Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 587
  1. #346

    Default

    For me, it boils down to this: either we make the NCAAs, or he's gone. I agree completely with DP that 1 tourney in 6 seasons is unacceptable. My bar is set higher than that.

    My top complaints:
    1) Lack of consistency from game to game. How in the GD can we win at Wisconsin and go to Illinois and lose by 27? How can we take periods of time off from game to game? Why the F can't we still consistently beat a zone defense? How can a team with an identity built on rebounding and tempo crap the bed in both like we did last night? It makes you seriously question the mental toughness on this team...a question that only shines brighter after last night's slugfest.
    2) The lack of improvement across an entire season. According to my unscientific eye test, the Gophers don't seem to improve from January to March like almost every other team in the B1G. Look at Illinois....Rutgers...Sparty...Purdue...even Wisconsin. They are the primary examples, but even Indiana, Maryland, Iowa, etc. are showing improvement despite their circumstances. These are teams that improve from game to game, week to week, and the effort is always there no matter what. The Gophers just don't seem to do that. I put that 100% on the coach. We've had plenty of sample size to see this is a trend, not a mirage.

    I don't hate Rick. I just expect more.


  2. #347
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Reality, USA
    Posts
    8,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Not only do we have a more talented roster, we also have a far more athletic roster. How do you allow yourself to be pulled into the pace of play that wisconsin dictates? That's asking to lose. We should have been playing 10+ guys and running up and down the floor.
    Agreed.

    The only problem was we were getting out rebounded or at least appeared so, without looking at the stats.

    One note - walking the ball up the court really irks me.

  3. #348
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    477
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    It’s a bit of a catch-22 trying to run against Wisconsin or Virginia. Yes, there’s a chance you can take them out of their game. But there is a far greater chance that you’ll turn the ball over a bunch trying to run and the game will get away from us quickly.

  4. #349
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Beaver Lodge in Lake Gopher
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Six years is plenty. Team theoretically built to run up and down the court plays Wisconsin ball....poorly. Ability to shoot a jumper seems the last priority in recruiting. Stull turns out to be a shorter Konate. NCAA bid or he should be sent packing. If he was smart he would fly dad up for the rest of the season and get some volunteer coaching help. I was really hoping this would work as he is a funny likable guy. Brutal schedule ahead.

  5. #350
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    So. MN
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    I think the gophers took a hit when they lost a couple assistant coaches. The recruiting has lost some strength and our offense is worse than when we had so called less talent

    They've had a couple historically bad seasons with the other assistants.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

  6. #351
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,696
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I blame none of last nights game on Pitino. Play defense like that, subbing for defense made sense. The game looks ugly because both teams shot it poorly , we got good looks considering it is against a very good defense. Coach can not make shots. One more for us, one less for them and we win. I despise losing but the scouting was there, the plan was great. Turnovers were low. Players need to make shots. He is stuck choosing between Dupree and IW. IW brings the ability to get in the gaps but often gets in trouble there and he had a very poor decision on a shot he took. Worse, Pitino just can not trust his defense. The season does reach the point where he may have to roll with IW. Last night was not Pitino's fault.
    That point was reached long ago and the coach is too stubborn do change. Tubby did the same thing when Nolen got hurt and he insisted that Hoffarber play PG. But his only alternative was a freshman Maverick, so you can at least sympathize that he was probably screwed either way. This is just pure stubbornness. And the fact that we only have one good shooter on the team is indeed Pitino's fault.

    Still sticking with "12-8 minimum"?

  7. #352
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,696
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    I think the gophers took a hit when they lost a couple assistant coaches. The recruiting has lost some strength and our offense is worse than when we had so called less talent
    That is probably why we're sitting with 3 open scholarships, but I don't think Ben or Kamini were here for their X's and O's.

  8. #353
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    12,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    That is probably why we're sitting with 3 open scholarships, but I don't think Ben or Kamini were here for their X's and O's.
    Recruiting is the biggest thing for me wanting a new coaching staff. Pitino has shown he can't be even a little consistent getting quality players. There are too many on this roster that shouldn't be.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

  9. #354
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    477
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    Recruiting is the biggest thing for me wanting a new coaching staff. Pitino has shown he can't be even a little consistent getting quality players. There are too many on this roster that shouldn't be.
    This is life for a program that isn’t a blueblood or paying players with shoe contracts (major overlap there).

    I never expect to get the Matthew Hurts of the world that often. It’s impressive enough that we got Coffey, Oturu, Washington, etc.

    I was never a Washington guy but remember how excited everyone was?

    Coaching leaves a little bit to be desired and beyond that, we’re playing a game on the 3rd tier that a bunch of other major teams are playing.

  10. #355
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,404

    Default

    Circling back to one of the themes of this thread, I feel like I could scout and recruit for Wisconsin. I know exactly what they do, how they do it, what they need, and how they'll use them. On the other hand, if I were told to recruit for Minnesota, I wouldn't know where to start except - as 60s Guy said - get a list of the top 200 players and see who might consider coming here, and then we'll sort them out once they get here.

  11. #356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickDornsby View Post
    I was never a Washington guy but remember how excited everyone was?
    What I now wonder when we get our "best" recruits, and they so often don't pan out... Did the other coaching staffs see what was going to happen and that's how we get them in the first place?

  12. #357
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I blame none of last nights game on Pitino. Play defense like that, subbing for defense made sense. The game looks ugly because both teams shot it poorly , we got good looks considering it is against a very good defense. Coach can not make shots. One more for us, one less for them and we win. I despise losing but the scouting was there, the plan was great. Turnovers were low. Players need to make shots. He is stuck choosing between Dupree and IW. IW brings the ability to get in the gaps but often gets in trouble there and he had a very poor decision on a shot he took. Worse, Pitino just can not trust his defense. The season does reach the point where he may have to roll with IW. Last night was not Pitino's fault.
    I do agree, for the most part. But on the other hand, one characteristic of coaching matters a great deal in a game like this: playing smart and mistake-free to the greatest extent. Besides the shooting situation, the Badgers made fewer mistakes and made more good decisions. I can only remember one or two bad shots they took. Meanwhile, whether it's a small mistake (Gabe passing to Murphy on the fast break instead of taking it himself and letting Jordan rebound) or a big mistake (Murphy trying the exact same high-low pass to Oturu a second time after it resulted in a turnover the first time), the smarter team is going to win that type of game almost every time. That does reflect on the coaching staff's ability to teach situations and judgment on the fly.

  13. #358
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,696
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    Recruiting is the biggest thing for me wanting a new coaching staff. Pitino has shown he can't be even a little consistent getting quality players. There are too many on this roster that shouldn't be.
    Overall I would define Pitino as an above average recruiter and a below average X's and O's coach. I'm not sure that combo works here. If he could land the Hurts' and Jones' (or even just 1/3) it might. But as is, it's not. Give me an average recruiter who can still keep the Kaslshuer and Oturu types and is good with the X's and O's.

  14. #359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Overall I would define Pitino as an above average recruiter and a below average X's and O's coach. I'm not sure that combo works here. If he could land the Hurts' and Jones' (or even just 1/3) it might. But as is, it's not. Give me an average recruiter who can still keep the Kaslshuer and Oturu types and is good with the X's and O's.
    Hey he got 1/4 Hurts/Jones lol

  15. #360
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    6,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Not only do we have a more talented roster, we also have a far more athletic roster. How do you allow yourself to be pulled into the pace of play that wisconsin dictates? That's asking to lose. We should have been playing 10+ guys and running up and down the floor.
    I agree partially, the offense was very frustrating again to watch last night. However, Wisconsin does that to nearly everyone, regardless of talent or athleticism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •