's hands.

Comments like this just scream "I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about."

I do watch the games. I’m not even going to touch the D2 comment. Pitino said today what I said above with Stull. Wisconsin plays pack line defense which is very hard to get drives into the paint. It nuetralizes IW unless you can put more shooters around him. Wisconsin also sent two back on every shot to take away transition. IW did fine, but it’s a tough match up for him. We needed a guy to hit some threes to spread out the defense.

I do watch the games. I’m not even going to touch the D2 comment. Pitino said today what I said above with Stull. Wisconsin plays pack line defense which is very hard to get drives into the paint. It nuetralizes IW unless you can put more shooters around him. Wisconsin also sent two back on every shot to take away transition. IW did fine, but it’s a tough match up for him. We needed a guy to hit some threes to spread out the defense.

They got back so fast - well coached.

Low D1 and good D2 isn’t as big of a drop off, but mid and high majors is a big gap for sure.

If that's what you meant, then say it. Stull has already established himself as a quality Division I basketball player.

People say stupid things like what you originally said because they don't understand the enormous drop-off from Division I to Division II. Most any 8th-10th man on a major conference Division I team would be a superstar in Division II.

Augustana beat Iowa a couple of years ago...

Pitino is running into the same issue Tubby had and can't get recruits to commit. He is down to spring recruits and transfers. This isn't how to build a successful program. I'll support him still but it's obvious things are going well right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Chaminade beat Virginia. What's your point?

My point is if it was as big of a drop off as you are stating, it probably wouldn't happen. You made it sound like its as big of a drop off as it is from the NBA to Duke.

My point is if it was as big of a drop off as you are stating, it probably wouldn't happen. You made it sound like its as big of a drop off as it is from the NBA to Duke.

If Duke played NBA teams 10,000 times, I'm quite certain that they would win at least once.

If Duke played NBA teams 10,000 times, I'm quite certain that they would win at least once.

Yeah if they played 10000 games, more than likely they would run into an NBA team that is really beat up or didn't really care. The Gophers would be 0-10000 though.

Pitino is running into the same issue Tubby had and can't get recruits to commit. He is down to spring recruits and transfers. This isn't how to build a successful program. I'll support him still but it's obvious things are going well right now.

His 2018 class of freshman were all committed in the fall. He had a 4 star PF this fall that committed but mysteriously ($$$$$$) changed to Mizzou otherwise he'd have 2 commits right now. We got 2 brand new assistants which drastically affects recruiting. Don't panic over 1 class yet. Plus Pitinos spring record isn't bad on recruiting.

Yeah if they played 10000 games, more than likely they would run into an NBA team that is really beat up or didn't really care. The Gophers would be 0-10000 though.

You just proved his point. That was Chaminades and Augustansas super bowl. It was a 7 on 7 scrimmage for Virginia/ Iowa.

You know what I meant smart ass.

If someone calls someone a D2 player, it means they think they should be playing D2. If you meant to say something else, why not just say that instead?

His previous class was just terrible- Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa....a bunch of D2 guys at best. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom