Pitino and the state of the program

These topics always intrigue me. Yes, there are many things that one can criticize Pitino for in his tenure. But if last year plays out with a healthy and eligible squad like it should’ve we would have had back to back tourney appearances, likely a tourney win or more, and recruiting on the uptick. You can lay some blame on Pitino for bringing Lynch here I suppose although I didn’t hear many complaints the year we made the tourney. But losing Curry and Coffey to injury and having Dupree and Mason fighting through the year not at 100% is not on the head coach. So if we imagine last year was a success the trajectory for this program would be climbing and any discussion of the head coach and his future would be moot. I’ll hang up and wait for the known experts here to rip me apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I think Coyle will be considering things like this, as well as the excellent academic record under Pitino if we miss the tourney. My feeling is that at 9-11 Big Ten and a tourney miss- it will be a close call for Coyle, depending on who they think they can get. 10-10 we are in and Pitino stays for sure. Go 8-12, and Pitino is likely done for.

Lots of support for Pitino and the state of the program. Let’s revisit this thread after the next 3 games. Might be a different outlook on the state of the program if the Gophers lose all three which is highly possible.

Lots of support for Pitino and the state of the program. Let’s revisit this thread after the next 3 games. Might be a different outlook on the state of the program if the Gophers lose all three which is highly possible.

It will definitely be a different outlook. That much we know for sure.

What if they win all three?

I probably should have never raised the Clem comparison because it takes away from the central point. Again, I didn't do it because I feel like they are the same- the point is that Pitino's numbers while not great are exactly the same. People constantly point to the win loss record and say that the numbers tell the whole story. They don't.

Clem took over in much more difficult circumstances.

I'll give you Pitino has done decent, but those 3 are not the ones to prove your point with. Michael Hurt is showing he is D2 quality, Jarvis Johnson never played a game for this program and Jarvis Omersa will never be more than program filler, 10-12 minutes per game type player.
Your teaching hard

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Really?? At Purdue.... whiskey at home....at MSU. The 2 toughest games to play on the road in the BIG10. Have u not watched any big ten games this year??

Really?? At Purdue.... whiskey at home....at MSU. The 2 toughest games to play on the road in the BIG10. Have u not watched any big ten games this year??

Really what? It is highly possible the Gophers lose all 3 games.

And if they do the mood of this thread will certainly change.

Really what? It is highly possible the Gophers lose all 3 games.

And if they do the mood of this thread will certainly change.

With out a doubt they could lose all 3... but it should not change the "mood". Those are 3 good teams. Unfortunately you may be right. Most fans won't understand it.

What if they win all three?

Win @ Michigan State and Purdue in 6 days with a win over Bucky in between? I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Didn’t Royce commit without an offer? The kid was coming to the U regardless of who was coach.

Ah, no...i don't believe that to be the case. I remember talking to an assistant coach at a college the summer before Royce's senior season in high school, and asked him if he thought Tubby would be successful at the U. He told me he wasn't sure. Tubby didn't come into a great situation either for those who don't remember. Anyway, he said you would be able to tell within the next year. He told me if he could get Royce White and Rodney Williams to come to the U, who he didn't think Tubby would get at the time, he would be successful at the U. Tubby got them both, but White never played a game at the U. That whole situation, along with Mbakwe's situation and the injury to Nolen killed Tubby's tenure at the U. If those three situations go the other way, Tubby would probably still be the coach up here. We probably would have gone to at least 4 or 5 more NCAA tournaments the last 10 years also, including every year between 09 until 14.

I don't think Pitino will be replaced this year, unless we have a total meltdown. Suggs is the key. If we miss the tournament this year, struggle a little next year, and miss on the top 2020 state recruits, then Pitino is done I would think. I want to get Suggs here, but probably more so to play QB for the Gophers. I would love to see him play both sports.

With out a doubt they could lose all 3... but it should not change the "mood". Those are 3 good teams. Unfortunately you may be right. Most fans won't understand it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Gophers won any of the games or if they lost any of the games. While I think the B1G is deep, I'm not sure there are any great teams in the B1G. It wouldn't surprise me if we only got two teams to the Sweet 16 and zero to the Elite 8 this year.

Sounds like you’re giving them a pass if they lose all three because they would be losing to good teams.

Losing all three isn’t the end of the world but how about winning 2 out of 3. Prove that the state of the program is as good as some believe it to be.

Sounds like you’re giving them a pass if they lose all three because they would be losing to good teams.

Losing all three isn’t the end of the world but how about winning 2 out of 3. Prove that the state of the program is as good as some believe it to be.

You are the one that emphatically said they would lose all three. The goal is to have the players believe they will win every game they play. Never assume a loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was talking with someone who "supposedly was in the know" - he said we were actually pretty close to getting Flip for a coach. Claims there was interest, but could not come to agreement on a contract. Anyone else heard anything - or was this your typical happy hour BS?

I remember Flip being very close but deciding not to based on the University not approving a few of his assistant coaches or giving them enough of a salary for the assistants. Probably didn't want Ryan to be his assistant because of Tubby's kid's DUI! Or something stupid like that.

As for Whoever was cutting down Pitino and his recruiting using Jarvis as an example, is it customary to have a cardiologist on staff to determine if a kid is worth a schollie or do we base that on his ability to play basketball and the quality of his character? Jarvis with a physical clearance may have been good enough to have his jersey hung in the rafters.

As for Clem and recruiting the big 3 of Tyus, Reid and Vaughn, A former pro basketball player with a final 4 appearance and God only knows what other accomplishments under his belt would have had an excellent chance with these 3 and Macura as well. He definitely would have signed Royce and Rodney and probably would have gotten Royce inside of Williams arena! Damn the fact that we got caught! Why didn't we tell the NCAA that Ganglehoff was available to all University students to help write their papers and not just the basketball team! Whatever lawyer at UNC came up with that defense is genius!

You are the one that emphatically said they would lose all three. The goal is to have the players believe they will win every game they play. Never assume a loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since the odds of us losing the 2 away games is somewhere close to 95% and the odds of losing to Wisconsin are within ten % points of 50%. Why would losing all 3 have any impact on how we feel about the coach.

Getting your ass handed to you by a winless team in conference by nearly 30 pts is unacceptable, but losing @Purdue to Wisconsin and @ Michigan State is pretty much an annual thing for the majority of the B1G.

I'm all in for 2 out of 3. and after last nights Purdue/PSU game...I think they can do it.

All I was saying is those are 3 GOOD teams and it wouldn't be surprising if they went 0-3(I don't think they will)…… People shouldn't panic and start the "fire Pintino" thread again because of it.

GO GOPHERS!!

0-3 would be disappointing.

As season goes, I'm getting more in the keep Pitino bandwagon, although I waffle a bit

These topics always intrigue me. Yes, there are many things that one can criticize Pitino for in his tenure. But if last year plays out with a healthy and eligible squad like it should’ve we would have had back to back tourney appearances, likely a tourney win or more, and recruiting on the uptick. You can lay some blame on Pitino for bringing Lynch here I suppose although I didn’t hear many complaints the year we made the tourney. But losing Curry and Coffey to injury and having Dupree and Mason fighting through the year not at 100% is not on the head coach. So if we imagine last year was a success the trajectory for this program would be climbing and any discussion of the head coach and his future would be moot. I’ll hang up and wait for the known experts here to rip me apart.

This x 100. Kids are drawn to the next shiny thing. I remember the buzz that was building around this team going into the Miami game last year. The building was electric. That loss(without an injured Dupree) was the beginning of the downward spiral. The injuries and stupidity of Lynch should not be on Pitino IMO.

Have written almost exactly this myself many times. Last season divides posters into two groups. Some would go with your interpretation, others not. Of course, goes without saying continued success on the court and in recruiting is required.

It's worth noting that Clem didn't have the best of luck either. Both Jayson Walton and Randy Carter were 4-star caliber players who had chronic injuries while here and would otherwise have been impact players. The 1991 team lost Walter Bond and, was it Lynch or Metcalf, down the stretch; otherwise they would have been at least a NIT team. There were recruiting situations that could have gone either way and would have been huge gets (Doug Wrenn, Chris Webber) but were affected by oddball circumstances out of the coach's control. When it comes to college programs, if it weren't for bad luck there'd be no luck at all.

Since the odds of us losing the 2 away games is somewhere close to 95% and the odds of losing to Wisconsin are within ten % points of 50%. Why would losing all 3 have any impact on how we feel about the coach.

Getting your ass handed to you by a winless team in conference by nearly 30 pts is unacceptable, but losing @Purdue to Wisconsin and @ Michigan State is pretty much an annual thing for the majority of the B1G.

They will beat Wisconsin and beat them handily. They aren't that great of a team.

I think they get their doors blown off by Purdue and the Michigan State game is a close loss. That is what I am going with.

Have written almost exactly this myself many times. Last season divides posters into two groups. Some would go with your interpretation, others not. Of course, goes without saying continued success on the court and in recruiting is required.

Not divided into either camp. I have my own opinion of thinking that the beautiful thing about the whole 5.5 body of work is that it reflects reality. Sure we had terrible injuries last year, over 6 years programs have them. We also had the benefit 4 years ago that Shaka HAD NO ROOM for Murph . Point is things happen to every program but the record is the record and in total is truly horrible. With that said, i stand by him and the team this year and still expect 13-7. If we do not get that, which i do think would be the high water mark no matter how long he is here as the conference is going to get really good, i would not dump him unless we miss the tourney. Iam going all in on winning at least 2 of the next 3.

I point out how unusual it would be for any McDonald's all american to stay home and you now suggest Clem pulls a miracle and gets all 3 from Minnesota in the same class. This isn't 20 years ago it is super rare for a McDonald's all american to stay home. Minnesota will have a few now a few years in a row and very few nationally would say they will stay home based on statistics.

As for Clem and recruiting the big 3 of Tyus, Reid and Vaughn, A former pro basketball player with a final 4 appearance and God only knows what other accomplishments under his belt would have had an excellent chance with these 3 and Macura as well. He definitely would have signed Royce and Rodney and probably would have gotten Royce inside of Williams arena! Damn the fact that we got caught! Why didn't we tell the NCAA that Ganglehoff was available to all University students to help write their papers and not just the basketball team! Whatever lawyer at UNC came up with that defense is genius!

It's worth noting that Clem didn't have the best of luck either. Both Jayson Walton and Randy Carter were 4-star caliber players who had chronic injuries while here and would otherwise have been impact players. The 1991 team lost Walter Bond and, was it Lynch or Metcalf, down the stretch; otherwise they would have been at least a NIT team. There were recruiting situations that could have gone either way and would have been huge gets (Doug Wrenn, Chris Webber) but were affected by oddball circumstances out of the coach's control. When it comes to college programs, if it weren't for bad luck there'd be no luck at all.

Clem was in the game until the end for Allen Iverson....that would have been fun. He was well liked and respected and had shots at a lot of big time players. He just had a hard time closing the deal, probably because we hadn't had much success up here and it's cold in the winter. That's why the Final Four could have been the start of great things and then the program got the door slammed on it hard.

I point out how unusual it would be for any McDonald's all american to stay home and you now suggest Clem pulls a miracle and gets all 3 from Minnesota in the same class. This isn't 20 years ago it is super rare for a McDonald's all american to stay home. Minnesota will have a few now a few years in a row and very few nationally would say they will stay home based on statistics.

Had Clem stayed this program would have been a top 5 Big Ten program though. Think of that for a minute before you go and think he had no chance at those kids. I would have liked his chances with the talent in the state the last 5 years for getting at least some of them.

One hell of a likeable guy that knew how to win. The biggest travesty in the U of M sports history is how they wouldn't stand behind him.

Clem was in the game until the end for Allen Iverson....that would have been fun. He was well liked and respected and had shots at a lot of big time players. He just had a hard time closing the deal, probably because we hadn't had much success up here and it's cold in the winter. That's why the Final Four could have been the start of great things and then the program got the door slammed on it hard.

Do not cheat or lie. Serious consequences. They may not care at UNC but we do. Allen Iverson was never going to come here. He was going to play in the Big East or play football in the south.

Top Bottom