Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Default Pitino and the state of the program

I have been a Pitino supporter, but started to lose confidence in him earlier in the conference season. I started to think he wasn't going to make it and maybe it would be for the best in the long term. But now, since the Illinois road game, I am seeing improvement in the way the team plays defense, the intensity is better and the offense is flowing better. Guys are getting a little better on shot selection, IW is improving. I now think that the best thing for the program is that he wins enough this year to stay. He is an improving coach who I think will continue to get better. Sometimes the moments when your back is pressed against the wall is when you see what you have. I like his reaction so far.

A little perspective on the situation:

1. His record in conference at this moment is virtually identical to Clem Haskins at this point in his tenure...sans the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight squad (which is a big deal). Haskins was a really good coach here and without the scandal, would have retired here after a great career.

2. Last year was not Pitino's fault and that team was a bit better in terms of overall talent and experience than this one. The problems with Lynch and the injuries to Coffey, McBrayer and Curry were not survivable by anyone. Without that happening we would be not be thinking about canning Pitino.

3. The outlook for next year is bright. We'll have a strong starting lineup assuming Coffey stays, which I would think he will do. There has been some concern on the recruiting front considering that we only got one in the Fall. However, it looks like Tre Williams is a steal at this point. Carr and Willis will be added. We need another big guy who can give us minutes and a shooting guard or wing and we should be good.

To me the optimal scenario is for the team to get hot right now, steal a few wins they are dogs in and lock it in people's minds that we will be in the tournament. That would create a positive feeling among prospective recruits for the spring as well as the great 2020 group. I'd love to see this happen and start to build some continuity and growth in this program as opposed to watching flight patterns of private jets in early April.

Go Gophers!

Great post! I agree. I want to see Pitino succeed, and I hope that a tournament berth will help convince some of the all-important 2020 recruits to stay.

I'm one of those who jumped off the ledge after the first Illinois game. But I landed on an awning halfway down, shook myself off, and now I'm Jason Bourne-ing my way back up.

2. …..Nate Mason was also injured

I am (and not shy about it) a Pitino supporter.

I've talked to a couple of former players and they tell me he knows what he is doing and have confidence that, if given longevity, he will win here. Albeit, the first 2 years were a large learning curve for him.

good outlook....couple things

why do we need another shooting guard? we already have gabe & Williams. Plus Willis is a combo guard. And cant Carr even play off the ball?

We no doubt need a big who can come in and be counted on for next year. Oturu, Curry, & Omersa are it at this point. We in reality probably need 2 guys

And IMO we need to find a SF/wing in this class. With Coffey & Hurt being seniors next year I would really like to see a guy added so he has a year to learn behind coffey.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I have been a Pitino supporter, but started to lose confidence in him earlier in the conference season. I started to think he wasn't going to make it and maybe it would be for the best in the long term. But now, since the Illinois road game, I am seeing improvement in the way the team plays defense, the intensity is better and the offense is flowing better. Guys are getting a little better on shot selection, IW is improving. I now think that the best thing for the program is that he wins enough this year to stay. He is an improving coach who I think will continue to get better. Sometimes the moments when your back is pressed against the wall is when you see what you have. I like his reaction so far.

1. His record in conference at this moment is virtually identical to Clem Haskins at this point in his tenure...sans the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight squad (which is a big deal). Haskins was a really good coach here and without the scandal, would have retired here after a great career.

2. Last year was not Pitino's fault and that team was a bit better in terms of overall talent and experience than this one. The problems with Lynch and the injuries to Coffey, McBrayer and Curry were not survivable by anyone. Without that happening we would be not be thinking about canning Pitino.

3. The outlook for next year is bright. We'll have a strong starting lineup assuming Coffey stays, which I would think he will do. There has been some concern on the recruiting front considering that we only got one in the Fall. However, it looks like Tre Williams is a steal at this point. Carr and Willis will be added. We need another big guy who can give us minutes and a shooting guard or wing and we should be good.

To me the optimal scenario is for the team to get hot right now, steal a few wins they are dogs in and lock it in people's minds that we will be in the tournament. That would create a positive feeling among prospective recruits for the spring as well as the great 2020 group. I'd love to see this happen and start to build some continuity and growth in this program as opposed to watching flight patterns of private jets in early April.

Go Gophers!

Well said, think many of us would agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    I'm one of those who jumped off the ledge after the first Illinois game. But I landed on an awning halfway down, shook myself off, and now I'm Jason Bourne-ing my way back up.
    im with you. i threw in the towel on Pitino after the first Illinois game. now that son of a gun has me trying to get back on the wagon.

I'm glad I'm off the edge too.

Recruiting needs for the 3 open schollies:

1. PF or Center, need to replace Murphy's rebounding. Or get someone to make it easier for Oturu.
    2. SF to help Coffey Hurt
    3. another of either

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post

1. PF or Center, need to replace Murphy's rebounding. Or get someone to make it easier for Oturu.
    3. another of either
    agreed.

Good post bga, definitely some solid points. I really like what you said about the injuries/suspensions last year is NOT being indicative of Pitino's ability as a coach. Usually I would cringe making an excuse for someone that large, but it was actually that bad. Your only 2 big men are toast for the year and we lose 2 of our top 3 guards for a significant chunk of the season.

For him to avoid bad down years he needs to stabilize recruiting imo. There has been 2 or 3 seasons where it seems that we whiffed on nearly everyone that was high on our list (not sure if that's accurate and depends on how you want to classify). It seems as if we've settled for some lesser recruits and it has hurt us down the stretch. Lack of bigs/ballhandlers both pop into my mind as things that have happened to hurt us.
    Last edited by MinnGopher; 01-31-2019 at 12:28 PM.

He's not a good coach. And I should know, having never played organized basketball in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
    He's not a good coach. And I should know, having never played organized basketball in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post

3. another of either
    I think we should wait until the end of the year to evaluate Pitino...but regardless of who the coach is I think one of the recruiting needs is PG

We have Washington who the coach doesn’t trust. We don’t have a backup. Coffey and Carr are out of position at PG

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post

Go Gophers!
    Nice assessment. Pretty much agree and I am a coach supporter. The first disaster season when they were young and short handed and he kept them from throwing in the towel proved to me he had what it takes to be a good college coach. I haven’t changed my mind since. In general his teams have improved as the season moves on, players get better. Both of these are upgrades from the previous administration that had better players.

I think he has been a victim of negative recruiting tied to the PR issues and scandals as well as his dads problems and internally with his connection to Norwood.

As I look back I see two recruits that slowed momentum for him. First is Josh Martin. He needed to get a hard nosed over achiever like J’son Stamper but ended up with a guy who quit on him before his first conference game.

The second is Kevin Dorsey. A good player with major character issues who lead the program into negative attention that still probably lingers in recruiting circles. I think without that situation we are probably not even having this conversation.

Not every recruit works out but they can’t drag a program down.

Pitino has been a straight shooter, accepted responsibility, been good with in game adjustments. I did think recruiting would be better by this time.

Starting over now would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post